2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (ajf0016, cygnusdei, clothearednincompo, Beemer, Ben_NZ, Boboulus, 12 invisible), 836 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Oh, come to think of it, I also dislike the middle section of Chopin's 37/2 (aka the "2nd Sigh"), at least up until now, maybe I need to give it another chance, like the middle section of 26/2 which I used to hate until very recently, when I finally learned to play it properly :-)

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by hawgdriver
[...]
Bruce, 23/5 is magical in the right hands (Richter's)! Don't do this to me!
[...]

I did not say that it was the Op. 23, No. 5; in fact, it isn't!

But I now blush with embarrassment, because it's not a Prelude, it's one of the ... !

Those who assumed the Sonata I alluded to was the Hammerklavier, also guessed wrong. But who cares?

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by hawgdriver
[...]
Bruce, 23/5 is magical in the right hands (Richter's)! Don't do this to me!
[...]

I did not say that it was the Op. 23, No. 5; in fact, it isn't!

But I now blush with embarrassment, because it's not a Prelude, it's one of the ... !

Those who assumed the Sonata I alluded to was the Hammerklavier, also guessed wrong. But who cares?

Cheers!

My first thought was actually the Liszt. But Op 106 makes sense too, it has that elitist stamp of approval that is trendy to reject. Personally I'm unqualified to judge. I'm just now beginning to understand why the Goldberg variations might be worthwhile, and why Glenn Gould was the best and worst thing for that.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Polonaise Fantasie
Most of the unnamed Beethoven sonatas...including the last 3
Winter wind etude
Mozart concerto 24
Brahms 1

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
How popular is the Polonaise-Fantaisie? Not saying it's obscure but it's still much less played by the great pianists compared to other Chopin works. It's one of my favorite Chopin works though, which is why I'm asking 😄

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
OK, now I need to go learn Chopin op 9/2, just to see why people hate it so much. I have already played the Military Polonaise, so I've got that going for me. And I love playing that piece - when I am in the right mood.

Sam

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by CyberGene
How popular is the Polonaise-Fantaisie? Not saying it's obscure but it's still much less played by the great pianists compared to other Chopin works. It's one of my favorite Chopin works though, which is why I'm asking 😄
In my recital going and listening experience, the Polonaise Fantasie is quite popular. It's also frequently played in competitions.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Sam S
OK, now I need to go learn Chopin op 9/2, just to see why people hate it so much. I have already played the Military Polonaise, so I've got that going for me. And I love playing that piece - when I am in the right mood.

Sam
Yes, go for it! I used to like it (I was quite proud of being able to play it at one time) but an on-line piano seller here uses the first few bars for demonstrating the tone of acoustics and digitals - played with 'varying degrees of sensitivity.' Oddly enough, their 'easy listening' style piece is not nearly so irritating.

regards
Pete
Chopin Ballades for me. My Professor suggested I consider one for LRSM, but I had trouble even listening through them. They're just... boring. Long and boring. YMMV.

I also don't care for most Romantic and modern piano music as well. I personally decline to spend much time on anything after Ravel.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Chopin 9/2 is one of the best tests you can use for piano tone. If a piano has poor sustain, you won't be able to produce the nice, even singing tone 9/2 demands. The G that is the 2nd note of the melody is right in the lion's den of piano tone.

Chopin 9/2, 10/3, or Schumann Of Strange Lands and People from Kinderscenen can separate the wheat from the chaff quite rapidly when evaluating pianos and their tone.

Taking a break from Piano World but I will receive PMs.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Chopin 9/2 is one of the best tests you can use for piano tone. If a piano has poor sustain, you won't be able to produce the nice, even singing tone 9/2 demands. The G that is the 2nd note of the melody is right in the lion's den of piano tone.

Wow, I hadn't realised that. Some clever people at that piano store? Must admit I was more put-off by the clunking of the bass, kind of 'la da thud thud,' but I'll listen more closely next time.

regards
Pete
F
F
Originally Posted by boo1234
Mozart concerto 24

Haha, that's funny you mention that concerto, I considered writing that one down in my list (how could Mozart have written such a piece?) but didn't really want to upset anyone by saying that!

Pianist-in-training who changes his signature...alot.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApZEtefyPogkULpO9BSMmw

I believe certain composers and their pieces in the less-played repertoire ought to be re-examined.
Originally Posted by TBell
I tense up when I get wedding invitations knowing I will probably have to hear Canon in D by Pachelbel.

LOL! I actually teach my 6th grade Music Appreciation students the name of this piece and I tell them, "I can just about guarantee that during the course of your lifetime, one day you'll be at a wedding and hear this." And then I grab a bouquet (strategically placed off to the side as the canon is playing), and right as the "really pretty" part starts with the violins in thirds, I start "walking down the aisle." As I walk, I tell them, "THIS is Andante. Casual walking speed."

I should probably get my old wedding veil out as an additional prop.

FYI: They did not play Canon in D for my wedding processional.

aka Lady Arabesque
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/hayburner1969
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Farazissimo
Originally Posted by boo1234
Mozart concerto 24

Haha, that's funny you mention that concerto, I considered writing that one down in my list (how could Mozart have written such a piece?) but didn't really want to upset anyone by saying that!

It's one of my favorites even though I don't listen too often. I think the problem that might get in the way is that Mozart apparently did not fully write out the piano part. I guess he finished this one only 3 weeks after #23 and intended to just improvise the part in performance.

But there are many special qualities to the piece as a concept and there are really special orchestral parts. Like how some of the string sections sound ghostly in the first movement. Not to mention how beautiful the woodwinds are.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mozart + minor key = 😀

We had a classical guitarist at our wedding. Think Fernando Sor. Very Scarlatti-like. We’re divorced now. I should have chosen the Pachelbel. It might have helped.

Last edited by cfhosford; 04/04/21 02:07 PM.

1978 Chickering & Sons
“Patrician,” 5’ 8.5” (178 cm)
Aeolian American
East Rochester, NY
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tchaikovsky's Dance of the sugar plum fairy. Terrible! shocked

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I am sorry to say this, but - almost everything by Ravel and Debussy. I have tried to listen seriously to their music on several occasions, but I can never see what other people see in it, and I just get bored.

As a schoolboy aged about 14, I went to a piano lesson, to find that my teacher had put Ravel's Sonatine on the music desk. This was my first encounter with Ravel. I spent some time struggling through the first three bars - my teacher said I should practice it for next week. The following lesson, I was still struggling through the first three bars - as was also the case the following week. It just seemed to me to be a meaningless collection of notes. At that point my teacher gave up and we went back to Beethoven.

I have of course heard Ravel and Debussy in recitals. But I am afraid that I always find myself sitting there looking at my watch, wishing for the end.

Last edited by David-G; 04/04/21 06:36 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
Tchaikovsky's Dance of the sugar plum fairy. Terrible! shocked

I feel that way about much of the Nutcracker, although my least favorite is the snow: Ahhhhhhh Ahhhhhhh Aaahhh Ahh Ahh...

Learner
S
S
Originally Posted by David-G
I am sorry to say this, but - almost everything by Ravel and Debussy. I have tried to listen seriously to their music on several occasions, but I can never see what other people see in it, and I just get bored.

As a schoolboy aged about 14, I went to a piano lesson, to find that my teacher had put Ravel's Sonatine on the music desk. This was my first encounter with Ravel. I spent some time struggling through the first three bars - my teacher said I should practice it for next week. The following lesson, I was still struggling through the first three bars - as was also the case the following week. It just seemed to me to be a meaningless collection of notes. At that point my teacher gave up and we went back to Beethoven.

I have of course heard Ravel and Debussy in recitals. But I am afraid that I always find myself sitting there looking at my watch, wishing for the end.

Just my opinion, of course, but Debussy is like the Chainsmokers of his time. All his music sounds the same. *insert shrug emoji*

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain Pedal Use
by john fh - 09/25/21 02:13 AM
Insulted a Kawai salesman with straight talk
by Cristofori - 09/25/21 01:37 AM
Berg Sieben Früher Lieder and more
by MinscAndBoo - 09/24/21 08:47 PM
Free Books
by Larry Fine - 09/24/21 07:18 PM
Need help finding a piece (Streabbog?)
by cygnusdei - 09/24/21 06:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,282
Posts3,134,985
Members102,816
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission