2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I mostly use the Vintage D. I like the Steinway sound.

I tried the Garritan / Yamaha. I don't like the Yamaha sound as much as the Steinway, but the sound it produces is a good capture.
It fails, though, on pedaling. The "pedal curve" is way off.

In the past I've used the Grandeur, also a Steinway.
But it has some scripting faults. I avoid it when playing pieces with lots of sustain in the lower octaves. It tends to "honk" on such passages.

I also like the Kawai EX Pro from Acoustic Samples.

But the Vintage D remains my every day piano.

C
C
Originally Posted by pianogabe
. . . .Unlike an acoustic, a VST always sounds the same, and you brain detects this and needs something else to be excited about after a while.

This is an astute observation. An acoustic piano is never in a static state from one minute to the next. After all these years I'm often surprised and delighted by the subtle (and not so subtle) changes in tone and character from one day to the next with my acoustic pianos.

I recently recorded some solo piano for a client at the studio at which I work. The Hamburg Steinway D there is in a temperature & humidity controlled live room (an acoustically isolated mud-brick & timber walled room within a room). We were requested to re-record an amended MIDI performance supplied by a client (the piano has a high resolution MIDI record & playback mechanism fitted to it) and the panel heater had been running while we were setting up the MIDI file on the laptop next to the piano in the studio. There was a noticeable difference in tone (particularly on the hammer attacks) from the original recording which was done the week before.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Of course it is only a hypothesis of mine that this explains why people often fail to find the best VST

There is nothing wrong with coming to the conclusion that every VST instrument on the market is "bad" for piano practice due to this reason. Fine for listening when mixed into a 3-4 minute arrangement with other samples, tiring when listening to it for hours over hours.

My Yamaha digital piano still doesn't get on my nerves after years, so they must do something right. They are obviously not going to reveal, what their (trade) secret is.

Yamaha P-515
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT
My Yamaha digital piano still doesn't get on my nerves after years, so they must do something right.

That's because it's a P-515 cool The most misunderstood, highly capable, low-priced and versatile (piano related), and most unavailable instrument made in recent years. Yeah, that was only my opinion eek

Last edited by mmathew; 04/07/21 08:01 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew
My Yamaha digital piano still doesn't get on my nerves after years, so they must do something right.

That's because it's a P-515 cool The most misunderstood, highly capable, low-priced and versatile (piano related), and most unavailable instrument made in recent years. Yeah, that was only my opinion eek

True, after the unimpressive P-255, Yamaha landed a smash hit with that one. It's not only versatile (piano related), it's also doubles as a decent acoustic guitar amplifier, rhythm machine, multitrack MIDI sequencer, USB drive recorder, USB audio interface on top of being an excellent digital piano.

Thankfully I got mine in early 2019, before the digital piano craze started and I'm in no need of another digital instrument. The only G.A.S. I now have is for an acoustic piano (and for more guitars of course).

Yamaha P-515
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Of course it is only a hypothesis of mine that this explains why people often fail to find the best VST

There is nothing wrong with coming to the conclusion that every VST instrument on the market is "bad" for piano practice due to this reason.

That is quite a stretch going from 'failing to find the best' (because of moving target) to 'every VST instrument on the market is "bad"'.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Craig Richards
. . . .Unlike an acoustic, a VST always sounds the same, and you brain detects this and needs something else to be excited about after a while.

This is an astute observation. An acoustic piano is never in a static state from one minute to the next. After all these years I'm often surprised and delighted by the subtle (and not so subtle) changes in tone and character from one day to the next with my acoustic pianos.
Dore has a solution for that!

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3099991/the-experience-free-binaural-piano-vi.html

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

There is nothing wrong with coming to the conclusion that every VST instrument on the market is "bad" for piano practice due to this reason.

That is quite a stretch going from 'failing to find the best' (because of moving target) to 'every VST instrument on the market is "bad"'.

Well I would expect a VSTi being able to beat my Yamaha digital piano. Yet I still have to demo something that doesn't get old quickly.

Yamaha P-515
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission