2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Besides the Menuet Anh 132, there are 2 other pieces in the Anna Magdalena notebook that are in D minor, the Polonaise Anh 128 and a little suite Anh131.

Those are all very short and very easy pieces. Maybe too easy ?

Nope, no such thing as too easy for me.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Sebs
If you want pop, look at music notes.com. You can often choose the key that you prefer as a download option. Grednsleaves, an old folk favorite, can be found in d minor

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by ebonyk
Originally Posted by Pianosearcher
Brahms Waltz in D minor, OP. 39 Nr. 9.

Brahms??? 😂😂😂

The request was “very easy”.

Lisa:

There is also a simplified version of the Op. 39 Waltzes for solo piano, simplified by Brahms himself, so they are "authentic."
That’s interesting, I’ve never come across that! 👍

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
Online Content
Originally Posted by Sebs
I'm thinking the Easy Classic to Moderns V17 is the best option as I'm looking to add some short simple pieces to the key I'm studying. For example, I'm working on D minor scales, arpeggios, contrary, etc. and a member suggested adding some very simple pieces in the key that Im studying and thought it was a great idea. Therefore the V17 book would be great when I move onto the next key.
Although the suggestion is reasonable, I certainly don't think this is commonly done or at all necessary. If you are playing scales, arpeggios, and chords in a given key that would be sufficient. You probably wouldn't want to go to a concert with all the pieces in the same key, and I think it would be boring and mentally tiring to do too much playing in the same key. I think it's far better to choose pieces based just on their level and how much you like them. You don't need to know the scale for a key to be able to play the piece in that key.

S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I'm thinking the Easy Classic to Moderns V17 is the best option as I'm looking to add some short simple pieces to the key I'm studying. For example, I'm working on D minor scales, arpeggios, contrary, etc. and a member suggested adding some very simple pieces in the key that Im studying and thought it was a great idea. Therefore the V17 book would be great when I move onto the next key.
Although the suggestion is reasonable, I certainly don't think this is commonly done or at all necessary. If you are playing scales, arpeggios, and chords in a given key that would be sufficient. You probably wouldn't want to go to a concert with all the pieces in the same key, and I think it would be boring and mentally tiring to do too much playing in the same key. I think it's far better to choose pieces based just on their level and how much you like them. You don't need to know the scale for a key to be able to play the piece in that key.

Im not saying that I need to know the scale to play the piece and I never said I’m only playing pieces in one key, I actually don’t really do much with pieces as my focus is contemporary. I do, however, spend weeks and months practicing various items in a key and really don’t think adding some very simple pieces to the study is a bad idea. I have no interest in playing challenging classical this is just my technique work and extra work I do to get more familiar with the various keys.

U
U
Honestly, I think some of the members making these "easy" suggestions are (as usual) just here to flex on beginners...

My suggestion is "Night Journey" by Cornelius Gurlitt, op.82 no. 65. It is quite a nice sounding piece. I also like "Tango II: Habanera" from "Leichte Taenze" by Matthias Seiber.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Im not saying that I need to know the scale to play the piece and I never said I’m only playing pieces in one key, I actually don’t really do much with pieces as my focus is contemporary. I do, however, spend weeks and months practicing various items in a key and really don’t think adding some very simple pieces to the study is a bad idea. I have no interest in playing challenging classical this is just my technique work and extra work I do to get more familiar with the various keys.

Personally, I think this is a great idea, Sebs! Playing the scale, then playing music in the key should help reinforce the key signature.

S
S
Mikhail Glinka's Russian Polka was one of my first pieces....

Also another vote for the D minor pieces in the AM notebook

Glinka

S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Utkonos
Honestly, I think some of the members making these "easy" suggestions are (as usual) just here to flex on beginners...

My suggestion is "Night Journey" by Cornelius Gurlitt, op.82 no. 65. It is quite a nice sounding piece. I also like "Tango II: Habanera" from "Leichte Taenze" by Matthias Seiber.

Sometimes I wonder if my definition of very easy is way off. Lol
Thanks for suggestions. I’ll check those out too.

Originally Posted by dogperson
Personally, I think this is a great idea, Sebs! Playing the scale, then playing music in the key should help reinforce the key signature.

Thanks. I was thinking no matter what I study the more familiar with keys and even reading very simple scores helps everything.

Last edited by Sebs; 04/09/21 10:47 AM.

Gold Supporter until June  2023

Gold Supporter until June  2023
The arrangement of Scarborough Fair in Alfred's Adult All In One (volume 1) is in D minor and sounds beautiful (and it's relatively easy). I play it almost every day (and sing together). You can probably find it through a Google search as well.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
B
B
There is a Polka by Mikhail Glinka in the Joy of Classics book that is fun to play and about Grade 2-3. Sorry my book doesn't give an Opus No.
The Scarlatti K32 someone above recommended, there is also Scarlatti K34, I've made a note "slow, melancholy" in my notebook.

Tarantella by Burgmuller Opus 100 No 20 might be a bit of a stretch depending how much time you want to put in and it's 6/8 time Allegro Vivo which is somewhat daunting.

Really I don't have much listed for D minor, I was hard put to find pieces when I was "doing" D minor

If you can manage some of the Bach Little Preludes try BWV 926 or BWV 935. I'd steer clear of BWV 940, said to be one of the easier ones but I found it hard

Hope you find something there.

"Study Bach: there you will find everything" - Johannes Brahms.
J
J

What he said.

Brahms? Seriously?
Why not suggest some Rachmaninoff while you're at it :|

OP there are a few short, light and fun pieces in both the Alfred Books 1 and 2.
Scarborough Fair, Festive Dance, Scherzo, Introduction and Dance.

L
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L
Sebs, This thread just popped up, but I noticed it's a couple of months old. If you're still looking for a contemporary D minor piece, I can recommend 'A Taste of Honey' from the Faber & Faber Big Time Piano Jazz & Blues book. It's Faber level 4, which equates to RCM level 2. Don't know if that's easy enough. 'A Taste of Honey' is the only piece in there that is D minor, but there's a ton of fun pieces in there - Satin Doll, Take the "A" Train', 'Night Train' and lots more.

Yamaha DGX500
Yamaha CLP-635

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
I
Ido Offline
I
You can try one of these:

I learned 3 of them about two years ago (2.5 years into piano playing), very good music.

Started playing piano in early 2017. My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/videos
S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by JohnnyIssieBangie

What he said.

Brahms? Seriously?
Why not suggest some Rachmaninoff while you're at it :|

OP there are a few short, light and fun pieces in both the Alfred Books 1 and 2.
Scarborough Fair, Festive Dance, Scherzo, Introduction and Dance.

Thank you. I ended up finding some in a sight reading book I had and I also got journey through the classics. I will also add that I asked for "very easy pieces" so some posters are claiming those pieces are very easy for them? That must be nice...

Originally Posted by lilypad
Sebs, This thread just popped up, but I noticed it's a couple of months old. If you're still looking for a contemporary D minor piece, I can recommend 'A Taste of Honey' from the Faber & Faber Big Time Piano Jazz & Blues book. It's Faber level 4, which equates to RCM level 2. Don't know if that's easy enough. 'A Taste of Honey' is the only piece in there that is D minor, but there's a ton of fun pieces in there - Satin Doll, Take the "A" Train', 'Night Train' and lots more.

Thanks. I'll take a look.

E
E
My teacher had me go through this book:
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/piano-miniatures-in-24-keys-sheet-music/17674100
It wasn't difficult, and the pieces are all very short. He also mixes up the genres, so it doesn't get boring.

I also considered buying this one at one point:
https://ndipaolo.musicaneo.com/sheetmusic/sm-226266_venturing_beyond.html
It looks like they might be a little easier, but I haven't played any of them, so I don't know.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Sebs , did you end up buying the Music for Millions vol. 17 book? If not, I highly recommend it!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Sebs , did you end up buying the Music for Millions vol. 17 book? If not, I highly recommend it!

Nope. I went with Journey Through the Classic complete volume. Reason being each book is processive and inside each book all the pieces start from easiest and gradually increase. However, Music for Millions is definitely on the list for my next book.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Thanks for that info Sebs, I see that the Journey series has the complete one as well as individual levels sold separately. Could be good for sightreading.

No, I don't already have too many piano books, why do you ask?

whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Thanks for that info Sebs, I see that the Journey series has the complete one as well as individual levels sold separately. Could be good for sightreading.

No, I don't already have too many piano books, why do you ask?

whome

Yes could be good source for that too. I have the complete one. I'm using it just to try and get some extra exposure outside of my pop studies.

No one ever has too many piano books. The way I see it I'm supporting a business and even if I buy a whole book and I only use it for one to a few pieces or a couple weeks to me anything that brings joy and motivation is worth it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission