2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (chrisb42, c++, Baltguy, David B, bsalad, accordeur, anotherscott, Asperatology, 9 invisible), 532 guests, and 564 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi all,

I have a problem: My old man vision. When I was young, I could see the notes easily. Now I can't see the music when it's on the music rack and I am on the piano bench.

Can't see it with regular glasses because it's too close for them to work. Can't see it with readers unless I get so close it entirely messes up my posture and puts my arms and wrists at extreme angles. Can't see it without glasses.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm bummed out and fresh out of solutions.

Thanx,

Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Do you have a grand? I had this issue with my upright, but the grand has an adjustable music desk. Now it’s perfect without my wearing reading glasses.

There are different magnifications of readers. Maybe try some stronger ones? Not sure...🙁

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm sure the right eye-glasses/readers will help. Maybe you just haven't found the right pair yet. Talk to your optometrist maybe?

In the Piano Buddies group I'm a member of, several of the members, like myself, are older/retired and when it is their turn to play, they always have to change eye-glasses in order to see the sheet music. But the reading glasses seem to help them a lot.

As for me, I play mostly by ear, and don't need my regular eye-glasses to play the piano; sometimes when I play, I wear my eye-glasses and sometimes not, depending on my mood. If I'm making a music video of one of my original blues songs, I'll wear my dark sunglass just for "cool" factor. smile

Sam Smith, the guy that heads up the Piano Buddies group, and also a PW member, uses an I-Pad with the music on the I-Pad. He uses a blue-tooth foot pedal to turn the pages. Pretty neat!

My (glass-half-full) mantra? To every problem, there is a solution, as a general rule. smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Stormbringer, what you need is what they call “computer glasses”. This pair is the pair you use in between your reading glasses and your distance glasses. It’s for mid-vision. I’ve just been written a prescription for such a pair because I work at my computer all day.

Reading a book or tablet is about 10 -14 inches away. Working at a computer and reading piano music is a bit farther away, enough that your reading glasses won’t work all that well.

You need to see an optometrist to get a specialized prescription based on how far your piano music is.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 03/30/21 10:30 PM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yep, second the “computer glasses” recommendation! That’s what I have, and they work just right for computer and piano. It’s a pain sometimes having to deal with two different pairs of glasses, but I like being able to see so I put up with it! smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Yep, second the “computer glasses” recommendation! That’s what I have, and they work just right for computer and piano. It’s a pain sometimes having to deal with two different pairs of glasses, but I like being able to see so I put up with it! smile

I don't have a problem dealing with different pairs of glasses. In fact, I have a pair for almost every day of the week, depending on my mood. But I do have a favorite pair (or two:-)! smile

[Linked Image]

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
C
I play many engagements on upright bass with a symphony and a chamber orchestra. Sometimes the sheet music is not ideal, just poor copies.

I went to my optometrist and got a fresh eye examine. Then took it to the Costco eye department and got them to set up my glasses for the usual distance I need for a music stand. These are my ‘music reading glasses’.

Worked out great.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I second/third/fourth - whatever we're up to - with Computer glasses.

I got them for Pipe Organ which has the music stand about Grand Piano distance - BUT - I have large frames, and as Bi-Focals, with the reading section higher than normal - about the middle - so I can still see the congregation and Minister in the outer section of the lens. In fact, I like them so much, I tend to wear them everywhere.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
A nice set of progressive lenses will solve your problem, as long as the sheet music is somewhat lower than your straight-ahead vision.
Will set you back $400-500, but worth it. It's like having regular glasses and reading glasses all in one.

If that is too expensive, a set of trifocals will also work.

Last edited by trooplewis; 03/31/21 12:02 AM.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The best solution, at least for me, was to have my optometrist make a special pair of "piano glasses" for me. I measured the distance from eye to sheet music and had a single-view prescription made to optimize my vision from 24" to 30" distance.

I have progressives for general use, but they certainly don't work for reading music scores for me, although trooplewis' seem to work for him. In my case, progressives have too much range from close reading to distance, so to get the focus right I have to move my head up or down to keep the optimum viewing distance, the "sweet point," focused on the line of music. With single-vision glasses (this is a case where drug-store "readers" were not an optimal solution for me; you might get lucky), you can quickly glance up-down, side to side without having to bob your head to accommodate that point in the progressive lenses where the vision focuses on the music.

Do yourself that favour; you will appreciate it - in my opinion, of course. I can only speak what works well for me.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by BruceD
The best solution, at least for me, was to have my optometrist make a special pair of "piano glasses" for me. I measured the distance from eye to sheet music and had a single-view prescription made to optimize my vision from 24" to 30" distance.
Very good idea. And even better take a score with you to optometrist's office and use it for choosing glasses specifically for piano practice, because reading notes comfortably may require a little bit different glasses than reading text comfortably, at least it was true for me. Good luck to you!

Ditto here. I've had these for years and they work fine.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Me three(?)

I have progressive bifocals for my regular glasses, but I have single-vision glasses made specifically for the distance from where I sit to the music desk on my piano. Couldn't be without them! My bifocals have too narrow of a field of vision to read music with.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Agree with those who said about the 'Computer Glasses'
I have Progressive Lenses for seeing far away top part and bottom progresses for Computer & Piano Reading.
Book/Magazine/Close Up reading i take my glasses off completely.

JDM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I use what it is called "occupational glasses" by Zeiss, which are progressive lenses but with a maximum focusing distance of about 4m. There are other for shorter maximum distances, but I find these suitable for playing piano (an upright), working on electronics (which involves close views and also a computer monitor) and even doing my life at home and garden. I only use my other more generic progressive lenses, also by Zeiss, when I go out of home.

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
R
R
[quote=BruceD]The best solution, at least for me, was to have my optometrist make a special pair of "piano glasses" for me. I measured the distance from eye to sheet music and had a single-view prescription made to optimize my vision from 24" to 30" distance.

Yes. My thoughts exactly. You get my vote.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Bruce, this is brilliant! 👍👍👍👍👍

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Very good idea. And even better take a score with you to optometrist's office and use it for choosing glasses specifically for piano practice, because reading notes comfortably may require a little bit different glasses than reading text comfortably, at least it was true for me. Good luck to you!

Exactly this!
I have progressives for many things, but I find them completely unsatisfactory for piano.
I have complicated contact lenses that are my preferred solution for most activities.

Learner
E
Online Content
E
Old folks get presbyopia because their eye's lens and focus system becomes inflexible so they can't focus on close objects. Another solution is to buy a 65" to 86" Television and hang that on the wall ~5-8 feet away for Sheet music. You hook up an android tablet to it, and it'll blow up the music to the equivalent of a 35-40" screen from 2 feet. But because it's 5-8 feet away, people with presbyopia can still see it with normal glasses. It's more comfortable than using the special glasses.

This of course only works for grand pianos and small console uprights. If you've got a tall upright, you're going to need to go for the lenses. But old people can usually afford stuff, so they can just buy a grand piano and the big TV.

Last edited by EinLudov; 03/31/21 09:16 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I want to add another caution about progressive lenses. Standard progressive lenses are designed for a person to have the same glasses when being up and moving around, driving, and also reading, as in reading a book that maybe you're holding in your hands, so your eyes are looking out through the lower part of the lens.

When I try to play the piano with my progressive lenses (as opposed to my computer/piano glasses), unless I move my head all over the place (the others have described) it makes it look like the keyboard is curved and I almost get nauseous because I think then I start to move my head around trying to find the right to look down at the keys and back up at the music. Part of the problem is that progressive lenses, unlike traditional bifocals, gradually change prescription at different points in the lens. Bifocals have two prescriptions, top and bottom, and so in theory, if the bottom prescription went up high enough, those kind of glasses might work ok for piano (and probably desktop computer), but then they might not be good for being up and about, driving etc.

Computer glasses are generally *single* vision lenses, so the lens has a single correction that covers the entire surface of the lens. This way, if you're looking down (without really moving your head), looking at your hands, glancing to the left or right, and then back up to the score, you're still looking through the same lenses (the same degree of correction).

If you consult with an optometrist, you might start by telling them you want single vision lenses, and then get into the details.

So I would only recommend someone try progressives as piano glasses if the store allowed a full return (i.e. full money back), usually they don't.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1 Touchkeys
by Micahjd - 05/16/21 07:26 PM
Piano out of tune?
by TheodorN - 05/16/21 04:10 PM
iOS Pianos on iPad POLL
by RinTin - 05/16/21 01:50 PM
I can quit any time I want to ...
by Retsacnal - 05/16/21 01:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,967
Posts3,094,296
Members101,538
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission