2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
43 members (Alex Hutor, Damien PG, Doug M., eddemans, clothearednincompo, Barde, dolce sfogato, 9 invisible), 363 guests, and 582 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
KevinM Online Content OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
K
Looking at Beethoven Bagatelle's for example.

I learnt 119.4 a bit more than a year ago without any issues and Henle has it down as medium 4.

I feel like i can't even contemplate Für Elise and that I've got at least a few years to go before I should attempt it. Yet Henle rates it as easy 3.

Henle has overestimated the difficulty of 119.4 and underestimated the difficulty of Für Elise from my perspective.

I'm currently learning 119.1 and it feels harder than 119.4 but not massively so, it also is at level medium 4 on Henle. I could see these two belonging at the same level with 119.1 at the harder end and 119.4 at the easier end within the one level.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I played the 119.1 for GCSE exam at school. I played the fur elise at the same time. I really think they are the same difficulty as each other. Both about Grade 6. I think if you can find the ABRSM grades for the pieces it may be helpful for you. Once you have gone beyond the graded system then something like Henle is more helpful as it grades pieces post Grade 8 well.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The end of the 119.1 is quite difficult. As is the articulation. The Fur Elise has a faster second section but I dont think its as hard as you think. I am sure you can do it. Good luck.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I agree that Fur Elise seems harder than 119/4 and even 119/1. But remember that any rating system like Henle is rating probably tens of thousands of pieces so that there may be what appear to be errors. It could even be a clerical error. Or there might be some reasonable reason that the person rating pieces had that's not so obvious.

This book might be more helpful since I think it's emphasis is more on pieces non professional often play:https://www.amazon.com/Pianists-Standard-Teaching-Performance-Literature/dp/0882846558/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2B4CRJXAFYWFO&dchild=1&keywords=guide+to+the+pianists+repertoire&qid=1617709013&sprefix=guide+to+the+pian%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-3

There's also a website somewhere that lists ratings for pieces from multiple sources for each piece so you can get a more rounded view of a piece's difficulty. I don't remember that site but I'm sure someone will post it. It would be interesting to see if some of the other rating systems agree with Henle or agree with your opinion.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I recently learned nos. 9 and 10 from opus 119, and in my opinion Für Elise is much harder than those (no. 9 is Henle level 4, and no. 10 is Henle level 3). Generally speaking, I think Für Elise should at least be considered level 4.

Originally Posted by KevinM
I feel like i can't even contemplate Für Elise and that I've got at least a few years to go before I should attempt it.

I think you are rating its difficulty too highly; with the stuff you've been doing, you should be able to tackle it right now.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
This book might be more helpful since I think it's emphasis is more on pieces non professional often play:https://www.amazon.com/Pianists-Standard-Teaching-Performance-Literature/dp/0882846558/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2B4CRJXAFYWFO&dchild=1&keywords=guide+to+the+pianists+repertoire&qid=1617709013&sprefix=guide+to+the+pian%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-3
You beat me to it! 👍😂 This is a very good book, I use it often.

Für Elise and 119/1 are both a level 7 in the book.

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
I recently learned nos. 9 and 10 from opus 119, and in my opinion Für Elise is much harder than those (no. 9 is Henle level 4, and no. 10 is Henle level 3). Generally speaking, I think Für Elise should at least be considered level 4.

I feel like i can't even contemplate Für Elise and that I've got at least a few years to go before I should attempt it.

I think you are rating its difficulty too highly; with the stuff you've been doing, you should be able to tackle it right now.
119/9 is a level 6 in PGSTPL. She doesn’t say what 119/10 is.

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
B
B

I learnt 119.4 a bit more than a year ago without any issues and Henle has it down as medium 4.

I feel like i can't even contemplate Für Elise and that I've got at least a few years to go before I should attempt it. Yet Henle rates it as easy 3.

Henle has overestimated the difficulty of 119.4 and underestimated the difficulty of Für Elise from my perspective.
Henle's grading system is indeed useless, not just because of its inconsistencies (which sometimes makes me think that they use a formula like: 'how many notes are there in each bar?' taking no account of the time signature, tempo and the technical skill required to play the actual notes) but also because at lower levels they are too close together to be of any use for beginner to late-intermediate students.

There used to an accurate grading system by Pearson (correlating to ABRSM/Trinity/AMEB grades) for several hundred piano pieces commonly played by students that I've linked a few times in the past, which was used by state schools in the UK for their music exams, but since the Covid revamp last year, it has been removed. The nearest equivalent I've found is for RCM grades 1-10, which looks reasonably accurate:

https://old.reddit.com/r/piano/comments/g5zurm/rcm_syllabus_grade_68_list_of_pieces_available_on/

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
All grading systems are broken if you take them too seriously. You can grade things based on certain technical criteria (I remember doing this as an exercise in college for my pedagogy degree, yuk), but what can't be graded is the desire to learn a piece, for example. Take a student who would struggle with a piece, then move on to a more technically difficult piece that they found much easier, simply because they liked it more.

Even with myself, there are pieces I can play at the Diploma level no problem, but I really struggle with some that are only Grade 6 or 8, for example.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Don't be guided too rigorously by "grades" of pieces; grading systems can vary widely, even be inconsistent even within themselves. With so much of the standard repertoire available for free on such sites as IMSLP and others, read through pieces that you may be interested in and decide for yourself whether a piece is within your grasp or not. Ignore the grade number that some editor may have applied to the piece.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
E
E
They're just guidelines.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BruceD
Don't be guided too rigorously by "grades" of pieces; grading systems can vary widely, even be inconsistent even within themselves. With so much of the standard repertoire available for free on such sites as IMSLP and others, read through pieces that you may be interested in and decide for yourself whether a piece is within your grasp or not. Ignore the grade number that some editor may have applied to the piece.

Regards,
Very good advice.

K
KevinM Online Content OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by BruceD
Regards,

I agree, and I think exactly how badly wrong Henle seems to get it is exactly why this is correct.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Für Elise is a rather simple piece. A single voice only or single voice with a simple accompaniment. No technical challenges except speed, no wide spans, rather simple harmonically (that's why it became a smash hit) very easy to interpret. That's why it's rated on the upper end of "easy" (grades 1-3).

Opus 119 combines multiple voices in one hand and asks for good control of voicing, has larger chords, trills lasting over multiple measure etc. pp. That's it's rated "medium" (grades 4-6).

Yamaha P-515
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Pianosyllabus.com lists the ‘grades’ provided by all exam boards. Yes, there is some inconsistency between the grades, but it is a very useful tool.

IMHO The problem I see with Henle is the system smashes the lower grading together—-because there is not much interest on that site with easier Music. They lean more toward more difficult repertoire.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by JoeT
Für Elise is a rather simple piece. A single voice only or single voice with a simple accompaniment. No technical challenges except speed, no wide spans, rather simple harmonically (that's why it became a smash hit) very easy to interpret. That's why it's rated on the upper end of "easy" (grades 1-3).

Opus 119 combines multiple voices in one hand and asks for good control of voicing, has larger chords, trills lasting over multiple measure etc. pp. That's it's rated "medium" (grades 4-6).

The 2 episodes are definitely much more difficult than the main theme. There is a speed factor but also articulation is not so simple. That is why in the RCM syllabus, the 119/1 and Fur Elise are both categorized as level 7 out of 10. And 119/4 is definitely simplier than both of them and way shorter.

Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
The only way to make good use of the Henle system is to regard it as three very large bins: easy, medium, and hard. I wouldn't want to get much more 'granular' than that.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by dogperson
Pianosyllabus.com lists the ‘grades’ provided by all exam boards. Yes, there is some inconsistency between the grades, but it is a very useful tool.

totally agree, probably my go to site.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Originally Posted by dogperson

totally agree, probably my go to site.
That's the one I use. I like their normalized rating where they convert the several grading systems to a single scale (from 1 to 10).

The site seems to have been upgraded at some point in the last year. They now offer a version of crowd-sourcing a rating, where they ask for input by users. I don't know how or even if they use that input--maybe if a large number of people thing a rating is too high or low, they'd somehow incorporate that into the normalized rating.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

D
D
Originally Posted by bennevis

Henle's grading system is indeed useless, not just because of its inconsistencies (which sometimes makes me think that they use a formula like: 'how many notes are there in each bar?' taking no account of the time signature, tempo and the technical skill required to play the actual notes) but also because at lower levels they are too close together to be of any use for beginner to late-intermediate students.

There used to an accurate grading system by Pearson (correlating to ABRSM/Trinity/AMEB grades) for several hundred piano pieces commonly played by students that I've linked a few times in the past, which was used by state schools in the UK for their music exams, but since the Covid revamp last year, it has been removed. The nearest equivalent I've found is for RCM grades 1-10, which looks reasonably accurate:

https://old.reddit.com/r/piano/comments/g5zurm/rcm_syllabus_grade_68_list_of_pieces_available_on/

I found the Edexcel booklet here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.chsg.org.uk/_files/subjects/music/Summer%2520Work/GCSE-AS-and-A-level-Music-Difficulty-Levels-Booklet.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiQ0vig0OvvAhVYg_0HHfV0Ce4QFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw2FvzEHDT3OcNclXIYEAzlO

It's very useful.

Sorry, don't know how to do the link thingy!

Last edited by dorfmouse; 04/07/21 03:50 AM. Reason: Extra comment
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq is a miracle
by meghdad - 05/09/21 05:59 AM
Garritan CFX hiss fix ?
by Barde - 05/09/21 04:15 AM
We remember and honor our heroes
by Maximillyan - 05/08/21 11:27 PM
Playing with others for Senior Recital
by suzukiparent - 05/08/21 11:09 PM
Surprise under 80 years of dust
by TimM_980 - 05/08/21 07:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,807
Posts3,091,378
Members101,455
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission