2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (accordeur, 1957, ambrozy, AlphaTerminus, anotherscott, 18 invisible), 1,013 guests, and 549 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Otavio
"The Nord piano library pianos start at mp and don't have pp or p samples"
This is true.
Or, at least, it how i felt with Stage 2.
I believe that's what happens with most internal digital piano engines with 3-4 velocity layers. The layers are almost all concentrated towards the second part of the curve, with something like that (it's just a very raw approximation to get the idea):

Code
       LAYERS:                1       2    3  4
                  +-----------|-+-----|----|--|
MIDI VELOCITY:    0             64            127

Below the velocity mapping of the first layer you get just a lowering of the volume + low-pass filtering of the lowest velocity layer. But on some DPs it looks like there is just the lowering of the volume (for example, I hear many say this happens on the Yamaha P125 main piano sound). If you consider the Kawai ES110 main piano sound, you can feel the sound changes (not just in volume) when you play softer (low-pass filter in action!).

Maybe Nord piano engines don't filter below the lowest velocity layer? Usually this is not a problem in a mix, but in solo piano playing/recording it can be very noticeable, especially for the classical music player.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am curious to know what the OP finally bought and 'comparison' between the models originally stated (CA99 / NG)

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew
I am curious to know what the OP finally bought and 'comparison' between the models originally stated (CA99 / NG)
He bought a CA99 in August 2020.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thx magic :-) and sorry for the bother!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by magicpiano

It wasn't exactly a happy ending though!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by EssBrace

It wasn't exactly a happy ending though!

From what i understand, the OP had tons of issues with the CA99, and then decided on a clp785 which he didn't like, but now OP is thinking of Kawai NV10, but has concerns about it's quality issues also.

Digital pianos like all gadgetry, all have their quirks, pick your poison (for the lack of a better word), and nothing is perfect.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
E
E
Reading these forums one gets the impression that owning a digital piano is a stressful experience, with reality never corresponding to expectations, problems plaguing everything, and orange juice getting instantly sour when hearing the piano. It can't be like that, now, can it? I understand a Korg SP-280 isn't a Fazioli F278, but that doesn't mean one suffers by playing it, or what?

Originally Posted by entonio
Reading these forums one gets the impression that owning a digital piano is a stressful experience, with reality never corresponding to expectations, problems plaguing everything, and orange juice getting instantly sour when hearing the piano. It can't be like that, now, can it? I understand a Korg SP-280 isn't a Fazioli F278, but that doesn't mean one suffers by playing it, or what?

That's the issue with forums: people often only write to get help when something goes wrong (or are at least much more vocal)...
Don't forget the silent majority !

Kawai CA79 (Jan 2021), Casio Privia PX-870 (Jun 2017)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
He talked about a key heavier to press than the others and then some squeaky keys. He get the heavier key fixed but, if I'm not wrong, they never fixed the squeaky keys and I never understood why. But I don't know all the story, and the pandemic at its peak made all more difficult...
Probably he was just unlucky...

mwf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Yes i currently have ca99, but it has squeeky keys which keep changing location on the piano worryingly... One minute they are on different keys, the next they dissappear altogether and start somewhere else lol. However i can still play it ok and kawai are coming next week to look at it, hopefully they can't find the reason and i can get a full refund. However I've actually grown to enjoy the ca99 very much, so much that I'm not in any rush to get a hybrid. Nord grand is very good good with headphones, but finding the right speakers for it I wouldn't want to try tbh, a nightmare. It's a very noisy keyboard action also and like i said before, it has a limited dynamic range, it's overpriced and just not particularly enjoyable to play on, the ca99 is a more pleasant experience, much better action and speakers are decent, and it's more dynamic. It's a better piano.

I would strongly recommend against those nord piano monitors also, they are complete garbage, massively overpriced awful sounding speakers. I took my NG back because i was so disgusted by the speakers.

mwf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by entonio

It really isn't a stressful experience, in over 20 years I've only ever had a few issues with my digital pianos, I have a yamaha cp4 and it's so reliable it's quite astonishingly well built and a great piano.... Had it about 8 years or more amd only issue I've had is one key went funny which i got fixed for about £30 or. Something. It's been heavily used in that time also, for gigs and home practice.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
@mwf: I think yours is an issue easily fixable with proper lubrication in some parts of the keys. Let us know how the story ends...

mwf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
@mwf: I think yours is an issue easily fixable with proper lubrication in some parts of the keys. Let us know how the story ends...

Yeah I'll keep you posted, thanks.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Quite an expensive MIDI controller.

So what? There are people who use an N1X or an NV-10 as a midi-controller only ("because all built-in samples and speakers are always crap") and that's more expensive still.

But, if you're going for the action only, the MP7SE has the same one I believe. That would be about a third of the price of the Nord.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7 (Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers Harpsichord, KIVIR)
Intel NUC i3-6100U, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
mwf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
For me personally, action is more important than sound/built in samples. But this has been only recently i discovered this. I am only interested in the nv10 because of its action, which from my experience towers above everything else unless you're spending £20,000 or more on a good grand. It's literally the nicest thing I've played on in my life... So I'd sure use it only as a midi controller, absolutely worth it to me.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by mwf
I have budget for either, and have narrowed my choices down to either the NG or CA99 after long and studied thought, months I've spent thinking and I've pretty much had enough lol.

I've played on both several times... I like them both in different ways.

I am thinking most forum members will steer me towards the kawai for obvious reasons, it has the better keyboard action and built in speaker system/soundboard. However i dont feel the sampling is the best and it sounds very average recorded when you listen back, YouTube videos etc.. Playing the piano live is a great experience though.

The NG sampling i feel is superior and has a better choice of pianos and looks cool in red. It also sounds better than anything ive heard (even vsts) recorded. Live playing probably not on par with the kawai though due to poorer speakers (I would use nord piano monitors and have tried them already in shop). I think the action is nice enough and very fast and responsive, certainly doea not compete with the ca99 though.

I would prefer the portability of the nord also and not having to have a one piece cabinet piano in my house. I also like to do a lot of recording so the quality is important to me in that respect. However i do like the thought of having a top wooden action... Its just an impossible decision.

Do i go with the better action/touch or, in my opinion, the better quality pianos on offer and portability? Not completely happy with the ca99 sound wise, absolutely love the touch though, i do play garritan cfx vst through my current yamaha cp4... Do i need a second portable piano.. Should I get a cabinet piano... Its never ending mind, slowly driving me crazy.

I don't see what a Nord Grand gives you that a CP4 plus VST would not other than a single package for portability, but if the alternative is a CA99 then portability does not seem to be a concern.

It appears that the changes to the RHIII action for the NG were to make it a bit better for organs and synths at the expense of being a better piano action. Since you already have a CP4 maybe get a Nord Electro 6D and you get Nord piano sounds over midi from your CP4, an organ action for organ and synth sounds, and a very portable instrument, etc.

Play classical repertoire from score. Improvise blues.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pieces for Wedding
by Oringall_Name - 06/22/21 06:15 PM
How loud is a harpsichord?
by D959 - 06/22/21 05:17 PM
Just Completed My 42 Week Pandemic Teaching Project
by tonystride - 06/22/21 03:41 PM
Kawai NV5 Users Group
by JBishop - 06/22/21 03:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,658
Posts3,106,346
Members101,884
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission