2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (AlphaTerminus, Alex Hutor, Andrew E., BarbaraRose, apianostudent, 16 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 714 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
OP Offline
T
This buzzing noise happens on G3, G3#, A,A#.

G3# is most serious and neighboiring notes are weaker. I refastened all the screws on top lid hinge and put hands on neigbouring string but it didn't stop.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Damper not seating well?

D
D
I'm not a tech but i've dealt with some buzzes in a new piano recently. It could be probably by a handful of things but you'll need a tech (or possibly a couple techs if it's difficult) to try to pinpoint the issue. It's really impossible to tell the quality of a buzz via a recorded video, much less trace where it's coming from. One of my buzzes seems to be a fairly minor string buzz, possibly related to how the string passes over the bridge. But I haven't had anyone resolve it yet unfortunately. Thankfully it's minor. Other buzzes i've resolved were a light fixture resonating above my head. Another buzz I had that only rears its head when the tuning is in a particular tension is a duplex buzz on the side closes to the tuning pins. That one is resolved by careful tuning and possibly a bit of felt jammed under the v bar. Anyway, buzzes are my least favorite part of owning a piano but with some patience and help you can probably lessen or eliminate it.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hi Tony,

The unisons on that note are slightly out of tune, not bad, but not pure either. I hear the buzz you mentioned. This is just a suggestion, but I'd have your dealer/tech fine tune that unison (pure, as perfect as possible) and if that doesn't eliminate the buzz, I'd start looking elsewhere.

I had a buzz on a few isolated notes once and it turned out to be the lock mechanism in the front of the piano, above the fallboard. It could be a lot of things, a loose screw, etc...

You paid a premium price for the piano, so I'd call the dealer and let them try to solve the problem.

Seems like our OCD can cause us a lot of grief when it comes to pianos and perfection... smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Online Content
Originally Posted by gwing
Damper not seating well?

It is possible, I suppose, but the buzz I hear in the video occurs when the note is played and held down, so the damper would not come into play when the buzz is sounding. But I'm just speculating.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
T
OP Offline
T
Hi Rickster, unfortunately he lives 462km away from me where cross the sea. I called technician for tuning and voicing. I am not sure if he can solve this problem. As I had bad memory that another Kawai certified technician who was Kawai Australia handpicked , ruined hammer by lots of needling, I am little concerned if those kind of things happen again. The guy coming on Tues has 45 yrs experience but never met before.
Through my experience, noise problem was never solved. The one noise problem was solved by me that I found noise came from pedal.

T
OP Offline
T
I damped all neighbouring strings with damper felt but it didn't stop

Last edited by tony3304; 03/26/21 10:49 AM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by tony3304
Hi Rickster, unfortunately he lives 462km away from me where cross the sea. I called technician for tuning and voicing. I am not sure if he can solve this problem. As I had bad memory that another Kawai certified technician who was Kawai Australia handpicked , ruined hammer by lots of needling, I am little concerned if those kind of things happen again. The guy coming on Tues has 45 yrs experience but never met before.
Through my experience, noise problem was never solved. The one noise problem was solved by me that I found noise came from pedal.

I'm only the technician for my own pianos, and I'm no pro, but I don't think your bussing noise is due to hammer voicing, but I could be wrong. Whatever it is, I don't think it is a serious problem and can easily be solved by the right technician.

Just try to be patient and focus on the good things regarding your piano, until the tech can get there.

Good luck!

Rick

Online Content
Tony, didn't you say the dealer said there was a buzz he had fix on that piano when he was doing the prep work when you bought the piano? Perhaps you could call him and ask him what he did to fix the buzz. Maybe whatever he did has reoccurred. Just a thought...

Rick

T
OP Offline
T
I mentioned the buzzing sound when he finished first tuning about a month ago but I thought it's small problem and it was late night, so he couldn't fix that. I am going to ask him if I can get any tip for that.

Online Content
I know this might sound crazy - could there be a paper clip fallen thru to the soundboard?
just a thought

Emerson Upright (1920's)
Westbrook Spinet (1969)
Schomacker Model A (1912)
Steinway Model A (1912)
T
OP Offline
T
I already checked soundboard but nothing was on there

Online Content
I mentioned the buzzing sound when he finished first tuning about a month ago but I thought it's small problem and it was late night, so he couldn't fix that. I am going to ask him if I can get any tip for that.

Sometimes it is good to have two people when trying to isolate a minut buzz like that, one to play the note and another to start probing and strategically touching various screws, assemblies, and components, to try and find the cause of the buzz. But you have to be careful what you touch and how you touch it; hence, it is best to have a tech there to do the probing.

Chances are, however, you can play the piano as you normally would and ignore the buzz until the tech gets there. (Not an easy thing, I know.)

On the other hand, it is not unheard of for an annoying buzz to disappear on its own...

Good luck!

Rick

T
OP Offline
T
I believed those kind of noise only happen from used piano but after trying several brand new pianos , none of them was free from the weired noise , false beat. So there was no good reason to buy new piano.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I damped all neighbouring strings with damper felt but it didn't stop

Did you try damping duplexes? I don't know the piano, but if it has undamped duplexes that may be where the problem is coming from.

Larry.

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks but it's damped

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't hear any buzzing. Must be my speakers. But if I turn up my subwoofer, that action is as noisy as all get out! laugh

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
T
OP Offline
T
For me, the buzzing sound is like someone cut iron bar with electric saw

Online Content
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
I don't hear any buzzing. Must be my speakers. But if I turn up my subwoofer, that action is as noisy as all get out! laugh

I can definitely hear the buzz, while the note is being sustained with the key held down. It is distinct from the actual tone/timber of the note itself. It is subtle though.

Also, it has been my experience that all piano actions are noisy, if the note is played very slowly, and you put your ear up really close to the key. But the noise is negligible while playing normally.

Rick

Online Content
I think too the unisons are out of tune, just slightly.

If I was the OP, which appears to be sensitive to these kind of noises, I would get a tuning hammer and some mutes and learn to take care of this myself. An electronic tuning app would be advisable too - just tune each of the unisons, one at a time, to the same frequency.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin L vs. Steinway A
by noyes - 10/26/21 06:08 PM
New Steinway O- Yeti Revelation Scoring Grand
by newer player - 10/26/21 01:54 PM
Difficulty Adjusting to a lighter weight piano
by CoffeeTea21 - 10/26/21 12:57 PM
Non-creaky beginner piano setup?
by cai.linn - 10/26/21 12:56 PM
Upright Dampers - thin wood backing
by jkess114 - 10/26/21 12:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,756
Posts3,142,212
Members103,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission