2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3093087 03/14/21 10:42 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
If you had the choice, what program would you first like to hear when halls open again? It could be a recital, symphonic, whatever.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
There can be only one work that is up to the job of re-opening concert halls and with full orchestras and audiences: Mahler's Resurrection.

This is the rousing, roof-blowing conclusion:

If music be the food of love, play on!
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
There can be only one work that is up to the job of re-opening concert halls and with full orchestras and audiences: Mahler's Resurrection.

This is the rousing, roof-blowing conclusion:

Before I even saw your reply, this was also my first thought.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Interesting, halls are open here and there are regular concerts now. Not at full capacity, I think at 1/3 but still. Evgeni Kissin played last week, unfortunately I missed it frown But next week I'll go to Argerich + Bozhanov + Akane Sakai, they will play in various piano duo configurations with an orchestra.

BTW, many people already recovered from COVID (I pulled through it a month ago) or are vaccinated, so it seems logical that concerts are resumed.

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/15/21 11:52 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
B
B
Many orchestras have continued to perform during lockdown restrictions but with much reduced forces and no audiences. The Wiener Philharmoniker went ahead with their annual New Year's Day Concert with full orchestral forces (but no audience) in the Musikvereinsaal, but they could do that only because the whole orchestra (& conductor Riccardo Muti) got tested twice in the preceding week while keeping socially isolated within their own 'social bubble' - just by themselves, away from their families.

Pianists performed to empty halls, and chamber musicians play socially distanced for live streaming and broadcasts on radio & TV. In the Last Night of the BBC Proms, the (reduced) orchestral players were socially distanced and the choir was in the audience stalls, standing 3 meters away from each other. (Singing loudly indoors carries a high risk of transmission):

And some "chamber arrangements" have been performed of big orchestral works, e.g. Das Lied von der Erde and Dvořák's Cello Concerto - just two of the big orchestral works reduced to small forces which I've heard on radio recently.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Originally Posted by CyberGene
BTW, many people already recovered from COVID (I pulled through it a month ago) or are vaccinated, so it seems logical that concerts are resumed.
But what about all the people that don't fit in either category? Also, as far as I know, having had covid is not considered as much protection as being vaccinated.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
But what about all the people that don't fit in either category? Also, as far as I know, having had covid is not considered as much protection as being vaccinated.

Well, if we assume the vaccinated people and those who recovered from COVID (and have enough antibodies), don’t spread the virus, and at the same time are protected from contracting it again, it seems only logical for them to resume life without fear of affecting the other people.

I’ve noticed COVID related talk is not well accepted on the forum though. Hopefully we can act civilized 🙂

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/15/21 05:03 PM.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Well, if we assume the vaccinated people and those who recovered from COVID (and have enough antibodies), don’t spread the virus, and at the same time are protected from contracting it again, it seems only logical for them to resume life without fear of affecting the other people.
It's not yet to what degree vaccinated people can spread the virus. It's also not known if those who have recovered can spread the virus or how well they are protected from getting ill again. But, more importantly, what about anyone in the audience that doesn't fit either of those categories? They could have the virus and spread it to others.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I’m not sure how it is in other countries but here in Bulgaria only 1/3 of the hall can be full with enough space between people and all are required to wear masks. Body temperature is also measured at entrance and if one has fever, he won’t be allowed. Needless to say if anyone is coughing will also not be allowed. So, a very low risk of infection. And people take their risk after all. What I’m saying is, I’d personally go without fear since I recovered recently and I have high antibody count in my blood that I measured. A vaccinated person would be even more protected. Maybe one can go to a concert only if bringing a medical document he is vaccinated or is having a high antibody count.

Otherwise there will be people who are still not vaccinated after a year. What will guarantee it won’t start all over again? Life should resume, and the musicians are especially impacted financially by the situation, so there should be some reasonable compromise and balance, provided good protective measures are taken.

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/15/21 06:33 PM.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
The situation in Bulgaria sounds similar to the situation we had in England in the autumn, before the "Kent variant" of the virus struck and sent the covid figures skyrocketing. "Socially distanced" concerts were allowed for a short period, though there were not many of them. I went to a notable concert at Glyndebourne in early December. This was not my only concert since the start of lockdown in March, but it was musically the most outstanding. It was an orchestral concert with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment (who play on original instruments), conducted by the wonderful Sir Mark Elder. Intervals were not allowed (too much mingling), so the concert was relatively short. We heard excerpts from Fidelio (the Overture, Floresan's great aria, Leonore's great aria, the final great duet), followed by the Brahms violin concerto with Alina Ibraghimova as soloist. The OAE is a fine orchestra, and the optimism of the programme together with the marvellous acoustics of the theatre made this an unforgettable occasion.

I’m not sure how it is in other countries but here in Bulgaria only 1/3 of the hall can be full with enough space between people and all are required to wear masks. Body temperature is also measured at entrance and if one has fever, he won’t be allowed. Needless to say if anyone is coughing will also not be allowed. So, a very low risk of infection. And people take their risk after all. What I’m saying is, I’d personally go without fear since I recovered recently and I have high antibody count in my blood that I measured. A vaccinated person would be even more protected. Maybe one can go to a concert only if bringing a medical document he is vaccinated or is having a high antibody count.

Otherwise there will be people who are still not vaccinated after a year. What will guarantee it won’t start all over again? Life should resume, and the musicians are especially impacted financially by the situation, so there should be some reasonable compromise and balance, provided good protective measures are taken.
You're changing the scenario now. If everyone attending the concert is vaccinated that's a different situation. But in the U.S. the CDC is recommending only small gatherings of vaccinated people. Things like temperature taking can help screen out some infected people but someone can be infected without a fever. I don't think allowing 1/3 of full capacity allows for 6' distance between people. It would allow for 6' sideways distancing but those in front or back of someone would be much closer.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If someone is sick but is not coughing or speaking and is wearing a mask and you’re wearing a mask, the chances of transmission are pretty low. Especially if you’ve already been sick before or have been vaccinated. If you’re still afraid, then maybe stay home? Why would you want to also prevent other people going to the concert if the state authorities allowed it? We can’t just stop doing anything and only stay at home indefinitely. When is COVID finished? Is there a criteria? How about people who refuse to get vaccinated? Do we keep the lockdown forever?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

The thing that terrifies me about going back into the concert halls even with a vaccination is what the experts like Fauci and Walensky fail to address: the vaccine has a good record of protecting against hospitalizations and death. Far as mild to moderate cases they don't know. The thing is that even people with mild to moderate cases who don't have to get hospitalized, still about 30% of them turn into "Covid long haulers" with a panoply of symptoms ranging from mild to truly devastating--much worse than the disease itself and potentially lifelong. The stories on "Survivor Corps" on FB are horrifying. Sometimes you might think "Better to have died of the disease than live with the aftermath for the rest of your life."

Townley: Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor Op 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1WR7oPY44
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
When is COVID finished? Is there a criteria? How about people who refuse to get vaccinated? Do we keep the lockdown forever?

These are all very good questions since we need to consider that a very serious AGENDA is at play here and there is now good reason as to why you should NOT get vaccinated:

As I will never take the vaccinations even if "mandated."

Here is a young lady that DIED from the vaccine:

Was in very good health with no other illness!

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 03/17/21 06:24 PM.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
[Time expired to edit the above post so have added this one]

Here is why the current mRNA vaccinations are very dangerous for many reasons:

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 03/17/21 06:24 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The topic is supposed to be about what would like to hear in concert when venues are open.

Speculation about vaccines, resurgence of the virus, political motivation, and the like are OFF TOPIC for the thread and frankly, venture into politics.

You want a vaccine, fine. You don't, fine. You don't think venues should open, great. Or not open, great. The minute someone brings these things up then we venture into politics and conspiracy theories.

Topic closed.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission