2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 267 of 302 1 2 265 266 267 268 269 301 302
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Just take the stripped screw to a hardware shop and get a replacement!

I'm with Navindra here. The NV10 is a lot, a real lot of money. The responsibility lies with Kawai here.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Kawai customer service must be slipping because they were awesome when I owned their products. I called and talked to people directly, got parts for free, and excerpts from service manuals when I needed them. My biggest concern when I switched to Yamaha was that they wouldn't meet the high standard of customer service Kawai has. I wonder if the same people are at Kawai America Corporation that were there 3 years ago?

God Bless,
David

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by David B
Kawai customer service must be slipping because they were awesome when I owned their products. I called and talked to people directly, got parts for free, and excerpts from service manuals when I needed them. My biggest concern when I switched to Yamaha was that they wouldn't meet the high standard of customer service Kawai has. I wonder if the same people are at Kawai America Corporation that were there 3 years ago?

It could just be the pandemic; less people in the office at the same time, regulations that prohibit quickly sending out technicians to fix issues, that sort of thing. I know I've been working as hard and as long as ever since the pandemic, but I also know that some people in my company are complaining that my department's "service" has been slipping. (Apart from product development, we're also the very last helpdesk line; i.e., if everything has been tried, there's a chance there's a problem with the code, and then a ticket will end up with us). And yes, to some extent it has slipped a notch: less people in the office, people working from home (which is going just fine, but to some extent it _is_ slower due to having to do Teams meetings, and the home <-> work internet up/download through VPN just isn't as fast as directly on the company network, etc...), and some priorities that have shifted to keeping some services running online, that first were handled person-to-person.

I assume that, after the pandemic, everything will slowly return to normal, including Kawai's service.

In my case, the dealer has intervened, and Kawai has reacted ("Something got stuck in the system; we didn't have document X...."), and put my request through to a local technician shop. They have also reacted (asked for my purchase receipt), but that was just before easter. I haven't heard anything since. I'll wait until next week and then e-mail them.

The pandemic is the reason that I'm somewhat laid back about this instead of going up in flames about it.

Compared to some people nowadays, I'm somewhat different in my priorities for products:

1. Long term support and service
2. Build quality
3. Functionality
4. Price

In other words, I don't care about the price of a product. I set a budget and that's it. Then I set my standards for 1-3, in that order, and then buy the product that meets those as well as possible. If there isn't any, I'll either raise my budget and save longer, or I'll buy nothing. The one thing I might do is pare down on functionality, like I did with the LX-17 (no grand piano keyboard; but at that time, I couldn't have afforded the NV-10, it actually didn't exist yet, and I didn't like the N1 and N2 because of their age).

I don't have any problems with the fact that something can be wrong, or break, or whatever; stuff happens. What I do have _huge_ problems with is lackluster service on very expensive items that can be expected to last 15+ years. As said, the reason why I haven't seriously pushed this issue is because of the pandemic (and because the NV-10 is not broken: it just needs to be adjusted a tiny bit).

I'm sure it'll be done on the next two weeks or so.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When I had the Kawai CA79, I wrote to info@kawaius.com with no hope of any reply. But a manager did respond well within the day with an apologetic message saying he sympathises with me on the issues with the DP. I was well aware he couldn't really directly resolve the issues. But for me, that reply was huge after almost a year of silence from Kawai.

Originally Posted by David B

God Bless,
David

Last edited by mmathew; 04/07/21 07:15 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Navindra, if you wish, can you PM me your email, and I'll pass on the contact details of the Kawai US manager who responded to me? I've not talked to him, but his email signature has some contact information.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, Kawai owes you a screw.
But if covid is causing delays ... I'd prioritize the notion that you owe yourself a proper repair.
I'd just go buy the screw.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Yes, Kawai owes you a screw.
But if covid is causing delays ... I'd prioritize the notion that you owe yourself a proper repair.
I'd just go buy the screw.

Although I tend to agree:

What if. Something goes wrong later. And I reach out for a warranty issue. And Kawai tell me they won't take the item for warranty repair because I used a non-Kawai screw? What if they state that I attempted to open and put back the instrument myself so they void the warranty? Given the bureaucracy of Corporate America, fine print that I've signed without reading, catches not explicitly stated etc. etc., how would I feel if that's the response given to me after I decided not to bother Kawai with a simple screw issue?

G. K. Chesterton
Online Content
Originally Posted by mmathew
What if. Something goes wrong later. And I reach out for a warranty issue. And Kawai tell me they won't take the item for warranty repair because I used a non-Kawai screw?

If that happens, I'll eat the screw.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
F
F
Originally Posted by navindra
Originally Posted by frosas
I am coming back to this long and interesting thread. After 6 months of wait and a long trip, my NV10 finally arrived in Santiago, Chile. It is now in my brother's house, who returned from Germany after living a couple of years there. After reading all posts, I have to confese that I am a little nervous. It seems like a kind of lottery to get an issue free unit. Tomorrow it will get shipped to my appartment. I will let you know my first impressions!

Congrats and good luck! Surely it will be fine.

The only thing that makes me curious is that you are coming from the N2 which is already a top-tier hybrid (possibly my favorite in the AvantGrand line), so it sort of feels like it would be a lateral move for you. Why did you feel the need to cross over to the NV10?

Hi Navindra,

Thanks for the good wishes. I sold my AG N2 because it was more than 10 years old and the sound is not compared to new models like N1X or NV10. Why not N1X? Because of the action. I am confident that the one of NV10 is better. I hope it will be fine.

Kawai NV10, Kawai MP7SE, Nord Electro 6D, Pianoteq 7 (Steinway D, Bechstein, Electric)
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by mmathew
What if. Something goes wrong later. And I reach out for a warranty issue. And Kawai tell me they won't take the item for warranty repair because I used a non-Kawai screw?

If that happens, I'll eat the screw.

James
x
. 🤣

Kawai NV10
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
The question of warranty is always ones that concern me. On the few occasions I've read the fine print replacing a screw like this will void the warranty. So you move from having a legal protection for the warranty to relying on the company's desire to maintain goodwill in satisfying the obligations of a warranty.

I've just read the warranty that applies for my MP11se and it is the case that any repair by a non authorised person voids the warranty. Perhaps the wording of these warranties should not be so strict and then we would not find ourselves in the position where the common sense approach can be easily interpreted as voiding the warranty.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
There are laws that define the enforceability of such warranty provisions. In the US, manufacturers can't enforce such a "3rd party repairs void the warranty" or "peeling this sticker/seal voids the warranty" terms enforced, unless the 3rd party repair (or peeling the sticker) is what caused the issue being claimed for warranty.

Yes, it's a legal protection and that means you have to know your rights and bring the manufacturer to court (ultimately), but companies know what the law is, and they know what they print on warranty statements in order to reduce the instances of potential issues caused by "unauthorized access" or just to reduce total warranty claims because people read it and think they're out of luck. But if you make a warranty claim and they push back because of a 3p repair, the onus is on the manufacturer to prove the 3p repair caused or contributed to the issue, and you can push forcefully against their waffling; they'll eventually honor it because they know they'd lose ready in small claims (and it'd cost them way more than the repair just to show up).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
KevinM, where did you see that in the warranty? Because I don’t see it (US warranty). I only see that any damage caused by an unauthorised repair is not covered. Which is kind of obvious. But as long as the unauthorised repair does not cause any damage, the warranty is not affected. And even if it does cause damage, any areas not related to that damage are still covered. Just not the damage itself.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
See the second last "-" point under exclusions https://www.kawai.de/service/kawai5yearswarranty.pdf

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
That’s the Kawai UK warranty. Seems that their conditions are indeed worse than what e.g. Kawai US or Kawai Germany have. Both of those do not have such an exclusion (that I could find). Shame on Kawai UK I would say.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
It says nothing about "wrong screws".
Originally Posted by KevinM
See the second last "-" point under exclusions https://www.kawai.de/service/kawai5yearswarranty.pdf
This sort of warranty worry is widespread. And it's nonsense.
So just get the screw and be done.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
If it is nonsense why is it written like that?

Last edited by KevinM; 04/07/21 03:30 PM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

1. Depends on the warranty law in the UK.

2. Even if the warranty law doesn't allow such terms, manufacturers sometimes rely on severability, and keep those clauses in so they can cut down on warranty claims (not claiming Kawai is doing this, but it IS a common, and yes, nonsense, practice).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
R
R
To chip in a more positive note, my NV10 got delivered today. Love it. It's beautiful, sounds & plays like a charm.

I did notice they had some struggles with some of the screws. Not going to remove them.

So moving on to the bigger problems with this piano: If only the screen would go fully black and it would even look more stunning with red felt ;-)

I was referring to the unfounded worries, not to the warranty.
The warranty is not nonsense.

Page 267 of 302 1 2 265 266 267 268 269 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission