2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (clothearednincompo, Chouca, aidans, Christopher90, dhts, Bett, Calavera, abwesend, 1957, 7 invisible), 800 guests, and 486 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mojoe Offline OP
OP Offline
M
A number of years ago, I bought a Casio Privia digital piano, and was trying to teach myself with one of the Alfred books. I didn't get too far, when certain life and job issues got in the way.

Things have settled down, most of the stressful life issues have gone away, and I now have a job that pays much better. So, I decided to try learning piano again.

After reading reviews and watching YT videos, I decided to go all in for a quality electronic piano. I bought a Roland FP-90X. Now, I am far from an expert when it comes to how a piano should feel or sound, but I really like the FP-90X. I think it is much better than the Casio that I had before.

I also bought a Z-stand and an adjustable bench. I never liked the X-stand, as I was always hitting my knees on the crosspiece.

This time, I am going to go with a chord approach, suplemented with extra material for theory and sight reading. Also, I now have more leasure time to devote to this. The good thing is, despite it being quite a while since I had the Casio, I actually remembered the few things that I had learned before. I was surprised that I could still play a couple of simple melodies from memory.

I wish that I had been able to pursue this when I was a child, but with seven kids in the family, it wasn't going to happen :-) Well, this not-so-old man is going to give it his best.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
For some reason, I get the feeling that you might be interested in this ....

https://www.pianomagic.com/

Good Luck to you

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
KRK 5" Studio Monitors or Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers or SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
mojoe - Welcome to the forum. Good choice on your new digital piano - real nice. Sounds like a good approach. Have you decided on specific books?

Good luck on your piano journey,

Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
M
mojoe Offline OP
OP Offline
M
dmd - Thanks for the link. I will save it for later. Although I have identified a few different online/subscription lessons, I'm going to hold off purchasing any of them for now. I want to get a better feel for what I may need before committing to a subscription course.

Stormbringer - To start with, I'm going to use Piano for All. I also have some Android apps to help with note recognition. I also found quite a few YT videos that cover a variety of topics. Later, I may fill in some holes with more traditional material. I'll see how I progress, and what I think I need.

I really like the feel of the keys on the FP-90X, and the instrument sounds are very good to my ears. I know that everyone has their likes and dislikes when it comes to the various brands and models. I did consider other brands, and some less expensive models. I finally decided that instead of trying to save a buck, I'd be better off buying a top end model. The initial purchase is always painful, but I've learned that buying quality makes more sense for a long term purchase.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Besides doing things by trial & error, you should get into a more systematic approach. If you decide to go with a teacher, try a few lessons with each and see which one is right for you. If you prefer to do it on you own, you can look into an online program like Piano Marvel or Simply Piano. Start with the basics and add your own songs when you mastered a few pieces on the beginner's list.

In my younger days I tried a few piano lessons at age 5 but didn't work out. Didn't touch a keyboard again until 3 decades later. I was a slow learner in the past so I wouldn't imagine myself playing even an easy song on a piano. On the other hand, I'm defying the odds starting piano later in life. People in the family who took lessons as a child all said you need to start at a young age, put in hours of practice to get somewhere. Today we're living longer and adults are taking up hobbies later in life. As an adult learner I have no regrets starting late.

M
mojoe Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I found a very nice Yamaha subwoofer at the Salvation Army store today, for $20. It makes a big difference in the bass notes, and contributes some, all the way up to C4. I don't like heavy bass, but the subwoofer makes for a much fuller sound.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by mojoe
I found a very nice Yamaha subwoofer at the Salvation Army store today, for $20. It makes a big difference in the bass notes, and contributes some, all the way up to C4. I don't like heavy bass, but the subwoofer makes for a much fuller sound.

Going too much past 100hz (G2) makes the notes muddy, a growling sound. The goal of the subwoofer is to have it and not know you have it. you could do a frequency sweep to make sure.

Last edited by EinLudov; 04/12/21 08:16 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I know what you mean OP, I’ve fallen and gotten back on a few times these past few years.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
OP, just a word of caution based on my experience.
If you are going to pursue a chord approach, that is great if you want to play pop, rock, standards or jazz.
If you are thinking you might get more serious about the piano and want to play some classical or more challenging pieces the chord approach might not be beneficial.

I was heavy into chords when I learned as a teen, although I played a lot of Chopin, Mendelssohn, and the like. But the classical ones took a lot more work and I migrated to the easier pieces I could just read the chords on.

Now, 50 years later, I seriously struggle with sight reading my left hand. My right can do wonders, and my left is OK by itself, but when I try to combine the two I have a hard time synchronizing them unless there are chords and simple counts (for the left hand) involved. Makes me love waltzes, but Bach is a nightmare. Good thing I hate Bach...

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
M
mojoe Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by trooplewis
OP, just a word of caution based on my experience.

Thanks for the advice. I'm supplementing with additional material and apps on sight reading, music theory, etc. I know from my previous attempt not to ignore the left hand.

I'm doing this for my own enjoyment. I like some classical, but it is not my focus.

I see you have the advantage of actually having lessons when you were young. I wish I had that.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Trying to identify the maker of my old piano
by PianoLover90 - 06/24/21 11:30 PM
Haunted Piano !?!
by Retsacnal - 06/24/21 07:34 PM
Do you have this problem with Steinway?
by RonaldSteinway - 06/24/21 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,690
Posts3,107,050
Members101,897
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission