2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 96 of 116 1 2 94 95 96 97 98 115 116
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Is Yamaha marketing the old pianos as "Classic Yamaha"? You know, like "Classic Coke". Maybe people like classic stuff more than new stuff/
Originally Posted by Pete14
The other odd lemon in Yamaha’s roster is the CP-300. This thing also runs on ten-years old technology and it’s more expensive than the P-515. ‘Sup with that, too?

“We got another one; I repeat, another aloof buyer has paid a premium for our obsolete tech despite the current tech hitting him right in the face.” ‘Sup with that!

A related observation: Don't you read the newbie posts here asking about old-model pianos they want to buy? Not just CP300. And not just Yamaha.
I think this stems from not knowing the market.

F
ftr Offline
F
Originally Posted by qpalzm
Originally Posted by mwf
The downweight of the 785 is about 70g which is classed way above the heavy range.

Wow, I measured the downweight of middle C on my Clavinova once and it was about 85g. So maybe anything new would be an improvement.

I think it is. The action of the 785, 745, etc. is lighter and more realistic (escapement?) than the action of my 15 year old Clavinova (CLP 270). The feeling of latter one is best decribed by a spring that pushes back with a constant force.
And in fairness of the piano, it has done a consequent job for 15 years, not failing once smile

But like it has been pointed out here before, best try for yourself.

Last edited by ftr; 03/15/21 07:41 AM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
You say ‘a spring that pushes back with constant force’ when referring to the CLP-270.

CG says something like ‘an odd resistance pushing back on the fingers’ when referring to the CLP-785.

Needless to say, you love the 785 whilst CG hates it.

I ask, what the heck is going on here? grin

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Is Yamaha marketing the old pianos as "Classic Yamaha"? You know, like "Classic Coke". Maybe people like classic stuff more than new stuff/
The other odd lemon in Yamaha’s roster is the CP-300. This thing also runs on ten-years old technology and it’s more expensive than the P-515. ‘Sup with that, too?

A related observation: Don't you read the newbie posts here asking about old-model pianos they want to buy? Not just CP300. And not just Yamaha.
I think this stems from not knowing the market.

Mac, can we collectively sue Yamaha for this practice?

If we win, this could send a clear message to the other manufacturers:

Discontinue or upgrade, Biatch! grin

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I haven't tested 785, only 775 which I hated. Maybe the counterweights on the 785 help.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Hey iSoft,
I bought a CA79 in December this year but my unit had massive quality issues (clicking and sticking keys, the infamous speaker buzzing, non-functional touch display).
So I was really disappointed and got my refund from my dealer after 2 weeks of ownership.
Now where stores have opened in Germany again I went to another dealer to test all the models and compare them including the CA59 and CA79.
The CA79 in the store had the exact same issue with the buzzing speaker/dissortion sound and the CA59 they put straight out the box for me to test had some clicking and even a sticky key. Which made me even more disappointed in Kawais current quality checks.

However even all these „issues“ aside with the CA79 and the CA59, I just found the speakers in the CLP745 to be way more powerful, more natural, very Open and clear sounding whereas the Kawais speakers sounded more dimmed and boxy to me. However that’s only my personal impression. Always to be taken with a grain of salt. Honestly I didn’t expect the CLP745 to convince me that much since I have been a Kawai „fanboy“ for the most time and looking up the stats the CA79 6way speaker should sound superior to the CLP745 4 way speaker but to me it simply didn’t.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I haven't tested 785, only 775 which I hated. Maybe the counterweights on the 785 help.

My bad (apologies); you did say 775 and not 785, but I wonder how much of a difference the counterweights make.

If the counterweights make such a big difference between the 785/775 then it is wrong for Yamaha to do this because the 775 is not a cheap instrument and to cripple it just to create a differentiation from the 785 is wrong.

For example, the N1X is much cheaper than the N3X but Yamaha didn’t change anything between the actions to differentiate the two instruments. The differences are marked by speakers, cabinetry, ivorite, TRS, etc.....

It should be no different between the 785\775. The speakers, cabinetry, etc, should more than differentiate the two.

The notion that a spring pushes back with a constant force is ... odd.
The old Clavs do have a leaf spring under each key ... but the spring force varies with the key's position. It's not constant. Hooke's law, and all that.
In any case it's not the springs that bothers me. It's the heaviness.

I haven't yet set fingers on a 700-series Clav. Are they still heavyweights, or not?

J
J

My bad (apologies); you did say 775 and not 785, but I wonder how much of a difference the counterweights make.

If the counterweights make such a big difference between the 785/775 then it is wrong for Yamaha to do this because the 775 is not a cheap instrument and to cripple it just to create a differentiation from the 785 is wrong.

For example, the N1X is much cheaper than the N3X but Yamaha didn’t change anything between the actions to differentiate the two instruments. The differences are marked by speakers, cabinetry, ivorite, TRS, etc.....

It should be no different between the 785\775. The speakers, cabinetry, etc, should more than differentiate the two.

I noticed a difference, the action is more light in 785 and there is specific movement like a seesaw (I liked this). 785 is the only one in 700 series that I see this. This seesaw is more evident in ca99.

I briefly tried ca99, around an hour and found it really light. I would like to know from ca99 owners what they think about this. To me the 785 is the better option before go to hybrids.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Juca, have you tried the NU1X? If so, how does it compare to the 785?

I assume when you said ‘the 785 is the better option before hybrids’ you meant as compared to the N1X/N3X.

J
J

I assume when you said ‘the 785 is the better option before hybrids’ you meant as compared to the N1X/N3X.

1 Unfortunately I did not find anywhere in Brazil the Yamaha avant grand series.

2 When I said hybrids I meant nv10 nv5, two beautiful hybrid pianos. Avant grand I haven't tried it but I am convinced that the key action is great since internally there is practically the mechanics of the acoustic piano.

I have a yamaha b1 and although clp 785 is not the same thing (785 tries to imitate something between grand and upright) the 785 goes very well. The ca99 is much lighter compared to this b1.

I don't have money to buy a hybrid, here in Brazil the nv10 is very very expensive.

The problem in ca99 to me is dynamic weight (but I don't know exactly what is that, maybe the weight when I'm playing, like feeling the key light).

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
You know, I loved the RM3/II and at some point saw myself never buying anything else other than a Kawai.....until the GF action came out.

Initially I was giddy with excitement because of the improvements claimed by Kawai; starting with the longer pivot, etc... but then I played the action and realized that it was too light-fluffy-bouncy for me. I then tried to convince myself that it must’ve been something to do with the settings or just a matter of getting used to it...fast forward many years and I never got used to it (GF).

I never tried the newer iterations, but I think it’s fair to assume they are also light.
It seems to me that this was done deliberately by Kawai (make the action lighter), and it’s not necessarily a bad thing because some do prefer a light(er) action; it’s just not the action for me.

I constantly ask about how the 685\785 compare to the NU1X because I’m genuinely curious since the price is very similar and the specs are very different.
The NU1X does have a real action, but then it’s an upright action (whatever that means); it only has four puny speakers, yet many prefer its sound over the 685 (not enough info on how the 785 compares in this regard). The NU1X also uses optical sensors; whereas, the 685\785 uses rubber sensors.

I’ve been paying more attention to the optical sensor mechanism vs. the rubber thingy mechanism. Perhaps optical is ‘much’ better because it is contactless and not affected by dust in the way rubber sensors are?

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

The thing about the NU1X is it seems like a match-made in heaven with VST. When I had my NU1X, it was the best experience I ever had with Garritan and VSL. I can't seem to find the same level of connection with my N1X now.

Q
Q
I’ve been paying more attention to the optical sensor mechanism vs. the rubber thingy mechanism. Perhaps optical is ‘much’ better because it is contactless and not affected by dust in the way rubber sensors are?

Maybe optical would fix the problem with sensors going bad. I've had Clavinovas for 30 years and the sensors only last about 10 before they need replaced.

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've arranged to get my clp785 collected and my ca99 sent back to me, I've only played about an hour since last Thursday on the 785 and to me it's unplayable, i can't express myself musically the way i want on such another action which feels like it's working against me the whole time... I detest its action. I also find the output of the speakers weak and underpowered compared to my ca99, which is amazing as it's 300w...and the kawai is 125w or something, the kawai is more powerful all round and at lower volumes.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
@mwf Nothing wrong with you liking the CA99 more. I think they are both nice pianos. I have some arthritis now and so I will be looking for a lighter action when I purchase my next digital piano.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
F
ftr Offline
F

They really do. Once I found a shop were I could play both the 775 and 785, the difference was obvious.

You are absolutely right. I actually came to the shop with the intention to buy the 775, unless there was a convincing difference in playability (decided the extra voices aren't worth a 1000 euros, and neither is the 16 WATT difference in speaker power smile ). However, you mentioned before that you like the NWX action. I don't know how that compares to the 775 (my 270 has GH3).
BTW: there was a NU1X there as well. I liked how that piano played too, but given CG's story about the loud note issue and the fact the the 785 action was good enough for me, I decided to skip it for now.

Last edited by ftr; 03/15/21 04:19 PM.
I
I
Originally Posted by GaiaImpact
Hey iSoft,
I bought a CA79 in December this year but my unit had massive quality issues (clicking and sticking keys, the infamous speaker buzzing, non-functional touch display).
So I was really disappointed and got my refund from my dealer after 2 weeks of ownership.
Now where stores have opened in Germany again I went to another dealer to test all the models and compare them including the CA59 and CA79.
The CA79 in the store had the exact same issue with the buzzing speaker/dissortion sound and the CA59 they put straight out the box for me to test had some clicking and even a sticky key. Which made me even more disappointed in Kawais current quality checks.

However even all these „issues“ aside with the CA79 and the CA59, I just found the speakers in the CLP745 to be way more powerful, more natural, very Open and clear sounding whereas the Kawais speakers sounded more dimmed and boxy to me. However that’s only my personal impression. Always to be taken with a grain of salt. Honestly I didn’t expect the CLP745 to convince me that much since I have been a Kawai „fanboy“ for the most time and looking up the stats the CA79 6way speaker should sound superior to the CLP745 4 way speaker but to me it simply didn’t.

Hi Gaia,

That's indeed suprising ! I really thought too that the CA-79 speaker system would be way more immersive and precise than the 745.
Thanks for this detailed answer smile

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by qpalzm

Maybe optical would fix the problem with sensors going bad. I've had Clavinovas for 30 years and the sensors only last about 10 before they need replaced.
Optical sensors would appear to be better than the rubber/graphite thingies you mention, however the grating is subject to haze/film/bloom that occurs overtime on internal surfaces such as glass windows, and the LED outputs can deteriorate. Having said that mine are 8 years without trouble so far, although I did clean the gratings with isopropyl alcohol at some point.

K
K
Hi all!

I have been following this thread for a while and decided to register and join in the conversation.

I have just placed an order for a CLP-785 at my local music shop and they gave me an estimate of 2-3 weeks for the delivery.

My Yamaha P-150 has served me since 2012 so this will be a major upgrade for me. smile

Page 96 of 116 1 2 94 95 96 97 98 115 116

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission