2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jsilva
Originally Posted by accordeur
I see a 4 string unison second from the right?

It does sort of look that way in the drawing, but the tied string on the right belongs to the next note and doesn’t belong to the adjacent looped string. So for those 4 strings on the 1 aliquot the last one belongs to the note for the next looped string.

Ok, thanks.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks to J Silva, who cleared this up for me, based on his own Mason Hamlin BB, which fortuitously had the exact same tenor hitch pin configuration. At least on these BBs, it is not looped strings all the way to the bass end, but rather, one single wire each at the furthest-left and furthest-right hitches, the rest loops. Some of the hitch-to-bridge angles and aliquot positioning still look a little extreme, but hey, that's how Mason Hamlin chose to scale them confused

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I zoomed in on those bridge caps, and i must say, leaving all those bridge pin cracks is unacceptable in my book. You are really missing out on what that pianos potential is. I go one step further than just replacing the caps, i replace with a more dense species of wood than was used originally. Then i follow up with very carefully setting the downbearing so as not to overload the board and getting the most resonance out of it. And it all pays off in nice clean tones that will last.

-chris
[Linked Image]

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If you do not like it, you can pay him to do what you want him to. Otherwise, it is not your call to make.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
BDB,
I'm sure you don't like leaky roofs, and mine has a leak. So you pay for my new roof and i'll pay for his bridge caps.
-chris

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by freelife
Thanks to J Silva, who cleared this up for me, based on his own Mason Hamlin BB, which fortuitously had the exact same tenor hitch pin configuration. At least on these BBs, it is not looped strings all the way to the bass end, but rather, one single wire each at the furthest-left and furthest-right hitches, the rest loops. Some of the hitch-to-bridge angles and aliquot positioning still look a little extreme, but hey, that's how Mason Hamlin chose to scale them confused

+1

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
F
OP Offline
F
Chris, you are a purest, a piano-rebuilding perfectionist, and I appreciate that. But you weigh in on other people's rebuilding jobs and what should be installed or done - new bridges, new soundboards, etc. - without being part of the conversation with the particular piano owner and their needs and economic realities. As such, you come off as rather arrogant. Until we rebuilding peasants and all our customers can afford to ship all our rebuilding jobs to you for that perfect Chernobieff restoration, you might want to back off a bit. :-)

Last edited by freelife; 04/06/21 02:37 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In no way did i suggest the work come to me. Nor, am i a purest, but i just think a job should be done right. Crappy work is a black eye to the whole industry of rebuilding. Since you're in California, i suggest you or client send the work to Erwin Piano Restorations, their work is stellar.

On crappy work, i'll say it for what it is. On good work i'll praise it.

-chris

Last edited by Chernobieff Piano; 04/06/21 03:53 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And as regards to a customers budget. On numerous occassions I have done new bridge caps for free. Among other piano stuff. Simply because i want to build a good reputation and i recognized a long time a go, its not a piano business, its a make people happy business.

The cost of a new bridge cap is nothing when you compare it to a customer who wants to send you referrals.

Try it.

-chris

B
B
Ending this thread on a sour note once again, I see he's still doing it. Hah!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission