2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (brdwyguy, c++, 8ude, Charles Cohen, brennbaer, Buzz209, 12 invisible), 994 guests, and 494 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I've had tinnitus my entire life. When I was growing up I thought everyone had it. It doesn't really bother me if it's the same in both ears, but sometimes the left ear is worse -usually following loud sounds.

It has been worse in recent months, but the quality of my hearing is still good. The older I get the more I have to look after my hearing. I'm so lucky to be able to manage it.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
R
R
The old analog television receivers had a high voltage flyback transformer that would emit a 15kHz tone. I grew up hearing that all the time while watching TV. Now I hear that tone all the time without a TV.

Kawai VPC1, Pianoteq 7
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Shooting guns for most of my life has caused a consistent high pitch tone in my ears in 6-8kHz range. It's worse in my left ear. I can't hear anything in the 8kHz range until it gets up to 40dB. frown

I really hope it doesn't get worse. It's manageable at this time and I can still hear all the lower/mid range frequencies at low dB.

Protect your hearing. Once it's gone, it doesn't come back.

God bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
Originally Posted by Ralph1
The old analog television receivers had a high voltage flyback transformer that would emit a 15kHz tone. I grew up hearing that all the time while watching TV. Now I hear that tone all the time without a TV.

I wonder if this is the same as the global hum?hmm..

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

I shall be "thankful" for this decent alternative to an upright piano. Hallelujah.
R
R
Originally Posted by meghdad
Originally Posted by Ralph1

I wonder if this is the same as the global hum?hmm..

I think that would be the 50/60 Hz power line frequency.

Kawai VPC1, Pianoteq 7
It's "nice"(?) to know one isn't alone when it comes to hearing "noises" in their head.....I too, along with several other posters have life long tinnitus. It's in both ears from the time I was ~4.5 years old. Around that time I quite ill for several weeks. After recovering my head was full of sound, in Dobly stereo, plus an added bonus in the form of a life long problem with motion sickness.

Until my mid 30's I believed everyone had their own "head music" and was surprised to learn most have silence....complete silence, can't imagine what that is like. The interesting part, my hearing according to several audiologists over the years, has not been affected. However, over time the type and quality of my personal "music" has changed. These days it's a combination of Cycadas, the hummining of high tension hydro wires with a high pitch whinning buzz added.

Does it bother me? Most of the time no, but if I'm coming down with something or am very tired the noise level does increase and can become difficult to ignore. Several years back I had severe food poisoning (hospitalization needed) and the noises were overwhelming for several days. I am very noise sensitive and always have ear plugs with me which I use be it at a movie theatre, the symphonie or a loud (to me) gathering. I'm curious to know how many you are or have become more noise sensitive due to tinnitus.

Lately I noticed a change while playing piano.....it involves only the E, F, G right above middle C, when played seperately and undampened, these notes resonate painfully within my head, but notes played at bass or trebble end aren't problematic ......nothing to do with the piano since it's currently a Kawai CA67. Does anyone else find certain notes problematic for them?

B
B
Tone Deaf, interesting you mention this. I don't have tinnitus but for the last several months or so my ears "flutter" whenever playing the E and Eb above middle C. I've tried it on 3 different digitals and then a couple of recordings on youtube where someone plays (on an acoustical) the same notes -- same effect. I had asked my ENT, who happens to also be a piano player, and he said he has not heard of this but would look into it. That was 3 months ago. Never heard back from him. The sensation in the ears is similar to your ears popping like from an airplane but with very fast oscillations and stops immediately like a switch when I let go of the note. Very weird indeed.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
It was mentioned earlier, I use Musicians earplugs when playing or practising piano, even though mine is a digital and I could just turn it down. It makes a difference because if I forget or am too lazy to reach for them, my tinnitus increases.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btcomm
Tone Deaf, interesting you mention this. I don't have tinnitus but for the last several months or so my ears "flutter" whenever playing the E and Eb above middle C. I've tried it on 3 different digitals and then a couple of recordings on youtube where someone plays (on an acoustical) the same notes -- same effect. I had asked my ENT, who happens to also be a piano player, and he said he has not heard of this but would look into it. That was 3 months ago. Never heard back from him. The sensation in the ears is similar to your ears popping like from an airplane but with very fast oscillations and stops immediately like a switch when I let go of the note. Very weird indeed.
My ears "flutter" in addition to tinnitus, too! I thought it was just me. Almost like a muscle spasm but in the ear.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Tone Deaf
...I'm curious to know how many you are or have become more noise sensitive due to tinnitus.

I have become markedly more sensitive to loud noises although I cannot say with certainty that it is due to tinnitus as I have always liked quietness and any pointless background aural garbage irritates me, loud or not. I usually carry earplugs if there is any likelihood of noise but it cannot always be predicted, shrieking of small children in confined areas and emergency vehicle sirens in close proximity being cases in point. I do not like concerts at the best of times but if I have to attend one I insert earplugs until the volume of ambient sound is apparent. At one stage I did experience distortion on hearing particular pitches. Thankfully this reaction has not occurred for a decade or more but I haven’t the slightest idea why it disappeared.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
S
S
I have always had ears sensitive to loud noise. Buy my hearing checks out ok.

So, I've had custom ear plugs for years. Went through a couple pairs already. Ear shape changes with time!. I wear them when traveling or at loud events.

Note that custom earplugs are wonderful for airline travel (can barely see them). Screaming baby in next seat? No problem. People think my patience is infinite. Haha.

This little issue makes digital pianos a nice option for me, and, causes trouble to enjoy some acoustics (present situation, in fact).

Slightly off topic, but, my feedback is that custom earplugs are worth the money! That set is perhaps the most valuable thing I own in life.

Originally Posted by Tone Deaf
Lately I noticed a change while playing piano.....it involves only the E, F, G right above middle C, when played seperately and undampened, these notes resonate painfully within my head, but notes played at bass or trebble end aren't problematic ......nothing to do with the piano since it's currently a Kawai CA67. Does anyone else find certain notes problematic for them?

I have had tinnitus for several years now. Initially at age of about 48 (I'm now 60) I developed the typical high pitched whine which drove me mad for some months until I became accustomed to it. About a year ago I developed a second more irritating form of tinnitus in my right ear only. The whine I can ignore most of the time, but I am still getting used to the new sound. To me it sounds like a geiger counter (this is an instrument for measuring ionizing radiation) It is similar to the first and third example in the following video: Example. Sometimes it is just the odd click and other times quite intense and exacerbated by loud noises such as loud bangs, loud music, vacuum cleaners or just general loud ambient noise.

Certain octaves do now sound harsh on my piano (G5#-G6# or A5#-A6#) and I have to just grit my teeth through such passages. I've had the piano for about 25 years and this is the first time some notes/chords have annoyed me. I haven't had an opportunity to try other pianos with COVID restrictions, but it does seem to be the tinnitus that is causing this.

The brain is amazingly adaptive and the irritation is far less than when I first developed this new clicking tinnitus. Hopefully it will eventually not be much of a problem.

1971 Bernhard Steiner U-131 upright
So doctor ruled out hearing injury, attributing it instead to the nerves. So it's good news, though at the same time a message from the brain to relax down and to ignore outside pressure, If I can.

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

I shall be "thankful" for this decent alternative to an upright piano. Hallelujah.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
Originally Posted by btcomm
My ears "flutter" in addition to tinnitus, too! I thought it was just me. Almost like a muscle spasm but in the ear.
That’s exactly how I was going to described mine too. I also have this from time to time. I also get some strange pressure change feeling hard to describe it text though. So far best thing I found is when I cut alcohol, eat good, sleep good, it helps but hardly helps as these are all the things that can never occur consistently and together for me. Haha

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Completed My 42 Week Pandemic Teaching Project
by tonystride - 06/22/21 03:41 PM
Kawai NV5 Users Group
by JBishop - 06/22/21 03:28 PM
Vax77 Folding Piano Review 2021
by AlphaTerminus - 06/22/21 01:12 PM
Recording an upright using ORTF?
by Beemer - 06/22/21 11:46 AM
Caution with cheap SSDs
by newer player - 06/22/21 11:08 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,655
Posts3,106,285
Members101,884
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission