2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (Bostonmoores, accordeur, brdwyguy, brennbaer, august112, Brendan, 36251, 15 invisible), 1,299 guests, and 520 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
So, I decided tonight that tomorrow I’ll start learning the scale of a-flat from Alfred’s book.

But I thought I’d guess at the fingering and I think I figured it out.

But, I’m right handed and without even thinking about it, I was practicing the scale with my left hand.

Is that odd, or is it fairly common once you’ve been using your left hand?

It just amuses me that I didn’t automatically use my right hand.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Did the scale start in the bass? If so, it would be normal for your LH to automatically play the notes as they would be closest to the left side of your body.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
E
E
Scales that start on black notes are ergonomically "better" in the left hand. Maybe that's the reason why you chose the left hand. If I teach someone scales, I let them start those with the left hand, because it's easier.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by risusSardonicus
But I thought I’d guess at the fingering and I think I figured it out.
Here comes some unsollicited advice. I don't think it is very wise to guess or figure out the fingering of scales. Instead, find out with what note you should play with which finger and learn that. The fingering of scales is rather similar, and this pattern helps you when you learn new scales.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
As I have a practiced piano over the years and specifically spent a decent bit of time doing various technique exercises with my left hand only in an effort to strengthen it (which seems to have been fairly successful), I find myself using my non-dominant hand much more in everyday life. So, no, I don't think it is odd at all.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
I was born LH dominant, but from years of playing the piano, the only thing I do now with my left hand is write. Everything else is right handed

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
My dominant right hand is stronger through a lifetime of uses, playing twenty years of hard tennis among them. The left hand, however, is more flexible and articulate at the piano. Generally speaking either hand is capable of doing instant duty anywhere during improvisation and I retain no fixed fingering or starting notes for scalar passages. On the Virgil Practice Clavier I have acquired the entrenched habit of working any formation together with its symmetric reflection about D or Ab, usually hands separate, as people such as Hamelin and Corea have suggested. Physically it gives good results but piano sound is decidedly unsymmetrical in effect so the jury is still out for me as to its musical benefit. The rhythmic and haptic interaction between the hands I find to be extremely complicated and do not as yet understand what is going on.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Originally Posted by ErfurtBob
Scales that start on black notes are ergonomically "better" in the left hand. Maybe that's the reason why you chose the left hand. If I teach someone scales, I let them start those with the left hand, because it's easier.

Yesterday I was looking up the fingering for B flat harmonic minor on the web. I got confused as the RH started off on the video but I was playing LH. It seems I rarely have to check on the RH fingerings but I forget the same LH ones each cycle.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Ted
My dominant right hand is stronger through a lifetime of uses, playing twenty years of hard tennis among them. The left hand, however, is more flexible and articulate at the piano.
This is a very interesting observation. I never thought it's possible.

From my experience I can say that despite playing much with my non-dominant left hand alone for years because of serious trauma to my right hand, including playing very advanced material, my left hand still doesn't match my dominant right hand in terms of maximum speed, strength, flexibility and sensitivity.

When I touch objects with fine texture with the fingertips of my right hand it seems to me that I get more tactile information than when I'm doing it with my left hand. It feels like the tactile information coming from my left hand is less vivid and kind of more "distant". May I ask you and others if you feel the same?

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Originally Posted by Ted
My dominant right hand is stronger through a lifetime of uses, playing twenty years of hard tennis among them. The left hand, however, is more flexible and articulate at the piano.
This is a very interesting observation. I never thought it's possible.

From my experience I can say that despite playing much with my non-dominant left hand alone for years because of serious trauma to my right hand, including playing very advanced material, my left hand still doesn't match my dominant right hand in terms of maximum speed, strength, flexibility and sensitivity.

When I touch objects with fine texture with the fingertips of my right hand it seems to me that I get more tactile information than when I'm doing it with my left hand. It feels like the tactile information coming from my left hand is less vivid and kind of more "distant". May I ask you and others if you feel the same?
I am right hand dominant and my experience bears some similarity to Ted's. I have greater reach and more flexibility with my left hand, though my right hand is still stronger and faster. I attribute this greater flexibility in my left hand to many years of wear and tear on my right (dominant) hand that my left hand never had to endure.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I am left-handed but my right hand can play passages at a higher tempo and with more control than my left hand. I attribute that to the piano repertoire which demands more from the RH than from the LH. When you think about what your dominant hand has been doing more than your non-dominant hand over a lifetime, it’s gripping, eating, writing, pushing, pulling, swinging and other larger motions, not fine motor dexterity required to play piano. Some people think that as a left-hander I have some kind of advantage at the keyboard, but I say we have all been playing the same pieces so I don’t see any advantage there.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev

I notice no difference in tactile information.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
L
L
Certain things fall more comfortably for one hand or the other. I think Ab major is one of those scales that just sits better in the left hand. I do an unusual thing in the right hand that is the result of practicing five finger scales and sometimes play the beginning notes with fingers 12345 in the right hand to avoid having three shifts of hand position in a single octave.

It's interesting to see the comments on the thread. I am right hand dominant, but I found last year that my left hand was more adaptable to playing without tension than the right--I think in part because over the course of my lifetime my right hand has become so hardwired to doing so many things that it's more difficult to get down to basic movements and build the hand back up without tension. My left hand is now better than my right at a lot of things (jumps, 4-5 trills, double notes, counterpoint, octaves and chords), and I've found myself doing more things with my left hand, to the point where I'm virtually ambidextrous now.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
I was born LH dominant, but that has completely changed to be RH dominant over the years. The only LH thing is writing. I have no explanation as it has been gradual other than playing the piano which has so much that requires RH facility. Would the piano lead to a change? I have no idea.

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by dogperson
I was born LH dominant, but that has completely changed to be RH dominant over the years. The only LH thing is writing. I have no explanation as it has been gradual other than playing the piano which has so much that requires RH facility. Would the piano lead to a change? I have no idea.

Not for me. After all these years I'm still a "Lefty" in most things besides piano. My right hand seems more relaxed for runs, trill too. I have to warm up my left hand. I think it is because of the type of work I have done most of my life.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

To add my LH does have more tactile feel. Always has, especially the fingertips. I played trumpet for 6 years in school and my three right fingers that were used for the trumpet still to this day are faster in that motion then my left hand fingers.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
I am left handed. When I restarted my piano doctor's most common diagnosis was the left hand is too loud and my old music is covered with LHS, RHL notes. 6 years later, whenever I encounter a passage with the melody in the LH, I just cannot de-program myself and play the LH loudly. At least not without two weeks of intentional pratice.

Last edited by tbonesays; 03/30/21 04:55 AM.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Effect of volume on experience of action
by op299 - 10/17/21 04:35 AM
A la recherche du Pete14 perdu
by Fleer - 10/16/21 11:57 PM
Jazz piano chord progression Mary did you know
by Nicepianoman39 - 10/16/21 10:17 PM
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,627
Posts3,140,257
Members103,028
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission