2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
43 members (anotherscott, BlakeOR, AWilley, accordeur, Archipelago, 1957, Charles Cohen, 8 invisible), 432 guests, and 602 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 265 of 274 1 2 263 264 265 266 267 273 274
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by kailord
Hi David, are you David Swartz from Cory ?
I notice this link discouraged waxing:

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/cleaning-and-polishing-a-pianos-finish/

No.

I like using wax, too. The right kind of wax.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My Clav is twelve years old. My wife used to dust it with a faux-feather duster. If she slacked off then I would wipe it with a damp cloth.
Save for a scratch on the key cover (don't ask) it looks as good as new.

The PE finish is quite durable. It needs no polish (heaven forbid!) nor any wax or oil. Likewise the keys.

This is all modern polymer chemistry. No porosity. No problems.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The PE finish is quite durable. It needs no polish (heaven forbid!) nor any wax or oil. Likewise the keys.

This is all modern polymer chemistry. No porosity. No problems.

I used to believe that too. Then the real world got in the way smile Random grime, airborne cooking grease, etc., eventually made the finish impervious to dusting (or damp microfiber cloth). A little experiment with a no-residue car wax and WOW. I would never have guessed. Now, the gloss looks as deep as the ocean, and when I toss the cloth runner on top of the piano, it slides along the entire surface until it falls off right off the back laugh And a duster works to clean the surface again!

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
K
K
NV10 doesn't have non slip ivorite keys so it does benefit from wiping keys to reduce grease and sweat. It does feel better after I wipe it with just dry microfibre cloth. But it never could regain the initial feeling when I got it new - they keys were squeaky dry it felt almost painful to play, but felt totally oil-less.

My touch screen still has the plastic film that came when it was new. It works well even with the plastic film so I'm not removing it yet.

I'm still assessing pedal weight of acoustic grands - I was surprised by an Essex small grand in a showroom. It's sustain pedal was "soft" compared to NV10, and it's middle pedal was "medium" which means firmer than the sustain. Oddly the left pedal was a little hard, but still not as hard as my NV10 sustain. Surprised me how different the pedal weight was.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by kailord
NV10 doesn't have non slip ivorite keys so it does benefit from wiping keys to reduce grease and sweat. It does feel better after I wipe it with just dry microfibre cloth. But it never could regain the initial feeling when I got it new - they keys were squeaky dry it felt almost painful to play, but felt totally oil-less.

My touch screen still has the plastic film that came when it was new. It works well even with the plastic film so I'm not removing it yet.

I'm still assessing pedal weight of acoustic grands - I was surprised by an Essex small grand in a showroom. It's sustain pedal was "soft" compared to NV10, and it's middle pedal was "medium" which means firmer than the sustain. Oddly the left pedal was a little hard, but still not as hard as my NV10 sustain. Surprised me how different the pedal weight was.

I will also wipe down the keys with a dry microfiber cloth every now and then (particularly after the kids use the piano!) but I find that just playing on the keys regularly tends to keep the grease/dust off of them. I also use the felt runner and close the fallboard whenever I'm not playing the piano.

I think the differing weights between the three pedals is absolutely normal. Remember that in an acoustic, each pedal actuates a completely different set of mechanical pieces, from lifting aluminum rails to sliding the entire keybed and action assembly side to side. The variability is just natural. The thing with the NV-10's sustain pedal is that it seems to be well on the stiffer side of normal, so even for pianists accustomed to differing pedal weights, many of us come away thinking "huh, that's a bit stiffer than the norm." When I'm not wearing shoes, prolonged playing with the pedal actually made my foot sore.

I don't worry much about cleaning the piano. If there's dust it's always plainly visible and easily remedied.

And there's nothing else around that might pollute my piano.

The kitchen is on the other side of the house, so food "emissions" don't come anywhere near.
There are no kids in the house anymore, so there are no kid messes that can spoil things.
And I don't eat or drink near the piano, so there are no crumbs or spills in the keyboard. (I cannot say the same about the computer keyboard.)

In short ... I'm not inclined to obsess over this.
Nor about surge protectors. Nor about leaving it turned on vs. turning it off.
I just play it. S'good.

R
R
Just ordered a NV10! After going back & forth, over and over again between the N1X, NV5 and NV10 for a month, I'm going to join the hands-on part of this thread in a couple of days.

Really excited, delivery on Wednesday.

M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Has anyone had zero issues with their NV10 since they bought one? Anyone wish they'd bought a N1X for example instead.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rmnd
Just ordered a NV10! After going back & forth, over and over again between the N1X, NV5 and NV10 for a month, I'm going to join the hands-on part of this thread in a couple of days.

Really excited, delivery on Wednesday.

Congratulations! That's super-fast delivery!

Tough choice, but if I had to do it all over again, I would also pick the NV10.

Originally Posted by mwf
Has anyone had zero issues with their NV10 since they bought one? Anyone wish they'd bought a N1X for example instead.

Once you experience the buttery smooth and even action of the NV10, it's hard to want anything else.

My primary issue was that the sustain pedal spring was too stiff for my tastes, but Kawai took care of me.

The N1X would probably be a step down in my opinion, other than the audio interface and binaural samples. I have my own audio interface anyway, the NV10 sounds great on headphones, and my preferred VI has binaural support.

Also, to be perfectly shallow, seeing this on my piano would be a problem for me:

[Linked Image]

N1X users feel the same way about the NV10 touchscreen but I have customized it perfectly for me (this is an old capture):

[Linked Image]

The NV10 is a pure joy to use everyday and I will be happy with it for years to come. It's a hard to beat piano, so I look forward to seeing what's next from Kawai and Yamaha.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The N1X display only shows the red characters for a second while you change stuff. It’s completely dark afterwards. Unlike the led backlighting on the NV10 that would distract me 😄 But each to their own.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/03/21 05:17 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
R
R
Thanks Navindra! Indeed fast delivery, as far as I know it's the only NV10 new in box to be found in a wide area. Thomann (delivery from Germany) indicated end of the month, other sellers indicated "somewhere in summer". NV5 is nowhere to be found before summer. Some shops even indicating it could be somewhere October.

@mwf: sure hoping for smooth delivery :-) However, based on what I've read in this thread, I'm under the impression that in case there might be a problem, it will be sorted by either the dealer or Kawai.

For all people also having a hard time to decide: You cannot go wrong with the N1X, NV10 or NV5 (or N3X if that's in your budget - personally I think that thing is just to expensive). They are all crazy good instruments, these are the best digital piano's ever made, each with their strenghts and their little quirks. In the end I picked the NV10 because I liked the action just a little bit better (lighter & smoother). Could have picked the N1X because of the binaural and CFX or could have picked the NV5 because of the lower cost, smaller footprint and soundboard. Really enjoyed playing them all, don't think it's a step down, more like a step sideways.

ps. I've read both this thread and the N1X thread, many thanks for the elaborate discussions and especially all of you who put up youtube video's, especially the ones with the built-in sounds through line-out and mic.

pps. Just to be silly: almost picked the N1X because of the red felt. Anyone already had the felt replaced on the NV10?

M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I've decided on NV10, but i am very worried about repair and issues and also Kawai releasing a newer model this year, as there have been rumours.

I'd buy a nv10 in a heartbeat, as I've played on one, it's action is stupendous to me. However I have a kawai CA99, my first ever kawai piano, bought last year, it's had numerous issues from day 1, i have had to live with any issues also for months and months as they won't come out to fix it despite exchanging emails and phone calls, they have come out once when I first bought it to fix a heavy key, but after raising another warranty issue straight afterwards (squeeky keys this time) they have been avoiding me.

It's a shame as I'd be more than happy to give them £7500 for a NV10 tomorrow.

The frequent problems with the various Kawai instruments is pretty chilling. But it's all moot when there are no pianos available, eh?

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by CyberGene
The N1X display only shows the red characters for a second while you change stuff. It’s completely dark afterwards. Unlike the led backlighting on the NV10 that would distract me 😄 But each to their own.
Indeed if you just turn on and play the N1X panel is fine. It takes one or two quick button presses to get your favourite velocity curve, voice and reverb, then just play. After that if you want to fiddle with the settings there's the Yamaha smart app, or indulge with your favourite VST controls. Also the grandchildren are lost trying to fiddle with the N1X panel. So for now you can keep the NVX touchy (!) screen with it's hopeless navigation and list of problems. crazy

The AG buttons 'n' LED is so 1970s. It was beyond quaint when I bought my Clav 13 years ago. It's positively archaic today.

I would much prefer a touch screen. But not at the cost of suffering the problems that the NV has with it.
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
So for now you can keep the NVX touchy (!) screen with it's hopeless navigation and list of problems. crazy

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The AG buttons 'n' LED is so 1970s. It was beyond quaint when I bought my Clav 13 years ago. It's positively archaic today.

I would much prefer a touch screen. But not at the cost of suffering the problems that the NV has with it.
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
So for now you can keep the NVX touchy (!) screen with it's hopeless navigation and list of problems. crazy

Even if you were to forget about the touchscreen and cover it up, the Novus has also solved the turn on and play problem.

I turn on my Novus and play... it goes straight to my VI of choice, which I can operate wirelessly via my iPad if I need to. The Novus restores all my desired settings, no fiddling involved.

If I wanted to play with the 88 extra instruments (like Slow Strings) on the Novus, I'd use the touchscreen, but I could easily pick the one I wanted and save it to a favorite.

I believe I have also adequately proven the touchscreen can be used during live play to switch between settings.

Not to say it couldn't be better -- it certainly could be.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think the best type of interface is the one on the Clavinovas and old CA - physical buttons with some UI. Touch Screens with rich UI are hard to control, especially when you're not facing the screen straight above from a close distance. An inadvertent touch to the screen would result in changing settings and that's not good, although it may seem like an eye candy. But I agree that the old-fashioned interface on the AG-pianos is also suboptimal. However between a rich touch screen and a 1970-s display I choose the latter for the simple fact it works robustly and with a tactile feel, doesn't distract and in a dark room it's completely switched off.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/04/21 05:28 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
E
E
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I think the best type of interface is the one on the Clavinovas and old CA - physical buttons with some UI. Touch Screens with rich UI are hard to control, especially when you're not facing the screen straight above from a close distance. An inadvertent touch to the screen would result in changing settings and that's not good, although it may seem like an eye candy. But I agree that the old-fashioned interface on the AG-pianos is also suboptimal. However between a rich touch screen and a 1970-s display I choose the latter for the simple fact it works robustly and with a tactile feel, doesn't distract and in a dark room it's completely switched off.
I completely agree. I don't see any advantage in a "built-in smartphone", the best piano controls are the tactile sensations from buttons.

VSL Steinway D-274, Pianoteq 7, Ravenscroft 275
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
It's like command line vs gui all over again smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Evgeny 85
I completely agree. I don't see any advantage in a "built-in smartphone", the best piano controls are the tactile sensations from buttons.

Stage pianos have gone back to 1960s space ship controls, which I favor over touch screens too.

Yamaha P-515
Page 265 of 274 1 2 263 264 265 266 267 273 274

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The real pop book v3?
by Sebs - 05/05/21 10:35 PM
1997 Young Chang G Model
by texasheat - 05/05/21 10:10 PM
An embarassing first piano lesson
by total_beginner - 05/05/21 05:56 PM
Grand piano geometry question
by TTWK - 05/05/21 05:48 PM
Queen Elisabeth Piano Competition 2021
by AndresVel - 05/05/21 04:44 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,738
Posts3,090,194
Members101,421
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission