2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (BlakeOR, AaronSF, c++, brennbaer, Beansparrow, anotherscott, BlaisGuitars, 20 invisible), 1,028 guests, and 501 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Even though I'm partial to the NY Steinway sound, this is gorgeous. I do wonder if I'd miss the richness of the Steinway, this is such a contrasting tone.

I hope that sort of grey/charcoal is the new standard color of their cover shown @1:35. I find it attractive and prefer it to the red.

Pierre has a 212 due to arrive April 10th. He said it has my name on it... grin Now if I only could convince my wife we need two pianos. wink laugh One for the house and the Steinway in the studio.

The lobbying continues.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Learux
[/quote]Of course its an ad. There was no attempt to imply anything else.

I am beginning to understand what other forum members have been posting about you.

You always this confrontational?[/quote]
My apologies.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Do people actually buy them or are these just novelties? I know they're incredibly well made pianos, but I've only ever seen one and it was in the middle of a shopping mall. It was kind of sad.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by itsfreakingmeout
Do people actually buy them or are these just novelties? I know they're incredibly well made pianos, but I've only ever seen one and it was in the middle of a shopping mall. It was kind of sad.

I would think that Fazioli would not continue making pianos if people didn't buy them. People with some funds, of course.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by BruceD

I would think that Fazioli would not continue making pianos if people didn't buy them. People with some funds, of course.

Regards,

But of course

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Regards,

But of course

I would love to have the opportunity to try one, but that's not very likely at present. Maybe that might be a good thing if I fell in love with one; I doubt that the budget would allow it!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I

Regards,

But of course

I would love to have the opportunity to try one, but that's not very likely at present. Maybe that might be a good thing if I fell in love with one; I doubt that the budget would allow it!

Regards,

I've always thought of them as the "supermodels" of the piano world. Very flashy, exclusive "designer" like philosophy is what I get whenever I am learning about them. Is that my biased towards Italians and their impeccable sense of beauty?

More seriously though, I feel like there should be more of them around if they are that good! That's why I asked if they are a "novelty". I'm 100% inquiring!

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Only you can assess if it is better than others. If you haven’t tried them, perhaps best to avoid judging their merit. I doubt many buy them for the case. I didn’t.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by dhull100
Only you can assess if it is better than others. If you haven’t tried them, perhaps best to avoid judging their merit. I doubt many buy them for the case. I didn’t.

It would be nice if you could help the rest of us understand instead of just telling us how to think.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Around the 9:50 mark, I hear a thumping/knocking sound, am I the only one?

I think it is the pedal hitting the upper stop but I am not positive.

Last edited by Learux; 03/30/21 05:50 PM.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
2006 August Forster 215
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Itsfreakingmeout, I actually meant what I said about this or any family of pianos. I don’t know how to put those experiences into unambiguous words, really. Further they are individual instruments and vary. The responsive action and remarkable evenness are the most objective measures I can tell you about, but I can’t do any better than that. Perhaps you are correct and they are novelties. You would be an outlier in that regard, but maybe. I’m not telling anyone how to think. I’m saying it is difficult to address your meaningless descriptors of flashy, exclusive designer, and supermodel. How does one expand on that? All pianos from any manufacturer and any condition stand on their own and don’t need defending as far as I’m concerned. Everyone will make their own choice based on their needs or desires for the instrument, and rightly so. Words and paychoacoustics are hard to match.

Last edited by dhull100; 03/30/21 06:01 PM.
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Learux
Around the 9:50 mark, I hear a thumping/knocking sound, am I the only one?

I think it is the pedal hitting the upper stop but I am not positive.

I hear something like damper noise maybe? I’m not sure about knocking. Could be!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have to say, I had a cringe reaction when Fazioli demo'ed the slow close fallboard. For some reason, every single piano salesperson in the world seem to feel the need to demo slow close fallboards... it's a little bit funny, because even toilet seats implement that same technology now.

It's banal and found on just about every modern piano... but people are impressed Fazioli has this?

The other thing that was surprising to me was the amount of time spent on the lid props. Nothing that was shown about the lid props was interesting in the least.

Cunningham Pianos, on the other hand, have bragging rights here because they seem to have made slow closing grand piano lids standard on their line. That is an amazing thing, an actual innovation, and something needed.

The production values on the Fazioli video were very nice, for sure. I especially found their living picture shots a really interesting technique.

And of course, the piano demonstration itself was impressive.

F
F
During my piano shopping, I tried a Fazioli and Steinway (they are about the same size) and both are about $200K Cdn....they both sound different but I enjoy both of them.

OK ... back to reality... while I need definitely a lotto jackpot to get the above grand....I think I'll be satisfied with Sauter grand which is half the price of the above. :P

Btw, thanks for sharing the video.

Last edited by fibbi; 03/30/21 09:06 PM.
Elsewhere on the forum I posted something about the book, “A Romance on Three Legs,” about Glenn Gould’s search for the perfect piano. The Steinway saga and its coercion of pianists is well documented in the book, even when its quality was very iffy. For the best touring artists, they offer you a piano at your recital hall, perhaps even in your home or for touring around. Cross them up by choosing a different brand somewhere on tour, and you’re toast. No more special treatment, complimentary tuning and tech, no more Steinways at your disposal. And try to find your preferred instrument (M&H, Baldwin, Fazioli, anything else) in Des Moines or Vienna or Saskatchewan. For whatever its quality might be as a piano-cum-piano, I believe Steinway’s ubiquity on the concert stage may be due largely to its brutal contractual agreements with performers. My sport in college was track and field. Athletes under contract to, say, XYZ, may or may not have liked XYZ but had to use its stuff. I’ve seen in major championships sponsored athletes switch to the equipment they preferred and then taped over the logos. A piano analog, I believe. Or perhaps should be. Imagine, taping over the Fazioli decal to retain your Steinway sponsorship!

1978 Chickering Patrician
5 feet 8-1/2 inches (178 cm)
Aeolian-American Corp.
East Rochester, NY
K
kre Offline
K
I attend concerts and piano recitals a lot (well attended before covid), and while most pianos are obviously Steinway D's, there seems to be a small, but comparable number of Faziolis and Bösendorfers used also, and it has increased on recent years. Some concert halls have 2 different instruments (Steinway + something else), at least one has only Bösendorfer and one only Fazioli. I think it is purely a matter of taste which to prefer, they are all on the same level.

I
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
I
The last time I looked (it has been a few years), the Chicago Symphony had both New York and Hamburg Ds. Thank you Mr. Barenboim!

Larry.

D
D
One thing I noticed in the video is that in this F212, the underside showed at least two features different from the photos on Fazioli's website. First is lack of an additional back brace to the spine (straight side of the rim). The second is a 'treble bell' (paraphrasing Steinway term) that is not seen on the website photo. Did Fazioli change the design?

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
V
V
I agree with you. The Sauter Delta 185 or Omega 220 are manufactured at the exactly high standard and finesse as the Steinway Hamburg or Fazioli. They do not have the same sound as the one of the Steinway or Fazioli. But the sound is quite enjoyable and it is a matter of personal preference too. One does not have to pay a fortune to have a good piano sound.

VuongMinh Duc
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Vuong
I agree with you. The Sauter Delta 185 or Omega 220 are manufactured at the exactly high standard and finesse as the Steinway Hamburg or Fazioli. They do not have the same sound as the one of the Steinway or Fazioli. But the sound is quite enjoyable and it is a matter of personal preference too. One does not have to pay a fortune to have a good piano sound.

I will add to that, just because it is more expensive it is not necessarily better. (Diminishing returns, anyone?)

An individual sound is a good thing. The last thing we want is for all high end pianos to sound the same!

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
2006 August Forster 215
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Completed My 42 Week Pandemic Teaching Project
by tonystride - 06/22/21 03:41 PM
Kawai NV5 Users Group
by JBishop - 06/22/21 03:28 PM
Vax77 Folding Piano Review 2021
by AlphaTerminus - 06/22/21 01:12 PM
Recording an upright using ORTF?
by Beemer - 06/22/21 11:46 AM
Caution with cheap SSDs
by newer player - 06/22/21 11:08 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,655
Posts3,106,285
Members101,884
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission