2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Amy H Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I am looking for a good portable/stage piano that’s around £500-£600 new or used.

Something that ideally has speakers built-in, has a good action that’s comparable to Kawai’s GF-3 action, (I bought a CA79 last year), and some decent sounds and features. I’d buy a Nord, but I’m not spending THAT much on one!!

I’m going to start gigging with a friend at some point and I would like my own set of keys that won’t break the bank!

Hope you can help :-)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
While not a stage piano at all, imo the one that comes closest might be the Roland FP-30(X). The high standard of the Kawai GF-3 action you're looking for cannot be matched by lower end keyboard, but the Roland might work for you, looking at your overall requirements.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by mmathew
While not a stage piano at all, imo the one that comes closest might be the Roland FP-30(X)
Why do you say it is not a stage piano? While I'd prefer 1/4" outputs and 5-pin MIDI jacks on a stage piano, I think those Rolands still qualify as stage pianos, and I see that vendors do refer to them that way. I'd probably suggest the Kawai ES-110, though, if that can be found in the price range. Or used, its ES-100 predecessor.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by mmathew
While not a stage piano at all, imo the one that comes closest might be the Roland FP-30(X)
Why do you say it is not a stage piano? While I'd prefer 1/4" outputs and 5-pin MIDI jacks on a stage piano, I think those Rolands still qualify as stage pianos, and I see that vendors do refer to them that way. I'd probably suggest the Kawai ES-110, though, if that can be found in the price range. Or used, its ES-100 predecessor.

Maybe I was just comparing it to the RD-2000 for stage capabilities. It's not a fair comparison.

FP-30(X) on stage - if the performance doesn't call for those advanced capabilities, then why not? It most certainly can be used.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
R
R
I would suggest you compile a list of must haves vs wants for your gigging needs. At the lower end, the budget boards often lack some features that'd be crucial for you.

The ES-110 and ES520 would probably be the closest in feel, given they're both Kawai and I've heard there's a Kawai feel. Both these boards have a light touch, which I personally prefer.

If I were gigging I'd want the updated features on the es520. The es110 lacks an aux in, USB port for a computer, a screen, etc. The es520 weighs 6 pounds more but has much improved speakers, more sounds, and the basics you'd need.

If you really need to stick to a really low budget, I understand the fp-30x has some nice features.

Randy
Studiologic Numa Piano X73 / Kawai ES920 / Yamaha PSR EW-410 / Casio CT-X5000
Melodica / Alto recorder / iPad music apps
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Yes, it depends on the gigging. I can do a lot of my classical and jazz gigs with a Kawai ES8, no extra sound reinforcement required, which means you could probably do the same with an ES520 or 920. And it would have sounds you're familiar with. But not so much for rock or pop covers.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission