2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
After playing the piano for 3 years, I started composing my very first piano piece:
Saturday Night Waltz - G. W. Rothuizen

Credits to my friend Emily for co-creating our first piece on some nice Saturday nights just before curfew.

Please, enjoy and all tips are welcome!

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Really great job! Watch that you maintain the waltz rhythm even if a gentle 1-2-3 with a slight accent (almost a sway) in the first beat. Watch a couple of waltz videos and you will get the idea

I’m impressed 🎹

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by dogperson
Really great job! Watch that you maintain the waltz rhythm even if a gentle 1-2-3 with a slight accent (almost a sway) in the first beat. Watch a couple of waltz videos and you will get the idea

I’m impressed 🎹

Thank you @dogperson! I am still a beginner and still learning... So thanks for the honest feedback.
There are waltzes for the body and waltzes for the soul ~ Frederic Chopin wink

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by ContentPiano

I’m impressed 🎹

Thank you @dogperson! I am still a beginner and still learning... So thanks for the honest feedback.
There are waltzes for the body and waltzes for the soul ~ Frederic Chopin wink

Waltzes for the soul still need to sway like waltzes for the body ~ Frederic Chopin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice piece, but I wouldn't call it a waltz. Has more of an Album Leaf feel to it. like the major piece is next.

-chris

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
CP:

Since you cross-posted in two forums, I posted this in response to your post in the ABF:

I think that there are some themes or motifs that could be made into interesting compositions. I do think that the various parts of your "Saturday Night Waltz" are
1) not all in a waltz (3/4) tempo; there are some definite 4/4 sections, and there are points in the 3/4 sections where the tempo is not maintained. I wonder if
2) the sections are too disparate, too different in mood and texture to be part of the same composition; perhaps because they are not all in waltz time. Contrast is good, of course, but somehow certain sections don't seem to relate to others.

All that said, this is just one listener's opinion, and there are germs of some good thematic material here.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by BruceD
CP:

Since you cross-posted in two forums, I posted this in response to your post in the ABF:

I think that there are some themes or motifs that could be made into interesting compositions. I do think that the various parts of your "Saturday Night Waltz" are
1) not all in a waltz (3/4) tempo; there are some definite 4/4 sections, and there are points in the 3/4 sections where the tempo is not maintained. I wonder if
2) the sections are too disparate, too different in mood and texture to be part of the same composition; perhaps because they are not all in waltz time. Contrast is good, of course, but somehow certain sections don't seem to relate to others.

All that said, this is just one listener's opinion, and there are germs of some good thematic material here.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Thanks for your honest opinion. I can relate to what you are saying. Nevertheless, I am very satisfied with the work, I did as a first composition. Therefore, all tips are welcome and I will definitely take them with me next time.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by BruceD
CP:

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Thanks for your honest opinion. I can relate to what you are saying. Nevertheless, I am very satisfied with the work, I did as a first composition. Therefore, all tips are welcome and I will definitely take them with me next time.

Yes, it is quite good as a first composition, but we had hoped you would want to spiff it up. You will find that even great composers continued to refine their compositions—

C
OP Offline
C
Yes, it is quite good as a first composition, but we had hoped you would want to spiff it up. You will find that even great composers continued to refine their compositions—

That is a great point actually. I am already diving into it! Thanks again for the feedback!

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

That is a great point actually. I am already diving into it! Thanks again for the feedback!

Good for you! I’m excited to hear the updated version

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
If that is really your first effort it is very good and suggests you might do well to spend more time in the creative directions of composition and improvisation .

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
E
E
I like your touch when playing the piano. It works very naturally. Watch the rhythm, it's a little too free sometimes for my taste. I won't comment the composition, I'm no expert. I'll just say that I've heard things from experienced composers that I like less. Keep it going!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's very good for a first piece. My first efforts, granted that they happened at age 12-13, but still - were noticeably worse. Some thoughts I had from both a compositional and pianistic standpoint:

1) Play around with harmonies a bit more. The little progressions you had going on sounded interesting, and felt like they want to continue and evolve, but you don't let them.
2) A waltz should maintain the 3/4 feel the whole time. The middle section would automatically make more sense then.
3) The ritenutos in the middle section felt unnecessary; they stopped the music from flowing.
4) The beginning felt slightly awkward rhythmically - i'm not sure if this is due to bad choices in writing, or problems with playing.
5) It ended abruptly, as if it was missing a few measures. If you're done writing something, or are in the process of writing, play it through in your head, and try to imagine if it should continue a little bit more or not. The form has to make sense.
6) You're over-pedalling, be careful with that
7) Keep writing and listening to a lot of music!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission