2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
FloRi89 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Just in, free upgrade if you already own the Petrof 275:

Version 7.3.0 also features a revoiced Steinway B.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Heck two Petrof for on $59 plus the cost of Pianoteq you get to pretend you have a $$$$$ piano.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Pianoteq still isn't quite my thing, but it's nearly there. That said, this sounds quite nice!

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, great, I have the Petrof 275 already... go to try it soon!

It seems more like and advertisement of Petrof than a Pianoteq new model, though

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by puremusic
Pianoteq still isn't quite my thing, but it's nearly there. That said, this sounds quite nice!

When Pianoteq does get to the next level, just think of the massive new sample library pianos that will come out to take the crown wink Start saving your money for the 4TB Hard drive to hold it laugh

That is why I'm a fan of Pianoteq, the small foot-print.

F
FloRi89 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Oh, great, I have the Petrof 275 already... go to try it soon!

It seems more like and advertisement of Petrof than a Pianoteq new model, though

How do you like the Petrof 275? Going to try out the new model tonight. Pretty fair that they just added it to an existing pack instead of making a new one.

Originally Posted by EPW
Originally Posted by puremusic

When Pianoteq does get to the next level, just think of the massive new sample library pianos that will come out to take the crown wink Start saving your money for the 4TB Hard drive to hold it laugh

I'm not convinced that larger sample size will make for better sampled pianos, let's see about that.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
You know, Petrof once built a midi controller with a grand piano action; it looked a bit like the NV10 but more ‘square’ and it didn’t have speakers. A new version of this piano with speakers and powered by Pianoteq would be something special. I hope Petrof and other acoustic piano makers are paying attention.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FloRi89
How do you like the Petrof 275? Going to try out the new model tonight. Pretty fair that they just added it to an existing pack instead of making a new one.

Well, it was not one of my preferred ones, but now, A/B comparing with the new one, both in Prelude preset, I see some merits also on it. It is great they are giving it free for ownners of the previous Petrof. Kudos to Modartt!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's a first for me. D/L PTq7.3 , the latest, with this new Petrof included automatically.
Sounds great out the box (Prelude and Player) So much better than the previous Petrof so I'm left wondering if I need to do the same with all my other presets too. i could be busy . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Sure peterws tempt me to spend more money on the Petrof model wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am debating if putting it on the first place of PTQ pianos... And I have most of them (7 piano packs). So, yes, worth a try!

Of course the amount of tweaking you can do on any model is just insane, but I tend to use presets the most with minor modifications. For sure guys at Modartt know about piano sound lots more than myself!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
What a wonderful surprise from Modartt.

This concert grand sounds quite unique compared to all the other pianos. They have ramped up resonance/reverb on this one to acoustic-like levels, greatly enhancing the illusion of playing an actual acoustic. It's a full-bodied and 3-dimensional sound.

Very interesting indeed, I will have to play around this some more to see what it inspires... but it's definitely fun.

Very generous of Modartt to include a whole new grand with the original Petrof instrument pack. I haven't paid much attention to the original Petrof, but I'm also enjoying it as well.

Originally Posted by EPW
Sure peterws tempt me to spend more money on the Petrof model wink

Hey! Go easy, man! It's good; it's not that good!
I've been fiddling with it, and in it's initial state it sounds like a sampled Digital. We can't be having that. I played my other heavily tweaked voices and can now see why I did this.
This new voice needs the unisons widening, the sympathetic resonance increased and de-tuned savagely.
Then it will begin to sound like the real thing and not a sanitized sample.
But version 7.3 does sound richer overall to me.

Last edited by peterws; 04/07/21 06:30 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by EPW

Hey folks, come along a-running! I've got this swell new software piano!

Ooh, is it the most realistic?

No.

Is it really woody and warm then?

Err, no.

Does it play just like a high falutin Steinway like that there Horowitz's pi-anna?

Not exactly.

Well what makes it so hum-dickety-doo-dah swell then?

It has a small footprint.

Oh.

Sounds pretty good to me...

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
Q
Q
The Ant. Petrof Warm has been my default for a long time now... can't wait to try this one out!

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Originally Posted by EPW

Hey folks, come along a-running! I've got this swell new software piano!

Ooh, is it the most realistic?

No.

Is it really woody and warm then?

Err, no.

Does it play just like a high falutin Steinway like that there Horowitz's pi-anna?

Not exactly.

Well what makes it so hum-dickety-doo-dah swell then?

It has a small footprint.

Oh.

But that can go the other way. Hey we added 16GB more samples and 20 more layers. Doiesn't make it better IMHO. Do I think Pianoteq is the best out there. No but it has its place and for plenty of us it is a great option.

Peace

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, at some point they’ll be at 1,000,000 layers per key and requiring an entire building worth of SSDs to store one single instance of VSL’s newest monstrosity.

The larger they get, the more they prove my point: sampling has hit a brick wall and since it can no longer move past that wall, it’ll continue piling upwards -layer by layer- with more of the same.

Because you know how it goes, if you can’t give ‘em better, simply give ‘em more:

“Go on, Billy Jean, pile up that plate with more o’ them canned beans”.

Thank you, but no; I’ll be on the other side of the ‘wall’ with EPW and friends watching y’all get fat on them beans! laugh

F
F
That new Petrof warm. Simply delicious.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by EPW
Do I think Pianoteq is the best out there. No but it has its place and for plenty of us it is a great option.

I get that, I really do. I just saw an opportunity for a bit of on-topic leg-pulling.

Your argument about just adding more sample layers...yes I can see that it will happen as a marketing tool.

However, take Garritan CFX Lite; to me it is just as playable as PianoTeq (so PT loses its traditional advantage there). It all comes down to the intrinsic tone, whether there is five layers, twenty or a hundred. FWIW I don't really love the basic tone of Garritan, and I wouldn't love it more if it had a thousand layers, although I think it's good and it has a relatively small footprint.

I don't love PianoTeq's tone because other than at the margins all the models sound the same, and they all have aspects of tone (or lack of tone) in common and that I dislike. I admire it technically and do appreciate its small footprint and reliability/stability in use though.

To me, we're at the point now where the best piano is the tone we like the most and as long as the technical spec (layers, footprint, sampled, modelled, whatever) is good enough, tone is the only thing that matters. That's where PianoTeq (and modelling in general) needs more work, although it is improving. I will listen to the demos of the new Petrof but the existing Petrof was one of the worst PT models to my ears (and pointless - whose favourite piano is a Petrof after all? - they were never a top-line maker).

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission