2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (Asmaa, antune, anotherscott, AlphaBravoCharlie, Ben_NZ, Alex Hutor, CyberGene, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,294 guests, and 584 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3104648 04/10/21 06:20 PM
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
I don't think any digital does this properly, do they?
When you press the loud pedal, you'll get this whoosh! of the damper resonance which is great in those digitals which have it, and the VSTs too.
However, when you depress the damper pedal, it also releases the damper bar with your feet, so your fingers are freed to play the note without the extra load of this damper on it. It becomes lighter to play, and will sound louder if you don't adjust for it.
Indeed, you can on an acoustic, exploit this turn of affairs, and create a nice lilt in your playing; a periodic swell to the music which is part of the piano experience. A necessary part, some might add.
I know of no digital that achieves this, either by mechanical means (which would lighten the keys) or by electronic means (which would increase the volume somewhat) to achieve a similar result when the pedal is depressed.
Even the Yamaha N3X only gives you a calibrated feel to the action of a grand; no mention of the other.
Am I right, or horribly wrong?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
However, when you depress the damper pedal, it also releases the damper bar with your feet, so your fingers are freed to play the note without the extra load of this damper on it. It becomes lighter to play, and will sound louder if you don't adjust for it.
Indeed, you can on an acoustic, exploit this turn of affairs, and create a nice lilt in your playing; a periodic swell to the music which is part of the piano experience. A necessary part, some might add.

The Kawai Novus NV10 does exactly this. It feels pretty authentic as far as I can tell and it definitely impacts my playing in a similar way to what you described.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
+1. This is exactly what the NV-10 and NV-5 do. The Novus hybrids have the full damper bar assembly mechanically linked to the damper pedal, and also individual damper weights on each key in a full back action assembly (minus the wire raisers and felts of course).

When you play with the damper pedal down, all they keys go lighter weight. When the damper pedal is up, you can feel the engagement point when the keystick contacts the damper weights and start lifting them. And if you drop the damper pedal with keys down, you feel the damper weights in your fingers as they drop back onto the keys.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Thanks for that, guys! And they're the only two to do this? I'm surprised, particularly since this valuable aid to piano enjoyment is not replicated in electronic form at least, even on higher end digitals.
On a silent piano, I imagine the effect would also translate to the digial reproduction too because the mechanics will still operate and lighten the keys.
I think I could tolerate a silent Kawai in my little office . .

Last edited by peterws; 04/10/21 07:14 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
>> When you press the loud pedal,

What's this loud pedal?

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
On a silent piano, I imagine the effect would also translate to the digial reproduction too because the mechanics will still operate and lighten the keys.

I think so. A silent piano would drop a silent rail to block the hammers but wouldn't affect the damper bar.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
P
P
Originally Posted by Gombessa

I think so. A silent piano would drop a silent rail to block the hammers but wouldn't affect the damper bar.

Can confirm, there is no difference in action + damper mechanisms between silent and acoustic modes, except that in silent mode the hammers are stopped by a bar just before they would hit the strings. Since the latter happens after let-off, you cannot feel this.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Any dp without a real damper mechanism could easily adjust volume or slightly soften the velocity curve when pressing the sustain pedal to give the impression of slightly lighter keys. Of course this should be a feature that can be turned off, as not everyone will want that.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I've noticed when playing an acoustic grand I quickly notice that I can half pedal, probably not well because of inexperience but something I can play with and I find almost impossible with the pedal unit on my MP11se. But also the same on a couple of DPs.

Has anyone been able to play with half pedalling to their satisfaction on a DP, which DP worked for you and also perhaps which virtual piano?

peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew

What's this loud pedal?

Aww, come on! smile Some of us aren't so posh . . . .

"[Linked Image]"
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
Any dp without a real damper mechanism could easily adjust volume or slightly soften the velocity curve when pressing the sustain pedal to give the impression of slightly lighter keys. Of course this should be a feature that can be turned off, as not everyone will want that.

It shouldn't be turned off; it's part of the piano. Volume adjustment perhaps. But the question that bothers me is . . .why haven't they done this a long time ago? I could almost design such a simple electrical mechanism myself using the back of a fag packet . . .

"[Linked Image]"
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
It shouldn't be turned off; it's part of the piano. Volume adjustment perhaps. But the question that bothers me is . . .why haven't they done this a long time ago? I could almost design such a simple electrical mechanism myself using the back of a fag packet . . .

I feel this way about many products I encounter, (usually physical products.) For example pianoteq, you are modartt and take your modelled piano serious, I would think. It is modelled so you don't have to bother with samples, and then you don't take advantage of this fact and implement a modeled version of "repetition samples" to make your vst sound way more authentic/less sterile? (This is when you have the sustain pedal pressed down and you hit the same key twice or more, on an acoustic piano it sounds slightly different/more "stringy".) Vsl's vienna imperial has repetition samples for this. I would think this would be very easy to implement on a modelled piano. Come to think of it, probably not too hard to implement a bit of modelling for this feature on a sampled piano (without extra samples) either.

Quite often products frustrate me a bit because they could be much better with obvious and easy changes. I guess some company's don't actually use their own products, or I'm just that innovative. smirk Actually I tend to modify things to my liking whenever I see the possibility.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
The VSL synchron pianos adjust the velocity applied when the loud/sustain (everyone happy 😛) pedal is depressed. I am not certain how well this mimics the feel and behaviour of an acoustic.

With an acoustic your fingers will notice that with a similar physical force the key will move more quickly with the sustain pedal pressed. You get a physical feedback as well as the audible feedback.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by KevinM
Has anyone been able to play with half pedalling to their satisfaction on a DP, which DP worked for you and also perhaps which virtual piano?

Hello,

I am not classically trained so much as to consider myself proficient in half-pedaling at any level, yet, I have a setup that is satisfactory to my taste in this regard.

I solely play Modern U (by VI Labs) which has an excellent way to set MIDI pedal behavior to your liking, and can handle up to five pedals and/or parameter controls like wheels/knobs/sliders.

Of course the hardware is an important component as well; unfortunately the pedal functionality of my Roland FP-10 is insufficient for any refined pedal behavior. So I chose a third-party decent piano-like continuous pedal, and concocted (as in contemplated, designed, soldered, tested, changed, soldered again, you get it) a direct interface from pedal to PC.

All of this works a dream (to me at least). In a later stage, I may be able to share details so that more of us can benefit from this approach. This will take more time, though.

Cheers and happy pedaling,

HZ

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Originally Posted by KevinM
Of course the hardware is an important component as well; unfortunately the pedal functionality of my Roland FP-10 is insufficient for any refined pedal behavior. So I chose a third-party decent piano-like continuous pedal, and concocted (as in contemplated, designed, soldered, tested, changed, soldered again, you get it) a direct interface from pedal to PC.

All of this works a dream (to me at least). In a later stage, I may be able to share details so that more of us can benefit from this approach. This will take more time, though.

I think it is the DP hardware that is the problem at least for me. There is something very different in the feel of the pedal when lifting something up and down as in an acoustic piano than working against a spring. I find the necessary control for half pedalling very difficult on my MP11se pedal unit so inevitably my foot is just resting with the pedal not pressed or the pedal fully down.

peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Hello,

I solely play Modern U (by VI Labs) which has an excellent way to set MIDI pedal behavior to your liking, and can handle up to five pedals and/or parameter controls like wheels/knobs/sliders.

HZ

And THIS is what we need to hear! Manufacturers, Get on with it! We will accept no more the tasty morsels thrown from the rich man's table!. We are not dogs! Ye shall be judged by your responses ye scurvy knaves!
Commendation to Kawai; thou may well be saved from ye judgement to fall . . . .

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

What's this loud pedal?

I seriously didn't know :-( And I looked it up after this reply...

I came to piano learning via the digital route, and then touched acoustics only when in the store to buy a digital, so I had no idea that the damper pedal is also referred to as loud pedal.

Last edited by mmathew; 04/11/21 06:52 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello,

HZ

And THIS is what we need to hear! Manufacturers, Get on with it! We will accept no more the tasty morsels thrown from the rich man's table!. We are not dogs! Ye shall be judged by your responses ye scurvy knaves!
Commendation to Kawai; thou may well be saved from ye judgement to fall . . . .

Speaking of pedals and Kawai.

A 3 pedal unit came with the Kawai VPC1. It performed great and the only complaint I had was that the unit kept slipping gently behind when the pedal was being used. Which I fixed by putting it on some rubber casters. A friend of mine has an SL88 Grand keyboard + pedal unit. I swear that this pedal unit is the exact same as the one that came with Kawai, look & feel, weight, construction - everything, except the logos on the top (the SL's logo was better, Kawai's seemed like a stuck label).

Sourcing from same manufacturer, I suspect Fatar? Sorry for the OT!

G. K. Chesterton
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member

What's this loud pedal?

I seriously didn't know :-( And I looked it up after this reply...

I came to piano learning via the digital route, and then touched acoustics only when in the store to buy a digital, so I had no idea that the damper pedal is also referred to as loud pedal.

Maybe I learnt something today. My dad always shouted for me to take my foot off the loud pedal. He probably thought it was the accelerator or something. And he bought the bl**dy thing in the first place though I never reminded him of this . . . ..

"[Linked Image]"
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Does your piano also have a gear shifter and a clutch? smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Does this voicing request make sense?
by NightShade - 07/31/21 05:33 AM
Interesting VST vs inbuilt Sounds observation
by OU812 - 07/31/21 02:33 AM
First audio recordings
by wouter79 - 07/31/21 01:52 AM
Practicing Piano with VST and Metronome
by Xell_3 - 07/31/21 01:43 AM
New UVI Workstation
by OzarkCDN - 07/31/21 01:32 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,299
Posts3,117,801
Members102,285
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission