2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Jojovan Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by Jojovan
Originally Posted by BruceD
I have a ductless mini-split system, with two indoor units. In both units the default setting of the direction of air flow is both up and down and from side to side (interior louvers control the direction of air flow) to give maximum air flow throughout the area. In my system, also, the direction of the air flow can be fixed to blow in one direction only. In the master bedroom, for example, the air flow is set to flow outward towards the far side of the room only, no up and down flow and no side to side flow. In the family room/kitchen it is set to blow both up and down and from side to side. Those settings are my choice and easily done from the system's remote.

I would assume that the OP's system also has those options, so the air flow could be directed in one direction without minimizing the amount of air coming into the room.

Regards,

Mine is mitsubishi starmex ^^

Mitsubishi is a very good brand. There is a large Mitsubishi HVAC manufacturing facility here in Georgia, near Atlanta/Marietta. One of my co-instructors at the Technical College where I taught HVACR for 26 years worked there and would give special training classes at the college on the ductless mini-split systems, because they are so different from what we know as traditional HVAC systems.

I would say that most HVAC service techs here in the US, who have been trained on traditional HVAC systems, may not have the proper skills needed to service and repair the ductless mini-splits. On the other hand, they are very reliable and rarely break down, but nothing is infallible.

If you can adjust the direction of the airflow on your mini-split air handler unit in your piano room by making adjustments using the remote control, or moving the internal louvers inside the the unit itself, that would likely solve your problem. I will add, however, those units are so technologically sophisticated and computerized, I would not recommend any manual alteration of the units function, other than with the unit itself. That air handler has to breath, in that it has a return inlet and a supply outlet. If you do install any kind of diverter, make sure it doesn't affect the units operation or block the airflow in any way.

All the best!

Rick

Thanks for your insight~ i will just use the remote and louvers as u shared.

Subcribe my youtube channel for incoming LIVE piano with Vocal.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCfZgIIQ_P_iHfdHlQCF9tqA

God bless you and take care
Jojovan Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by David-G
Jojovan, can I ask you - do you run the aircon unit all the time, or is it only on at particular times?

On particular timing only, not all day. ^^

Subcribe my youtube channel for incoming LIVE piano with Vocal.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCfZgIIQ_P_iHfdHlQCF9tqA

God bless you and take care
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Jojovan, can I ask you - do you run the aircon unit all the time, or is it only on at particular times?

I set one of my units on auto with a set temperature on the remote so that the unit cycles on and off as required to keep the temperature constant.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Jojovan, I am concerned about another potential problem here. Singapore is hot and humid, so presumably when you don't run the aircon unit it will be hot and humid in the apartment. The aircon not only cools the air, it also extracts water vapour and so lowers the humidity. Therefore, it seems to me that you will have continual substantial variations of humidity when you turn the unit on and off - which is exactly what pianos don't like. It may be of course that the humidity variations are too small to cause concern - or that the on/off periods are too short for the wood in the piano to acquire or release much moisture. But I thought I should flag up a concern, and hopefully other people will comment on this aspect.

Perhaps a Dampp Chaser would help to address this problem.

Jojovan, I am concerned about another potential problem here. Singapore is hot and humid, so presumably when you don't run the aircon unit it will be hot and humid in the apartment. The aircon not only cools the air, it also extracts water vapour and so lowers the humidity. Therefore, it seems to me that you will have continual substantial variations of humidity when you turn the unit on and off - which is exactly what pianos don't like. It may be of course that the humidity variations are too small to cause concern - or that the on/off periods are too short for the wood in the piano to acquire or release much moisture. But I thought I should flag up a concern, and hopefully other people will comment on this aspect.

Perhaps a Dampp Chaser would help to address this problem.

Good point, David. However, Jojovan said in their first post the piano already had a heater bar inside. At least that is how I interpreted what they said. That would help during high humidity events. But yea, it is best to leave the A/C on all the time during hot and humid weather.

If they turn the unit off when they play the piano, I guess it depends on how long and often they play.

If due to inevitable reason that a piano (already have the heater inside) have to face the aircon vent, besides
1) turning the vent direction away
2) lowering the wind speed
3) lower the frequency of switching on the aircon

How would you further advise to protect the piano? E.g buying any device or special cover for piano helps?

Thanks

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
D
D
I have a ductless mini-split high above my piano. I have it adjusted so the airflow blows out up along the ceiling, the cold air eventually falling down into the room well past the position of the piano. There really was no alternative to this arrangement. My technician feels that it will not be an issue since the airflow is not directly on the piano. It is far better than my old arrangement, with an evaporative cooler, which caused large humidity swings at times.

Dave In Denver
1916 Weber FR 6' Duo Art
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission