2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
I am asking as a student. My lessons are from 8-9pm, but my teacher cancels a lot. I wonder if maybe my lesson hours are unreasonably late? How late do you guys typically work? I was thinking since my lessons are online anyway, maybe I should find a teacher from different time zone.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
The latest I would teach until would be 9:00 pm. Generally, I think most teachers on weekdays would start at 3:30 pm. But with adult students, earlier daytime lessons are common.

The fact that your teacher cancels means you should probably work out a better time with her, perhaps early in the morning.

M
M
It might not be that the exact hour of 8-9pm is *late* but the teacher could be doing something else that occupies the evening. If that's the case, the issue isn't time zone but having something else prioritized in the teacher's life (whether it's other work like a performing gig, family, other personal things) over your scheduled time.

If you otherwise have a good working relationship with this teacher and are satisfied with the education you are receiving, then I would suggest starting a conversation about how frequent cancelling affects you as a student and can you work together to find a solution. Is the teacher going through a season of something that you can be supportive about? Has this been / will it be ongoing and continue to be disruptive to your learning? Is the teacher disorganized, not valuing you as a student, etc. - which likely won't be said directly but you can read/hear between the lines?

K
K
It sounds like they've scheduled a time slot with you that they cannot maintain and that's certainly not your fault. Were it unreasonably late for them, they should have made that clear when you requested that time. I'd find a teacher that values your time and learning.

02JAN2021: Alesis Recital Pro
22FEB2021: Roland LX705
Using flowkey, Alfred's All-in-1 L1, Faber & Sight-Reading Books
Started: JAN2021 - No Prior background in Music or Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would teach teens and adults as late as 9pm, but that has nothing to do with your teacher cancelling a lot. You can suggest perhaps using a new time without getting too intrusive.

There was a point in time where I was cancelling a lot, and it was due to managing my pre-teen at the time and underlying issues which we weren't aware of at the time. But I was close enough with my adult students that I could tell them exactly what the issue was. My point being that it had nothing to do with the timeslot, my students, my load of enrolled students, etc. It was completely unrelated to teaching yet made me seem like a chaotic mess to the unknowing.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Just a thought. I herd cats, er, I mean teach handbells, at 7 PM.

It's a group of mostly older adults, and none of us are mentally sharp or energized at that time, including me. But that's the only time available.

This might be an age thing, and also some people are naturally "larks" vs "owls."

I found this book interesting:
https://www.danpink.com/books/when/

He says we're at our sharpest around 10:00 am and again at 2:00 pm, with the slight difference that we're slightly more intellectual early and creative later.

gotta go practice
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
As a student, I've done a few make up lessons starting at 6:30 or 7:00 pm. My teacher is focused and energetic and even a little more intense than on Saturday afternoon. For me, after a day of work and a session with a private client with autism, I've been none of those things.

Learner
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I’m not a teacher but I prefer having lessons that end at 8:30pm or earlier. Having a job that starts first thing in the morning, by 8pm, 8:30pm, I’m starting to fade mentally. Also, my teacher has mentioned she also doesn’t like to have lessons too late as she’s also tired by then.

Cancelling a lot can be a problem. Consistency is a good thing. However, I do have one teacher that cancels more often than other teachers and that’s due to a family issue which was explained to me clearly and I totally understand, so I’m ok with that teacher cancelling more often.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 03/19/21 06:17 PM.

Kawai K500
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have one day dedicated to home lessons. This day I also organize papers and music and such. This is my stay home day, with lessons at random times.

Three days a week I go to a school. Since Kinder is half-day, one day I begin at 12:30pm, while the other two days I begin at 2:30pm. Typically I am done by 7pm.

My husband works till about 7 or 8pm. We like to prepare dinner together, and share news of our day. I do not make big decisions at night. I would not be good teaching after 8pm.

I teach Zoom or adults or homeschoolers around the school schedule that I do three days a week. I have one student that begins at 8am (professional adult) and others at 9 or 10am, 11am, etc... Some in person, some Zoom.

But, this random schedule and teaching at the school really cuts down on make-up issues, because there is no time open. You pay for Wednesday at 3pm. I have missed twice in the last 10 years- severe medical issue, and a family wedding. (yes, I was the kid, and then the teacher, that gets perfect attendance recognitions)

I have over 25 students.

Fridays I am Free!

If your teacher cancels more than a few times, there is an issue. Can you find a better time, or change teachers?

Learning as I teach.
OP

A teacher in a different time zone could work well.

You don’t say where you’re from so by way of example:

If you were in LA then your 8pm lesson would be 2pm here in Sydney. (2pm the next day but that doesn’t matter.) the teacher should be fresh. It would be 8pm and 11am for NYC.

You would need to adjust for Summer time but it’s very doable.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission