2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3102948 04/06/21 06:13 PM
RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I have not heard a better-sounding sample set in the youtube shootouts.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
Whatever.

I'm very happy with Pianoteq 7, in particular the NY Steinway D Classical presets (there are two, I believe: the Classical and the Classical Recording). I see no need to invest more time and money in the endless quest for "the best". It's not even a "real" piano, so it's just one digital representation of a piano versus another.

Whatever floats your boat! smile

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
To each his own.

Imo vsl is best, garritan best of the rest.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by U3piano
To each his own.

Imo vsl is best, garritan best of the rest.

If you like Garritan, then VSL CFX may be for you, it has a lot of the same multi-mic, natural ambiance that Garritan has, with more options like velocity layers and mic perspectives.

Like U3, I hesitate to say that any VI is objectively "better" or "best," but I don't think anything has happened in the last 2-3 years that would make a Garritan fan jump ship (or vice versa).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I don't think Garritan ever was the best. VSL always had better pianos.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@RinTin: There are many pianos from Garritan. Which one are you referring to?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A lot of people here use Garritan CFX as their main piano. It is quite good out of the box full> default >classical. The other mic positions are not so popular here.

Can't thank Ralphiano enough, as he suggested two tweaks that really clean up the sound (sounds great now IMHO):

- reducing the pan of the close mics

- reducing the gain of the ambient mics

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3086334/its-in-the-pan.html
____
VSL has released a lot of piano VIs recently. These pianos have a lot of features and deep sampling. VSL also has a popular CFX. VSL instruments are a bit expensive but are considered top-tier by professional music studios.

VSL posts on this forum from time to time and I think they take our feedback seriously. VSL just released a velocity-curve feature & announced they will eliminate the USB security dongle; those changes are a huge benefit to regular piano players like us.

C
C
It's not the VI I pull up first (that's the VSL CFX), but it's very, very, good and was the first virtual piano that I got lost in when I sat down to play.

F
F
It’s a Yamaha. And it sounds like a Yamaha. For people who like Yamaha.
I much prefer Bechstein. And the Bechstein Digital Grand, sampled as well as in Pianoteq.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by RinTin
I have not heard a better-sounding sample set
Have you tried VSL's Synchron Concert D-274?
https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Synchron_Pianos_Bundle/Concert_D

If you've ever watched Game of Thrones - I think that one is used for the intro theme music.

I don't think Garritan has ever been 'tops' :-p

Last edited by Burkey; 04/06/21 11:55 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Burkey
If you've ever watched Game of Thrones - I think that one is used for the intro theme music.
Sorry it's not actually in the intro theme - but the composer Ramin Djawadi used it to sketch out much of the music:

Last edited by Burkey; 04/07/21 12:23 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by newer player
& announced they will eliminate the USB security dongle

Really? Where can I read that? That would be great.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by U3piano
Originally Posted by newer player
& announced they will eliminate the USB security dongle

Really? Where can I read that? That would be great.

Hello @U3piano,

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...n-b-sendorfer-280vc-new.html#Post3089142

Cheers,

HZ

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Garritan CFX is beautiful, but these days I only play Ivory II Studio Grands. They seem more "real" to me.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
The problem with VSTs is that they are a moving target. Once you think you found the best, after a while you don't think that any more, and you want something else. I have a couple of different ones and I just switch between them whenever I feel like it. Garritan CFX was not among them when I had the lite version, but finally upgraded it to the full version, and I like it. I also use Pianoteq and Bechstein Digital Grand. Unlike an acoustic, a VST always sounds the same, and you brain detects this and needs something else to be excited about after a while.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U

Thanks! I love this news!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianogabe
Unlike an acoustic, a VST always sounds the same, and you brain detects this and needs something else to be excited about after a while.

If something gets on your nerves, it's not the right sound. Neither novelty factor nor loudness tell anything about if something is good. This is true for musical pieces in general, not just for instruments.

Yamaha P-515
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've moved on from the VST world. But when I was, I used Garritan CFX Full the most. Mainly because the VSLs were too complex for me to understand and tweak. But the VSL's close mic samples are the best I've heard and always defaulted to them (select all 3). I found the pedal noise to be cleaner on the Garritan.

In my view, we shouldn't compare the VSLs with Garritan - the VSLs standout apart from others in so many different technical areas.

With Garritan, I found a preset (Solo Piano 3) that I really liked and I applied Ralph's tweaks and it worked like a charm. By far, the only problem I've had is the slow loading times on Windows. I've never seen that progress bar since my Visual Basic 4.0 programming days. But, it loaded significantly faster, with I'd say negligible delay, on my Macbook Pro :-| So, it doesn't appear to be a Garritan problem.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
G
G
It also depends on your midi controller a lot. But I'd say either Garritan or VSL products are the best I know of.

Kawai E200-ATX3
Mostly VSL's, Garritan, Modern U, Grandeur
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoeT
Originally Posted by pianogabe
Unlike an acoustic, a VST always sounds the same, and you brain detects this and needs something else to be excited about after a while.

If something gets on your nerves, it's not the right sound. Neither novelty factor nor loudness tell anything about if something is good. This is true for musical pieces in general, not just for instruments.

True, but the problem is more that it becomes relatively boring/less exciting than that it gets on your nerves. The brain is extremely good at remembering the exact structure of sound. There is a study that shows that participants can learn (unconsciously) to recognize specific instances of 0.5 sec white noises..., even after limited exposure.

Of course it is only a hypothesis of mine that this explains why people often fail to find the best VST, not a proven fact smile And there is also a 'fixed' quality effect. Some VSTs are simply better than others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission