2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
29 members (CyberGene, DPAfficionado, AlphaBravoCharlie, David B, djvu10, FloRi89, Evgeny 85, brennbaer, 7 invisible), 795 guests, and 473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Duplex Schmuplex! In most domestic situations it isn't that helpful to have duplex, although many pianos over a certain size have it.

My thoughts here are that a 35 year old piano isn't as good as a new piano, but that a 6'9 is better than a 5'5.

Usually, with the Japanese pianos especially, newer is better, but not always. Some of these 80s pianos can turn out to be incredible. Depends on the condition.

(trudges back off to the practice room to hack out Bach's French Overture on a 1985 Yamaha G2....)

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Rick.

Paul
Hey Paul8840,

Keep your wife in mind above all. A happy wife is a happy household. Besides, she deserves to get something nice too : ) You'll regret it if you don't.

That said, considering everything you've said, I think a good compromise would be a good call.

Perhaps either the K300, K500, GL10, or GL20 as well as $10K into the Master Bath for your wife would be a great idea - even if it doesn't immediately give her everything she wants done to it at once.

Many music stores will allow you to trade in a piano you bought for the full value paid at their store if you should decide to get a better piano in a few years. However, there is sometimes a time limit on how soon you have to trade it in. So, read the fine print where ever you consider buying it.

It's very easy to get enticed to max out your budget or even go a little beyond with all the excitement and information overload. I understand. And I can totally understand your wanting to upgrade to some kind of acoustic. It makes perfect sense.

Perhaps you might wait a while and keep playing those models in the store. Let your subconscious process all the new info for a while before you buy. Resist the temptation to play models out of your price range.

If you go with used, make darn sure you bring a tech with you.

Best of luck. Looking forward to hear more about the process.

Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
P
OP Offline
P
Stormbringer

I decided I definately want a grand as opposed to an upright. Apparently there is either an overwelming demand or a problem in Indoesia because last report was that incoming GL20s would not be coming until mid summer at the earliest.

Paul
Paul8840,

Yes, my first choice would be a grand as well. They look nicer and generally have better action. Sorry to hear about the delay with the GL20 pianos. One of my favorites is Kawai. Love the Millennium III action. The whole series except the GL10 has full duplex, which some people don't care about but others do.

The GL series offers a lot of bang for the buck. The GL10 is very nice for the price. The GL20 is only about $3k more, so it seems worth the small bit of extra money. The GL30 costs $10k more than the GL20, so maybe not quite as good of a deal.

I like to find the sweet spot with the small uptick in price - right before a the first big uptick. Seems like you found the same sweet spot since you zeroed in on the GL20.

I'm seeing conflicting information on where the GL20 is made. In an undated article on PianoBuyer.com, it is stated that the GL20 is made in Indonesia. Could be an older article. At PianoPricePoint.com, it says made in Japan. That could be a mistake. Not sure which source to believe. I also noticed that on the GL20 page on the KawaiUS site, it doesn't even say where the GL20 is made. I also checked the GL series brochure - nothing for any of the GL models, weird.

Maybe you could call KawaiUS.com or email them and ask where they are made or anything else you are wondering about.

Let me know what you find out,

Stormbringer

P
OP Offline
P
Stormbringer

My understanding is that the GL20 is now made in Indonesia along with the GL10. All of the others are made in Japan which helps explain the price jump between the GL20 and GL30.

Paul
Paul8840,

The most likely reason, yes.

So, what to do with the long wait until mid Summer or later? Have you tried the Essex EGP173 Grand Piano? It's made in China rather than Indonesia though. But it's 5 inches longer and about $1k less. Not sure which place has a worse reputation regarding quality control. I understand if you're stuck on Kawai. I think very highly of that company when it comes to their acoustic pianos.

Here's the link for the

Essex

Let me know what you think.

Stormbringer

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks all for your input. I played the GL30 again and really enjoyed it. I decided I was more comfortable with a new piano that I liked than a 35 year old piano that I also liked. The GL30 also will fit nicely in my living room. I was able to get a good price on a GL30 that a local store had in stock and am really looking forward to it arriving. Hopefully I’ll learn how to post a picture here so I can share it with you all when it arrives.

Paul
W
W
Congratulations on your new piano purchase, Puul8840. In that segment of the piano market I think you are making a very wise choice. Hope you enjoy your Kawai as much as I enjoy mine.

Wes

Wes Lachot Design Group
www.weslachot.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That’s wonderful, a very nice choice! Enjoy the GL30, it has a lovely action. 💕😊

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
Paul,

Great that you got the GL30. Hey, made in Japan, full duplex, 3" longer than the GL20, longer strings, bigger soundboard, better sound. Plus you don't have to wait until mid Summer+. Happy for you!

Yeah, let me know when it arrives and what you think once you get it and play it for a day or two. To post a pic, you can upload the pic to a different site and then link to it from the full editor. I don't see any option to just upload the pic straight to the forum, but maybe someone here knows something I don't.

Stormbringer

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stormbringer
Paul,

Great that you got the GL30. Hey, made in Japan, full duplex, 3" longer than the GL20, longer strings, bigger soundboard, better sound. Plus you don't have to wait until mid Summer+. Happy for you!

I'm happy for you too. Congrats !!

Funny thing, I can remember back 60 years ago when "made in Japan" was not an indication of good quality. Amazing how the world changes. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your new Kawai GL 30!

D
D
On the question of where the GL20 is made... Apparently the ones sold in Canada are made in Japan, and the ones sold in the U.S. are made in Indonesia.

https://kawaius.com/faqs/

Where Are Kawai Grand Pianos Made?

With only a few exceptions, all Kawai acoustic grand pianos are made in Kawai’s renowned Ryuyo Piano Factory located near Hamamatsu, Japan. The Ryuyo factory is one of the most advanced piano-building facilities of its kind. It combines the values of “old world craftsmanship” and “leading-edge technology” to create instruments of exceptional quality that provide the best of both worlds. The entire GX Series Performance Grands and the GL Series’ GL-50, GL-40, GL-30 and GL-20 (Canada Market) models are built at the Ryuyo facility. The 5’ GL-10 and 5’2” GL-20 (US market) are the only grand pianos built at Kawai’s Karawan factory in Indonesia. The Karawan plant was designed to replicate perfectly the philosophy, culture and technologies of the famed Ryuyo Factory. Because these attributes of fine craftsmanship have been successfully reproduced at Karawan, the Kawai GL-10 and GL-20 have become two of the best-selling grand pianos in the world.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks all. The ne GL30 arrived yesterday and it sounds and looks great in our living room. Not quite sure how to get the pictures in this post...

http://forum.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/full/14744.jpg
http://forum.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/full/14743.jpg

Paul
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congrats! It looks as good as it (likely) sounds!

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
J
J
IS the bench in your picture the matching bench came with the purchase?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Looks just like the bench that came with my GL10, so I'd say yes.

Congratulations Paul, that's a sweet piano.

Last edited by Emery Wang; 03/31/21 05:05 PM.

Daily driver: Yamaha Avantgrand N1
First crush: Kawai GL10, MP11SE
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Congratulations on your new Kawai GL30! I wish you many years of enjoyment with it!

Beautiful piano/music room also! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Very Nice! Congratulations and enjoy your new piano.

David

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Trying to identify the maker of my old piano
by PianoLover90 - 06/24/21 11:30 PM
Haunted Piano !?!
by Retsacnal - 06/24/21 07:34 PM
Do you have this problem with Steinway?
by RonaldSteinway - 06/24/21 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,690
Posts3,107,053
Members101,897
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission