2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT
Originally Posted by WPianoY
4. What will I lack and miss if learning only on a digital piano?

Harmonic hearing won't develop, as digital pianos only mix single notes on top of each other instead of producing real harmonics like acoustic instruments. You will lack abilities to tell chords by ear and if an interval is in tune or not. As a result you will get chained to sheet music.

However this can be fixed with any other non-digital instrument, even with a simple and cheap ukulele. Ear training done there transfers over to the digital piano.

I've seen an instructional video lesson from jazz bass player Jon Patitucci where he uses a cheap digital keyboard to do the ear training practice. I think the important thing while ear training is to sing along, so you develop your ear memory. And try to get used to different types of instruments if posible.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ubu
I've seen an instructional video lesson from jazz bass player Jon Patitucci where he uses a cheap digital keyboard to do the ear training practice.

You mean he used a cheap digital keyboard to create a video. He obviously uses the bass to practice (which is perfectly fine BTW).

Yamaha P-515
Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ubu
I've seen an instructional video lesson from jazz bass player Jon Patitucci where he uses a cheap digital keyboard to do the ear training practice.

You mean he used a cheap digital keyboard to create a video. He obviously uses the bass to practice (which is perfectly fine BTW).
You can watch him around min.20

He has his bass on, but for the ear training is using a mixture of bass and keyboard

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sorry, this kind of trolling is not worth my time.

Yamaha P-515
Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I respect you dont want to exchange opinions and you prefer to use your time with other things. But there's no need to call me trolling.

R
R
I would say it depends on the beginning piano student- some are more likely to be able to use online instruction well, and some want the personal touch. I haven't used online piano tutors before, but I understand some of them are quite fun and rewarding, similar to video games.

There are many different aspects of learning piano. Here are a few
1. Learning to sight read- that seems like something well suited to online instruction
2. Posture of arms/wrists/hands/fingers seems well suited for in-person instruction
3. Learning ryhthms- perhaps online and in-person
4. Music theory- that seems like a skill you could learn online

I've always thought that for beginners, it's very helpful to have one-on-one instruction and the structure of weekly lessons.

I agree that a DP is the way to go. Unless you have no limitations on being loud, a DP will afford you privacy. You'd need to be a pretty serious student for 3-5 years before you'd notice the difference between an AP and a DP.

Randy
Studiologic Numa Piano X73 / Kawai ES920 / Yamaha PSR EW-410 / Casio CT-X5000
Melodica / Alto recorder / iPad music apps
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ubu
I respect you dont want to exchange opinions and you prefer to use your time with other things. But there's no need to call me trolling.

It starts with you calling a Korg M1 a "cheap digital keyboard" then pretending a jazz bassist is using it instead of his bass for ear training - while the video clearly shows that it's for accompaniment and for demonstrating things in an instructional video.

You are a beginner and have no clue what you're talking about.

Yamaha P-515
Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ubu

It starts with you calling a Korg M1 a "cheap digital keyboard" then pretending a jazz bassist is using it instead of his bass for ear training - while the video clearly shows that it's for accompaniment and for demonstrating things in an instructional video.

You are a beginner and have no clue what you're talking about.

You put too much importance on the tool. But the important thing is how to use it. I bought my first ear training method around 2000, and I've since training it, on and off. Using almost ever digital tools. And some time ago i was able to compare my pitch whith some singing students at the conservatory, and mine one was better. I don't say this because of bragging but just to clear the misconception that you need an acoustic instrument to develop ear accuracy.

W
WPianoY Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks to all of you!

Originally Posted by WPianoY
4. What will I lack and miss if learning only on a digital piano?

Harmonic hearing won't develop, as digital pianos only mix single notes on top of each other instead of producing real harmonics like acoustic instruments. You will lack abilities to tell chords by ear and if an interval is in tune or not. As a result you will get chained to sheet music.

However this can be fixed with any other non-digital instrument, even with a simple and cheap ukulele. Ear training done there transfers over to the digital piano.
>ANY other non-digital instrument can fix that?

Wait - let's apply some logic thinking:
ANY other non-digital instument includes also an Akkordeon. I played that in the past. And I know it has no strings, that resonate together. It has small pipes! But it is nevertheless creating your "real" harmonics. I also played Akkordean together with other students. And believe me: It does not make a difference if a chord is played on a single instrument or splitted within two instruments. It is exactly the same harmony. Or disharmony if a finger went wrong.

Conclusion:
You can create your "real" harmonics thing in the air. No need to influence other strings to resonate for this.

Funny Conclusion:
Because you can create "real" harmonics in the air, any digital piano could do this by using the left speaker for one tone, and the right speaker for the other. There are also DP outside with 8 speakers... let's speak about a "Harmonypoly" of 8 in this case. haha.

Joking aside:
Of coarse any digital instrument can create harmony on a computer chip. And there is no "real" harmony. Because this would also mean there is "fake" harmony. Maybe there is fake-harmony between people, but not in the context of music. It does not make any difference for the "Harmonic hearing" if one has a digital or an acousic piano.

What you are talking about this string resonance overtone thing. Well - that's a different story. An acoustic piano sounds better than a digital - in most cases for most people. That's all. This is also the reason why DP-companies are experimenting with modelling engines.
JoeT, your statement "Harmonic hearing won't develop (with a digital)" is wrong.

About your budget advice:
...If you have a sensible budget available ($ 1500 up), there is literally no point in buying a budget board as your first and only instrument. That would be a plain waste of money. And if you have a real budget ($ 3500 up), there is no point in going for anything else than a real piano. Given that you want to get into playing the piano.
This means if you have a budget $1500 and up you should go for a real piano. (Let's skip the $3500 DP in the argumentation chain) And I am quite confident, there are people out there, telling to get a good quality acoustic piano over a cheap one. Or even better get a grand-piano because of the superior action. A baby grand is not that much more expensive than a good upright, isn't it?
Skip that argumentation steps, too:
If you have a sensible budget available ($ 1500 up) => get a grand piano! Ridiculous. But this is your thinking, JoeT.
The truth is: If one is willing to spend $1500 for a piano, it is okay to find out which model in the price bracket is the best fit. Same for $2000 and $2500 and every other price range. Of coarse you can talk about instruments that are a bit different priced. But don't suggest a $5000 instrument if someone is asking for $1000. Your advice is anything but helpful.

btw - offtopic:
It reminds me to a jerk in a German piano forum. Telling everybody who is asking for a digital piano advice to go for an acoustic instead. No matter if someone has neighbours that can be disturbed by practising. This guy reacts with telling stories about a law that allow to practice with an acoustic instrument. And the only instrument that is allowed to disturb neighbors, is an acoustic one. I guess this person has no friends in real life.

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s, Casio CT-S1
Thank you for this, I've been browsing the forum to help with my DP purchase. I bought a used Celviano at Christmas but didn't really know anything about DPs. It has problems with loud and silent keys, and as I'm enjoying learning so much I may as well play and learn on a quality instrument.
My finances aren't my limiting factor, but size is. I have a limited space (DP just be under 1400mm) and this seems much better value than either the CA49 or CLP-725.
Unfortunately I don't think there is anywhere at all here (Northern Ireland) that stocks Roland pianos. I might have to wait till I'm in England later this year to try one.

Build it yourself if you have the time.

Buy a midi keyboard like the Kawai VC1, or a basic DP like the Korg B2 or D1, whatever stage piano works I'd say. Build a nice custom-designed cabinet and throw a pair of nice speakers or monitors into a special box inside the cabinet. Be sure to seek expert audiophile advice on this one. Finally, you can use the builtin sounds or hook it up to a computer for VST usage.

My 2 cents.

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I started playing/learning on an ancient Casio Privia PX-310. After two years, I upgraded to a Casio Privia PX-760. I have never detected any impairment of my ability to play an acoustic while the entirety of my practice and playing was done on those digitals. I could switch back and forth without problems.

These two digitals are of far lesser quality than the two you are considering. If I was you, I would not hesitate to buy the one you enjoy the most and plan on playing it for the next several years. If you outgrow it in less than 6 years, you are learning the piano well, and, doing on a digital.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission