2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3100979 04/02/21 07:02 AM
K
OP Offline
K
I just wanted to give a quick review of the KORG LP-380 if anyone is interested.

This is the new version with USB midi. I managed to get it for decent price £649 from Andertons. Most other places sell it for £100 to £200 more, so it was a good deal.

Keybed is amazing. It is slightly clicky when you press the keys. Slightly annoying if you play at low volumes but nothing too bad. I tested the velocity with Pianoteq. It is almost a straight line and can play very low and very high velocities very well. That was my main concern, because I mainly want to play with VST instruments.

Has very powerful speakers, but because of the placement of the speakers under the piano bed, some of the high frequencies are getting lost.

Built in piano sounds are average. Nothing spectacular.

I have been playing around with it and found the perfect sound. Its easier if you see the picture

[img]http://ibb.co/ZHxRgSh[/img]

Basically I loaded up Garritan CFX on my monitor speakers. But becase the piano is between my front monitor speaker and my surround monitor speaker, they are facing each other.
You would think that this is is a bad thing, but it's actually not. It is creating a cool effect like the sound is coming from everywhere and nowhere in particular.
This is creating a very realistic piano effect. I also added the sound of the KORG piano to create at the same time the effect the the soundboard sound coming from below.
What's also especially important about turning on the volume on the KORG piano is that you can feel the vibrations on your fingers while playing the piano.

The combination of all that create a piano sound that you wouldn't believe possible. It's just amazing.

Last edited by karoloydi; 04/02/21 07:05 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by karoloydi

You cannot use the link directly to post(it does not work, as you can (not) see smile ). You need to pick the BBCode to incorporate in a post.

Nice (fire)place, BTW. smile

Enjoy you new piano.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by EVC2017; 04/02/21 07:25 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Direct sound speakers just don't work for me. The sound should not be directional at all so forwards or downwards speakers should be ok in practice if you turn up the treble a tad.
But if you, in addition, add the VST through a different set, you'll get an amazing combination. Even if both pianos went through the same spekers it would sound amazing.
Nothing like any piano I've ever heard or played though!
Enjoy it.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
N
N
Very attractive set up! How do you hide the cables so discreetly? And the computer too?

Glad you like the new LP-380U. I got the C1 Air last fall & love the keybed too. It just feels great to play. No clicky sounds with mine, though. And yes, the on board piano sounds won't fool anyone into thinking it's a Steinway grand, but they're enjoyable for my purposes. I envy you having USB midi/audio! Such a convenience.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What a cozy piano/music room with warm lighting! Enjoy the LP-380!

Keybed is amazing. It is slightly clicky when you press the keys. Slightly annoying if you play at low volumes but nothing too bad. It is almost a straight line and can play very low and very high velocities very well.
Built in piano sounds are average. Nothing spectacular.

I still have my few years old D1 which I believe is the same keybed and sound engine as the LP - and I agree with those assessments of yours completely!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
K
OP Offline
K
One thing I forgot to mention that if a good plus is that it has built in USB Audio.
What this means is that you can use ASIO4ALL and use the piano speakers to play VST Instruments.
I tested with Pianoteq and it works very well.

O
O
One thing I forgot to mention that if a good plus is that it has built in USB Audio.
What this means is that you can use ASIO4ALL and use the piano speakers to play VST Instruments.

How exactly do you achieve this?

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by OU812
How exactly do you achieve this?

Connect the usb cable from piano to the PC, install usb drivers, Install ASIO4ALL on PC. Start the software on the PC. Select ASIO4ALL as output device. In ASIO4ALL select KORG LP380 as audio device.

That's it

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E

That means you own the LP380U karoloydi, the original 380 did not have usb. Why did you lie to us karoloydi, joke.

Have you tried heavier vsts which use alot of CPU+I/O ?

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by EinLudov

That means you own the LP380U karoloydi, the original 380 did not have usb. Why did you lie to us karoloydi, joke.

Have you tried heavier vsts which use alot of CPU+I/O ?

hahaha. Yeah. It's the LP380U.
I tried Garritan CFX. It works fine, until you play very fast. Then its a bit hard to keep up.

K
OP Offline
K
I found a new way to use my setup that is even better. It improves the dynamics a lot.
I load 2 versions of pianoteq:
One is the standalone version playing through my LP-380 speakers with the microphones set to be close together (like a middle speaker in surround 5.1)
The other version I load as VST from Cubase and I setup my 4 monitor speakers to be the surround speakers.
It works amazingly well with Steinway D. The other pianos have some phasing issues with surround.

R
R
Hello everyone !

I was planning to buy Korg D1 and use it with a set of monitor speakers and Garritan CFX. But D1 is not available right now in my country. My purpose is home use and I wanted to get the RH3 action. Do you think that I should buy the LP380U ?

I read in the comments above that it is indeed possible to send MIDI data through the keyboard to a VST and play the output from the speakers of the piano itself while turning off the local sounds of the LP380U. I am wondering if the speakers onboard are adequate enough to express all the different nuances of the Garritan CFX especially the Bass and how would they compare against a D1 + VST + Monitor speakers setup ??

The speakers on the LP380U are 22W + 22W and the monitors will be 25W + 25W (Mackie CR3X 3 Inch Reference Studio Multimedia Monitors - Pair).

P.S. Absolutely love the room setup in the picture above.

Aspiring decent Pianist
Software Engineer
Korg LP-380U
Garritan CFX
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Ring Slinger
Hello everyone !

I was planning to buy Korg D1 and use it with a set of monitor speakers and Garritan CFX. But D1 is not available right now in my country. My purpose is home use and I wanted to get the RH3 action. Do you think that I should buy the LP380U ?

I read in the comments above that it is indeed possible to send MIDI data through the keyboard to a VST and play the output from the speakers of the piano itself while turning off the local sounds of the LP380U. I am wondering if the speakers onboard are adequate enough to express all the different nuances of the Garritan CFX especially the Bass and how would they compare against a D1 + VST + Monitor speakers setup ??

The speakers on the LP380U are 22W + 22W and the monitors will be 25W + 25W (Mackie CR3X 3 Inch Reference Studio Multimedia Monitors - Pair).

P.S. Absolutely love the room setup in the picture above.

For me it's not the bass that's the big issue. It's the high frequencies. Because of the placement of the speakers, some of the high frequencies are lost. Bass frequencies are quite good at travelling through solid objects. High frequencies, not as much.

3" woofer on the Mackies would also have trouble to produce bass frequencies. You would need at least 5". A good middle compromise would be the CR4X, if you can't afford the CR5X.

Last edited by karoloydi; 11/18/21 02:57 AM.
R
R
I see your point.
Thanks for the information smile

Aspiring decent Pianist
Software Engineer
Korg LP-380U
Garritan CFX
R
R
I wanted to know the velocity curve of Garritan CFX when used with Korg LP380U. I am a beginner pianist and currently use the default setup but sometimes I feel that I need to press the treble keys more aggressively in order for the treble to sing on top of the bass. I would love to know a general velocity curve which is comparable to what any pianist would expect from an actual acoustic grand.

Aspiring decent Pianist
Software Engineer
Korg LP-380U
Garritan CFX
K
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
K
go by feel, there is no general curve.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission