2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (apianostudent, 36251, brdwyguy, Bruce In Philly, ambrozy, 22 invisible), 1,393 guests, and 603 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 92 of 96 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 95 96
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by treefrog
Heart and Soul in 5A is a real test of endurance. shocked

I can play it at speed for a while but then my mind starts to panic and it all goes to pieces. grin

It’s great practice for playing without looking at your hands as you stop looking at them without even realising.

Glad I'm not alone. After practicing the same piece over and over I sometimes have that, suddenly my fingers lead their own life and play all the notes except the ones on my sheet. laugh

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
Online Content
T
Originally Posted by Sarah65

I can play it at speed for a while but then my mind starts to panic and it all goes to pieces. grin

It’s great practice for playing without looking at your hands as you stop looking at them without even realising.

Glad I'm not alone. After practicing the same piece over and over I sometimes have that, suddenly my fingers lead their own life and play all the notes except the ones on my sheet. laugh

This particular exercise has been a great learning experience for me and is unlike any of the previous pieces.

I have discovered that not only can I play it without looking at my hands but that looking at my hands was actually a hinderance and was holding me back.

Although I’ve been working on it for the best part of a week, I’m thoroughly enjoying it and feel that I’m at a major landmark.

At first I thought that it would be impossible for me to be able to keep up the repetition for such a long period of time but now I’m starting to understand that this is more of a mental exercise rather than a physical one.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
Originally Posted by Sarah65

This particular exercise has been a great learning experience for me and is unlike any of the previous pieces.

I have discovered that not only can I play it without looking at my hands but that looking at my hands was actually a hinderance and was holding me back.

Although I’ve been working on it for the best part of a week, I’m thoroughly enjoying it and feel that I’m at a major landmark.

At first I thought that it would be impossible for me to be able to keep up the repetition for such a long period of time but now I’m starting to understand that this is more of a mental exercise rather than a physical one.

Other than Chopsticks, Heart and Soul is probably the most-played (and most fun) piece ever on the piano.
Definitely the most-played duet on the piano.

Last edited by trooplewis; 03/28/21 12:28 PM.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
L
L
I finished off slow & fast Heart and Soul this morning. I had a way harder time with slow due to PM's inability to deal with even slightly-swung 8th notes -- I had to make myself really count it in straight time. It only took 3 runs to get through it on fast @ 100%.

edit: love that version directly above

Last edited by loydb; 03/28/21 02:56 PM.
T
Online Content
T
Originally Posted by loydb
I finished off slow & fast Heart and Soul this morning. I had a way harder time with slow due to PM's inability to deal with even slightly-swung 8th notes -- I had to make myself really count it in straight time. It only took 3 runs to get through it on fast @ 100%.

edit: love that version directly above

I prefer the Tom Hanks and Robert Loggia version smile

L
L
Any advice on the Canon in C arpeggios with the left hand? I'm flailing with them with just 1 hand, never mind adding in the RH.

Any advice on the Canon in C arpeggios with the left hand? I'm flailing with them with just 1 hand, never mind adding in the RH.
That was one of the hardest lessons in PM. I barely made it out with an 81% score...

The best advice that I can give is (1) Memorize the right hand so well that you don't have to look at your RH fingers.
(2) Keep practicing the arpeggios with the left hand. They are basically just broken up chords of Am, Em, F, G and C. Practice them every time you sit down at the keyboard once or twice. You will find the the finger spacing is the same for all the chords, you just go from the first chord note to the 5th, and then hit them all in order. Play this a LOT before moving to the next step.

Once you have the fingering down, combine and play SLOWLY with the right hand. When you have to look at the keyboard, you should be able to just focus on your left hand if you have the right hand memorized. Gradually speed up as you get better. It's a tough lesson; when you get past it, PM gets easier for awhile.

Casio PX-S3000
T
Online Content
T
'Missing You' is a pretty little tune.

I love the diversity in the 'Method' section. You never know what you’re going to get next.

I’m going to enjoy this one.

L
L
@trooplewis

Thanks for the suggestions! The secret is apparently going to be to just memorize the whole damn thing so I can pay attention to the keys in the arp sections. I got 17-34 @ 100% this morning, so I'm halfway through the hard section.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
"Leave a light on" from Marble sounds. A Belgian group and this was the theme song for the movie "Broken circle breakdown". On my wish list for a long time to learn, but always found it too difficult. Thank you Piano Marvel for being able to do it now. I've come a long way since my problems with "Arabia" smile

L
L
Very nice!

L
L
Update on Canon in C. I'm 5 hours and 45 minutes into practicing it. I've got 100% on everything in 5-C except the final complete piece where I'm at 87%. I'm hoping to nail it 100% this weekend. It has been really fun to learn and to watch my arpeggios get better.

T
Online Content
T
Update on Canon in C. I'm 5 hours and 45 minutes into practicing it. I've got 100% on everything in 5-C except the final complete piece where I'm at 87%. I'm hoping to nail it 100% this weekend. It has been really fun to learn and to watch my arpeggios get better.

I’m nearing the end of 5A.

It’ll probably be a couple of months before I reach it but I have to say that I’m looking forward to Canon in C.

It sounds like a major hurdle and I'll be intrigued to see how I handle it.

You're a better player than me! I'm at 6B but the best I could get on Canon in C was mid-80 percents. Nice job. I was just happy to be done with it.

Casio PX-S3000
L
L
@Treefrog - I would massively agree that memorizing it is almost mandatory, particularly if you're going for 100%. And the bulk of my practice on it was done using the level 5 PDF of the score rather than trying to play it in Practice mode (I actually hate Practice mode though).

Hi there!
I joined yesterday to try it out.
I'm on pc win10, babyface pro fs interface.
I got some problem with cracking and other noise after playing a while? is it common?
I gave my firewall access but it doesn't help.
Using chrome, is Firefox better?
Seems like a nice way to learn some piano.
Is the video lessons worth it if you're into classical?
There's some offer I have to decide about but is a bit unsure since the crack/noise.

I play piano, bansuri flute, guitars and compose meditative relaxing music! :-)
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Relaxing_Music
Hi there!
I joined yesterday to try it out.
I'm on pc win10, babyface pro fs interface.
I got some problem with cracking and other noise after playing a while? is it common?
I gave my firewall access but it doesn't help.
Using chrome, is Firefox better?
Seems like a nice way to learn some piano.
Is the video lessons worth it if you're into classical?
There's some offer I have to decide about but is a bit unsure since the crack/noise.

I think the crackling sound is something in your system or cables, it has nothing to do with Piano Marvel. In my experience, Google Chrome is the best choice, in Firefox I got a lot of errors. What do you mean by video lessons? The library is full of classic pieces that you can play freely. For a good connection look here:

Thank you Sarah for trying to help me! :-)
Good to hear that you don't have had any problems in Chrome. I downloaded Firefox and it seems to work better for me, these computers and software.
Pianomarvel doesn't reconise my usb midi in Chrome but I just saw that it works in Firefox (after I my post)?
I had to connect it through the midi of the babyface in Chrome.
I'll contact support. It's crackling noise during playback too and I use my DAW everyday without problem.
I'll think I'll stick to evaluate pianomarvel for free instead of upgrade if the problem occur regularly.

The offer look like this.
Get the Piano Master Series ($150 value) video collection for free if you upgrade your Piano Marvel account in the next 24 hours. https://vimeo.com/393765298
I was wonder about the quality of the lessons but since this problem is I better solve that first with their support.

Last edited by Relaxing_Music; 04/11/21 02:28 PM.

I play piano, bansuri flute, guitars and compose meditative relaxing music! :-)
L
L
Try changing your buffer size, that might help.

Also, I'm up to 92% on 5-C. Closing in.

H
H
Wish I was able to show some progress, but I've been stuck lately on the 4a books. The last one to get a passing grade will be the C scale one. I can't believe how fast you need to move to do that lesson! I totally feel unprepared for it despite knowing the C scale for a couple years.

I already know. enough venting, more practicing! :P

currently on the 4A books on Piano Marvel
Page 92 of 96 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 95 96

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,265
Posts3,117,134
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission