2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
22 members (Chapitrilfo, David B, Bruce Sato, Beansparrow, ColonelBogey, Dore, gooddog, Georg Z., achoo42, 4 invisible), 443 guests, and 573 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
S
“Killing it” = in a side-by-side audition at Bonners, having to force myself (a big Yamaha fan) to keep switching to play the N1X to “give it a fair go” when in reality I knew after a few minutes on each the NV10 was in a different league.

Yes Kawai’s slow fiddly touchscreen software sucks and you can’t turn off the damn backlight - but it still leaves Yamaha’s 7-segment + button/key interface in the dust.

Yamaha’s combined USB midi & audio interface is nice but Kawai’s separate midi-USB cable plus analog audio cable works just fine.

Yamaha’s Binaural CFX samples are nice if you use headphones alot - but Kawai’s sounds are excellent too and given the range of external VSTs available, the built-in sounds aren’t the most important factor. It’s all about the action - and the NV10’s is a dream for any player coming from a budget digital piano.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This makes me want to postpone purchase of an N1X, and wait for the N1Y.
Hmmmm ... shall I start a new thread called New Yamaha N1Y Incoming?!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I’m already waiting for the N1Y, Mac.

I think the “next generation” of hybrids (Kawai included) will take things to a whole new level.

Keep in mind that the N3X is already 5 years old and it was just a ‘spec bump’ rather than a full redesign, so that’s something to keep an eye on. As for the N1X, I believe it’s only 2 years old, so yes, a little bit of a longer wait there.

But remember, good things come to those who wait!

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
So Pete14 is waiting for the male version of the N1 wink

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
blush

M
M
Originally Posted by Tyr
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I haven't heard many people who use the piano speakers for VST-s. It rarely sounds good because they are optimized for the internal sound, not for general audio playback. That being said, Garritan CFX sounds very lush through the N1X speakers. A plus is that it has an audio interface, so a single USB cable takes care of MIDI and clean digital audio.

The NU1X Speakers are really good for VST playback. Also the NV5 with its Soundboard delivers a solid experience. On the NV10 it was awkward as heck.

I'm also thinking that I'd prefer the next Novus/AvantGrands to have good base samples with a good multichannel speaker setup. VSTs, meh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Yes, once in a while I'll do the extra effort of setting up a VST to record something, but most of the time I guess I'll just want to turn on the piano and play.

Thus I'm fine if the speaker setup is suboptimal, as long as it works well with the internal samples. Although I find it strange that Novus pianos have audio over bluetooth but not over USB.

I post piano stuff on my instagram page --> https://www.instagram.com/marchelune smile
I own an old Roland FP-4, looking for a hybrid piano to upgrade to!

Current work: Beethoven's Sonata No. 17 (Der Sturm) Mv. III.
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
The Novus has both line-in and line-out connections.

Kawai NV10
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Tyr
I haven't heard many people who use the piano speakers for VST-s. It rarely sounds good because they are optimized for the internal sound, not for general audio playback. That being said, Garritan CFX sounds very lush through the N1X speakers. A plus is that it has an audio interface, so a single USB cable takes care of MIDI and clean digital audio.

The NU1X Speakers are really good for VST playback. Also the NV5 with its Soundboard delivers a solid experience. On the NV10 it was awkward as heck.

Why was the NV10 awkward as heck? As far as I'm aware it's same system as ca99, which I own, you just use an audio interface, audio cable and usb cable. Added benefit is you can set the buffer size, you can't on the N1X and apparently its stuck at at fairly high buffer size, i can run my vst at 64 or even 32 via my UR22. The set up on my ca99 is easy, not awkward at all... Just requires 1 more cable so i dont see the N1X built in audio interface any advantage.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I can set the buffer size of the audio interface in my N1X down to 32. That’s on Mac though. Not sure about Windows but it’s cr*p anyway.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
R
R
All DPs have a built-in DAC, otherwise the digital audio engine would not be able to be converted into an analog signal that can be played out through speakers or headphones.

But only Yamaha makes the built-in DAC available to users via USB. Both Win and Mac users will find the Steinberg Audio Interface option when they connect their DP to PC via USB, including buffer size.

This is really convenient, and I hope other manufacturers will open up this feature. Ofcourse, in my personal experience with VSTs, however, I have never expected much from the quality of the built-in DAC(44.1/16), which can make a huge difference in the sound output from different grade of Steinberg, Apogee, Apollo, or RME. Especially with a high quality monitoring system, the difference between a $200 and $2,000 DAC can be significant.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
B
Burkey Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by robinlb
All DPs have a built-in DAC, otherwise the digital audio engine would not be able to be converted into an analog signal that can be played out through speakers or headphones.

But only Yamaha makes the built-in DAC available to users via USB
I think both Korg and Roland have USB Audio - e.g. Roland's FP-30X, FP-60X, and FP-90X.

Kawai and Casio do need to get their act together smile

Last edited by Burkey; 04/03/21 02:56 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
R
R
Originally Posted by Burkey
I think both Korg and Roland have USB Audio - e.g. Roland's FP-30X, FP-60X, and FP-90X.

Kawai and Casio do need to get their act together smile

Sorry, probably in the context of what I'm saying, I'm referring primarily to upright style DPs at home. Not including portable or stage DPs.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Oh I thought the buffer size was set for you when you plug a usb into N1X to laptop and you couldn't change it.

So you actually can change the buffer size down to what you want on your laptop without extra software? Its all included? There's a steinberg driver set up automatically?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No need for Steinberg drivers when using the N1X embedded USB-interface outputs, both on Mac and Windows (not sure about Windows though), it’s class-compliant and the buffer size should be configurable in the DAW or the standalone app, e.g. Garritan CFX. I can confirm that.

If you want to record the N1X sound digitally through its USB-interface in a DAW (i.e. use the digital audio “input”), I previously thought drivers were needed, because that was mentioned on the Yamaha website, however it turned out that’s also not true and I could use the inputs in Logic or GarageBand and record without drivers. Not sure about Windows again.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/03/21 01:24 PM.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
No need for Steinberg drivers when using the N1X embedded USB-interface outputs, both on Mac and Windows (not sure about Windows though)

CG, my experience with AG-06 was I needed to install Yamaha's drivers. AG-06 worked fine with Windows drivers until I needed to set it for Pianoteq: latency was terrible (huge buffer by default, lots of drops with lower buffer sizes). Only after installing the ASIO drivers I had it fixed. I suspect the same will happen with N1X USB audio.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I remember that on my old MacBook 12” there was a perceptible latency even on buffer size of 32 which made me think the audio interface in the N1X was not good.

I haven’t used it until I purchased the MacBook Air M1 and now things are OK although I would say even at 32 there’s some small latency that is acceptable but could still be better.

Wondering whether in both cases an installation of the Steinberg drivers (there are drivers for Mac too on the Yamaha website) would help. I’ll try these days.

BTW, in Logic when setting the buffer size of 32, Logic calculates an estimated latency of 9ms but I’m wondering if that’s a round-trip based on the input latency + the output latency since Logic also automatically assigns the input as well as output.

Check out this new thread I started about the DGX670 vs the MP7se: http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/topics/3104030.html#Post3104030

Last edited by Djengis; 04/09/21 07:10 AM.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KORG SP170S PANEL REMOVAL?
by Prof. Piano - 05/11/21 11:59 PM
KORG SP170S PANEL REMOVAL?
by Prof. Piano - 05/11/21 11:50 PM
WTC C-maj fugue (bk 1) analysis question
by hawgdriver - 05/11/21 10:55 PM
DP model numbers and years sold?
by ObtuseMoose - 05/11/21 10:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,876
Posts3,092,491
Members101,481
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission