2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (AprilE, anotherscott, 716GoBills, bsalad, AlphaTerminus, 1957, 9 invisible), 287 guests, and 525 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
ADWyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I used Pianoteq with no problems on my old DELL Windows 10 desktop computer, but since buying a new DELL desktop I can't get Pianoteq to work. I've downloaded three different drivers for the program to make sure I had the right one for my Scarlett 2i2 interface, but version three said that there was no connection coming into the computer from the 2i2. I suspected the cable might be the problem, and so I bought a new one from Best Buy, but that didn't work. I tried connecting the cable into different USB inputs, both 3.0 and 2.0, and that didn't make any difference.

Whenever I open Pianoteq on my desktop it will by default go to ASIO and use the Scarlett setting, just as it did on the old computer. The sample songs and tones work over my headphones, but when I play the keys of my Kawai CA65 there is nothing. I am going to contact DELL to see if there is something I should be doing as far as audio is concerned, and I will also email both Modartt and Focusrite to see what they might suggest. I have a feeling, though, that I may be forced to buy a new Focusrite interface.

I have to apologize in advance for giving the impression that I may be going a little too far in trying to get Pianoteq to work, but my doctor is not allowing me to work now, in preparation for major surgery next month, and my house needs a new front deck and roof, both of which are quite expensive. I may be able to return to work toward the end of the year, but upgrading to a new digital piano will be out of the question until at least 2023. For now Pianoteq can give me some nice tonal variety in my playing.

If anyone in the meantime can give me some suggestions on what I may be able to do to get Pianoteq working through my new computer, I would very much appreciate your input. Thanks in advance for all help anyone may be able to give.

Last edited by ADWyatt; 04/09/21 02:25 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You should check the MIDI settings in Pianoteq. That’s what the piano is sending - MIDI. Make sure the Kawai is visible there and chosen as a MIDI input.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C

A
ADWyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo

Oh yes. Thanks for including that. I feel embarrassed that I forgot about my previous letter. At any rate, I've tried everything that was previously suggested, and it's been a no-go. I have a strong feeling, though, that it's probably some ultra-tiny thing that's holding me up, and could easily be fixed, but I can't find where it's at. I'll see what contacting these various companies will produce. Wish me luck.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Your problem is not audio related, but MIDI related, if I am reading your post right. How is the CA65 physically connected to your desktop?

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ADWyatt
I used Pianoteq with no problems on my old DELL Windows 10 desktop computer, but since buying a new DELL desktop I can't get Pianoteq to work.

Can we assume you downloaded and installed Pianoteq on your new DELL computer ?

Or did you do some type of backup and restore from the old computer onto the new computer.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
KRK 5" Studio Monitors or Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers or SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
A
ADWyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Your problem is not audio related, but MIDI related, if I am reading your post right. How is the CA65 physically connected to your desktop?

(Please read the direct answer to your question in my last paragraph.)

I completely disconnected my Focusrite just recently, but when it was connected the USB cable was inserted into the back of the 2i2 via the USB 2.0 insert, which is shaped sort of like a little house. The other end of the cable was plugged into a USB insert in the back of my DELL 8940 Windows 10 computer. When that didn't seem to work, I tried other USB ports, but that didn't make a difference.

On the front of the 2i2 I inserted the wire from the headphones, and would listen to tones through the DT 770 Pros. I don't remember any other wiring being done. On my old computer I had to first turn on the CA65, and then I could access Pianoteq. But I think (maybe) that the 48V light on the front of the Focusrite was green on my old computer, while it's definitely red now. Is that an indication that I'm not properly connected?

At least as far as I'm aware, when I would press a key on the CA65 it would send that into the computer to be processed by Pianoteq, and the modelled piano voice of that key would be sent from Pianoteq into my headphones via the cable connection. But now, being a senior citizen and not quite so alert as I used to be, I wonder if the USB insert on the CA65 was being used. I don't think so, because I didn't touch anything on the piano end; I only disconnected plugs from my old computer. I think. Still, it does seem rather odd that my CA65 isn't actually physically connected to my desktop computer. There is a USB insert there, and if my memory isn't too foggy, I thought maybe that plug-in might have been filled, and I guess maybe the plug was supposed to go into the computer. If so, I wonder why I might have taken that plug out of my CA65; in short, I wonder if I disconnected something somewhere and completely forgot about it.

Thanks again in advance for any help you may be able to offer that might help me to reconnect.

Last edited by ADWyatt; 04/09/21 05:16 PM.
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
ADWyatt can't you post a picture(s) of your set-up for us to see.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
There needs to be a USB cable between the Kawai and the computer to transmit the piano key events to Pianoteq.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
There needs to be a USB cable between the Kawai and the computer to transmit the piano key events to Pianoteq.

+1.

If there's no wire, MIDI data cannot flow.

. . . Still, it does seem rather odd that my CA65 isn't actually physically connected to my desktop computer.

That could, indeed, be the problem.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
A
ADWyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Pianoteq is working! And Daddy's having STEAK tonight!!

But buying the HDMI to USB cable, to connect my CA65 to my computer, was a bit of an adventure. Staples told me that such a cable, which they sold, wouldn't work with a digital piano, since the front of the box clearly said that it was for printers only. So I went to Best Buy, and the salesgirl told me that was rubbish; HDMI is HDMI, regardless of whether it's on a digital piano or a printer. And indeed, everything connected and worked like a charm.

Version 6.7 sounded really nice, but I just had to upgrade to version 7.3, and that sounds gorgeous. The weakness of Pianoteq has always been on the lowest and highest end, but bass and high treble in this newest release sound superb to me, although I'm only an intermediate-level pianist. Especially impressive were the new Petrof modelled pianos. For all of the piano voices I'm having zero latency, and all tones are coming through my 770s with what I'm hearing as perfect clarity. I can't want for more.

My surgeon has told me that while I won't be allowed to lift anything heavier than five pounds for six weeks after surgery, once I'm off pain medication there's no reason that I can't play my piano, although I have to limit myself because of fatigue. That sure beats watching Netflix all day and night long.

Finally, I couldn't have figured out the problem I was having without the tremendous input you were all kind enough to give, and I'm deeply grateful to all of you. With that, it's back to practice. The steak can wait.

O
O
The cable shaped like a little house? That's a USB-A cable, rather than hdmi.

Congrats on getting things going!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sorry I could not answer earlier due to time zone difference, but I am glad it was just that, as I suspected. Now enjoy it!

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So, a salesgirl told you this is HDMI to USB?
[Linked Image]

Do these people get paid to work that? Or was she from the cheese department substituting the electronics guy who was taking a leak?

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/10/21 03:30 AM.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OU812
The cable shaped like a little house? That's a USB-A cable, rather than hdmi.
I would say USB-A to USB-B cable.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
V
V
CG: don't blame the girl... I think that the OP asked for a HDMI to USB cable and she somehow managed to get him the correct A-B usb cable.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well, it’s all working now which is what matters 😉

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene
the electronics guy who was taking a leak?

Surely, you meant to say:

‘the electronics guy who was fixing a leak’.........

I don’t think one can simply take a leak and put it in a toolbox; this is not possible with current physics. Now, patching/fixing such leak is possible and would prevent further leaks (unless the fix was not properly done; in such a case, you should not have hired your cousin for the job, and yes, now you have a reoccurring leak which will need professional fixing).

So I say, get it done right the first time and hire a professional plumber!

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by CyberGene
the electronics guy who was taking a leak?

Surely, you meant to say:

‘the electronics guy who was fixing a leak’.........

I don’t think one can simply take a leak and put it in a toolbox; this is not possible with current physics. Now, patching/fixing such leak is possible and would prevent further leaks (unless the fix was not properly done; in such a case, you should not have hired your cousin for the job, and yes, now you have a reoccurring leak which will need professional fixing).

So I say, get it done right the first time and hire a professional plumber!
It's probably correct, the guy was likely urinating.

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Gad you got it working. Now enjoy Pianoteq and prayers sent your way for a quick recovery.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Trying to identify the maker of my old piano
by PianoLover90 - 06/24/21 11:30 PM
Haunted Piano !?!
by Retsacnal - 06/24/21 07:34 PM
Do you have this problem with Steinway?
by RonaldSteinway - 06/24/21 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,688
Posts3,107,025
Members101,897
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission