2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
109 members (36251, An Old Square, almo82, apianostudent, anotherscott, accordeur, Animisha, 19 invisible), 800 guests, and 453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Piano tuner came to tune and check buzzing sound notes. He checked several things and said it's probably string problem and worth to try to replace one note.
Then said he never seen this kind of blackish string before and wondering if the color is the result of oxidated or original.

There are around five notes that make buzzing sound.
I am wondering if this string color is normal for Yamaha C3? He said string color for other grand piano was shining silver color.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I can't really tell much from the pictures, Tony, but the plain wire strings should be a bright shiny color. Any darker colored wire or tarnished colored could be due to age or moisture exposure or someone touching the strings with their bare hands.

If it is any consolation, a bit of rubbing/burnishing with 0000 steel wool will clean the plain wire strings up a bit and restore some gloss.

All the plain wire strings will get some spotty oxidation over time. But it usually doesn't affect the sound. I have heard of brand new piano wire with false beats having to be replaced.

Also, it sounds like your tech is not 100% sure what to do about the buzzing sound, and is willing to try replacing some of the strings to rectify the situation. If it works, great, if not, keep trying.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
T
OP Offline
T
I searched other Yamaha grand string and found 2003 made Yanaha A1 and 2005 made C7 has same blackish color string. My one is made in 1996. Isn't your C7 haa silver shiny color string? It's maybe Yamaha use different string for later model?

This photo is 2005 made C7 strings.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by tony3304; 03/29/21 10:45 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
He also said these kind of problem won't be covered by warranty. He was almost certain this buzzing problem caused by string. I really hope this issue can be resolved by replacing string

B
BDB Offline
B
Most of the time, "buzzing" is a voicing issue.

Semipro Tech
K
K
It’s hard to tell from the photos whether the strings are excessively black. Wires discolor and possibly rust depending on the environment it’s been exposed to. I have actually seen a c3 from mid90s with darker strings due to oxidation.

K
kre Offline
K
I have watched the hunt for C3 buzzing noise twice (different instruments). First time it was a loose screw and washer holding the action together (it was taken apart by technician earlier). Second time it was a loose bolt holding one of the legs in place.

Online Content
Originally Posted by tony3304
I searched other Yamaha grand string and found 2003 made Yanaha A1 and 2005 made C7 has same blackish color string. My one is made in 1996. Isn't your C7 haa silver shiny color string? It's maybe Yamaha use different string for later model?

This photo is 2005 made C7 strings.
[Linked Image]

Yes, the plain wire strings on my Yamaha C7 (ca. 1978) are shiny and bright. There may be a small spot or two here and there that is darker from oxidation. When I first bought the C7 around 2010 (?) the plain wire strings looked newish. I honestly thought the piano had been rebuilt in the past, but was told by a highly reputable concert tech that it was all original, though in excellent condition.

As for Yamaha using a different color plain wire string on different year model grand pianos, I suppose anything is possible, but I thought all plain steel (non-wound) piano wire was the same color/appearance, which is a bright steel color. I could be wrong.

I think subtle buzzes on acoustic pianos can be unpredictable, hard to find/correct, and even defy logic at times.

I hope changing out the strings on those buzzy notes corrects the buzz.

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Online Content
Before having the tech replace some strings, it might be a good idea to get a second opinion.

Online Content
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Before having the tech replace some strings, it might be a good idea to get a second opinion.

+1

Also, another thought occurred to me; if Tony is worried about the color or the plain wire steel strings on his C3, the new strings will likely be brighter/glossier/shiner than the old ones. But if it fixes the buzz, it is what needs to be done, I suppose.

Rick

T
OP Offline
T
What I am worrying about is that if the blackish colour is caused by oxidation and if it caused buzzed sound, possibly it will cause other strings buzzed in near future.

I am confused if the dealer hide the wire oxidated intentionally or if it's original color or he didn't tell bcuz it doesn't affect the sound.

I expected this piano would be great decision but I am not sure if I am too sensitive about used piano that other people don't complain.

The piano tuner(not dealer) visited today said this kind of issue will not be covered by warranty.

T
OP Offline
T
I searched several newer model of Yamaha grand. It seems like new model have blackish strings.

Below is Yamaha C3X
[Linked Image]

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Tony3304 - why not ask your question on the Piano Technician forum? Just my guess but the Forum techs have certainly seen Yamaha string oxidation and are quite knowledgeable about troubleshooting buzzing noises.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
I'd ask Yamaha.

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
I'd ask Yamaha.

Even better.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
I'd ask Yamaha.

Even better.

As it was a pre-owned piano, discuss with the tech that inspected it (if an inspection was done)

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I would not have a string removed at least until the weather is warmer , and indoor heating is turned off .Pianos can be strange creatures and they change with the seasons. Your piano is still settling in its new home.
I think your perception of sound is very sensitive which complicates everything. From what I remember the piano you bought is a used piano. I say this because I think with a new piano you probably would definitely not need to have a string changed.( just in case you have a new C Yamaha)
I have read something on the "technicians forum" that sometimes if the technician "winds up the ends" of an offending string it may cure the problem.

Another reason I would not just have the string changed is that the new string may have a slightly different colour (timbre) to the other strings. Of course it will be more shiny as well.

N
N
Hi what year again is your C3? I just recently sold my C3 in pristine condition. I can send you photos / videos of mine to help you compare. DM me.

Yamaha C3X SH <=Yamaha C3 PE <= Yamaha AvantGrand N2 <= Yamaha CLP-645 <= Yamaha P-140s
T
OP Offline
T
Oh thanks. The dealer replied to my email that he will check out when he comes to my town but he doesn't know when to visit yet.
He recommended that don't change the string yet as it might cause other problem.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
He recommended that don't change the string yet as it might cause other problem.

I was literally going to post this exact comment! I think replacing the string should be your very last option.

Am I remembering correctly that you're hearing buzzing from one note in particular? Unless that string is colored/discolored visibly differently from the other strings, I wouldn't think it would be the string that's the source of the problem.

When I got my Petrof (upright, used) there were lots of weird buzzes and problems that sort of came up little by little as the piano adjusted to its new environment -- namely, my house, which I think was much better climate controlled than the its previous location. My tuner at the time couldn't hear all the noises I could hear, but over a few visits, just during my usual tunings, I would tell him what I heard and where, and we (well, mostly him) would poke around the piano. Little by little, he was able to resolve each issue, even the ones he couldn't hear. And none of them were "replace a string" type issues. Things were lose here and there, and the piano adjusted over time. After a few visits (again just regular tunings) everything was resolved and the piano was fine until I sold it to upgrade.

In the meantime, I played on the piano as normal and mostly ignore the buzzes until we got them all worked out.

I hope you're still able to enjoy your piano?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High end speaker v.s. a real sound board
by NavH - 01/20/22 10:33 AM
VST? Get an external DAC.
by Bruce In Philly - 01/20/22 10:19 AM
Vertigo, Pianos, and Earbud Speakers
by ClsscLib - 01/20/22 10:07 AM
Welcome New Members!
by Piano World - 01/20/22 09:53 AM
Memorization: Corea vs. Zhdanov
by Emery Wang - 01/20/22 09:03 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,259
Posts3,162,473
Members104,096
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission