2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
43 members (Burkey, CyberGene, Dariusz, Christopher90, bilb, clothearednincompo, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 972 guests, and 510 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
A very interesting concerto collaboration with Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli:

G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Here is the great Leopold Godowsky playing a Chopin Nocturne which shows a more reflective and less virtuoso aspect of his playing:

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by grand_BB_71
Here is the great Leopold Godowsky playing a Chopin Nocturne which shows a more reflective and less virtuoso aspect of his playing:

What I find interesting from listening to that recording is that some pianists, like Godowsky, had completely abandoned the stylistic tendencies(extreme rubato, asychronization of hands, etc.) that other pianists of his era practiced.

G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
One of the best recordings I have ever heard of Chopin's Barcarolle, Op. 60:

C
C
My take on the Golden Age pianists is that there are few who I regularly still listen to. With the huge range of choice available on youtube I can often find better examples played by less exalted musicians! The main exception is Sviatoslav Richter, who is kind of my only piano "idol"...(composers aside)

When it comes to many of the golden age pianists I regularly find pieces where I feel like I'm "paying for the name", so to speak. They almost take too many liberties...

Recently, when I was casting around for a nice version of Chopin 48-1 I started off with the "Golden Age" pianists, but could not find any which I really liked. I found Rubinstein's version particularly grating, with some, frankly quite weird, timing choices in the first section.
After running out of golden-agers I tried some more recent versions by Lisiecki, Lisitsa etc, but just didn't enjoy them.

In the end I chose Seong Jin Cho's rendition, recorded at the Chopin competition, as my preferred version. (for now at least)

Roland FP-10
F
F
Originally Posted by Chris James
My take on the Golden Age pianists is that there are few who I regularly still listen to. With the huge range of choice available on youtube I can often find better examples played by less exalted musicians! The main exception is Sviatoslav Richter, who is kind of my only piano "idol"...(composers aside)

When it comes to many of the golden age pianists I regularly find pieces where I feel like I'm "paying for the name", so to speak. They almost take too many liberties...

Recently, when I was casting around for a nice version of Chopin 48-1 I started off with the "Golden Age" pianists, but could not find any which I really liked. I found Rubinstein's version particularly grating, with some, frankly quite weird, timing choices in the first section.
After running out of golden-agers I tried some more recent versions by Lisiecki, Lisitsa etc, but just didn't enjoy them.

In the end I chose Seong Jin Cho's rendition, recorded at the Chopin competition, as my preferred version. (for now at least)

There are plenty of golden age pianists who didn't take "too many liberties", as you describe it. Arthur de Greef and Emil von Sauer, for example. (Both happen to be Liszt pupils; de Greef was Grieg's favorite pianist!)

I particularly like Sauer. He's the only pianist I actually enjoy hearing Liszt's La Campanella etude from. His interpretation of the Liszt E-flat concerto is also excellent.

Pianist-in-training. Also a boy who hasn't grown up at heart. And a BIG BIG fan of Edward MacDowell.
I change my signature alot.
C
C
Those are both excellent examples, and not someone whose work I'm familiar with. (possibly for the reason I mention below)

I certainly don't want to disparage any of the greats I should add. Musical taste is a fickle thing, but virtuosity is absolute.

This may be a minor point, but I tend to listen to music on headphones a lot, and I do find the poor quality of some older recordings distracting, which tips the scales in favour of more recent recordings for me personally.

Roland FP-10
Online Content
I only listened to the first minute of both Sauer videos and thought they were quite poor. The Campanella sounds like he is struggling even at a much slower speed than most play it. It's possible he was quite old and past his prime when these pieces were recorded.

I just checked and he recorded the concerto at 77 so he can be forgiven for the slow tempo and technical difficulties.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/03/21 04:33 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Alicia de Larrocha is wonderful for Mozart. Here is a perfect album and a two-fer with another pianist from this time period:

Alicia de Larrocha / André Previn - Mozart Sonata for two pianos, K.448

The other piece on the album is a favorite of mine:
Alicia de Larrocha / André Previn - Mozart Concerto for two pianos, K.365

K.448 is new to me after it was posted by a member here. I think this version here is in it's own category of excellence. I could be wrong but I think the original album is from 1977.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Ironically, there are many details that I too do not AGREE with regarding Hofmann's performance of the 4th Ballade although I have definitely been taken in by the overall conception / interpretation that is very unique to his truly "old school" free-wheeling style of playing which no one else does, anymore. This is the kind of playing that the younger generation of pianists today simply do not understand.

Since this thread seems to still be alive, I thought I'd share a couple of videos of one living pianist who I think does get close to that "old school" sensibility. See if you don't agree...

G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Here is a performance of the Chopin Berceuse, Op. 57, by Walter Gieseking:

G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Here's rare footage of Paderewski playing Beethoven:

G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Here is a legendary performance of Liszt's 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody and note as to how Paderewski adds in his own "cadenza" into the score:

C
C
Paderewski was so amazing.

Not really relevant to anything here but in the ‘80s I played dozens of jazz engagements standing next to the Weber concert piano Paderewski used on his 1907-08 tour of North America. I was playing upright bass. The piano he used on the whole tour was auctioned off and ended up in Vancouver, at Cecil Green Manor. It had a brass plaque on it about Paderewski.

I believe the Weber is now in California. It is a huge grand and beautifully restored.

Last edited by CaseyVancouver; 04/07/21 11:13 PM.
Originally Posted by CaseyVancouver
...Not really relevant to anything here....

Sure it is!!! thumb

....in the ‘80s I played dozens of jazz engagements standing next to the Weber concert piano Paderewski used on his 1908-10 tour of North America. I was playing upright bass. The piano he used on the whole tour was auctioned off and ended up in Vancouver, at Cecil Green Manor.

I believe the Weber is now in California. It is a huge grand and beautifully restored.

I would have hated for you not to tell that!

G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Here is a legendary performance of Liszt's 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody and note as to how Paderewski adds in his own "cadenza" into the score:

Also, take note after the 4:50 mark the young child who is enjoying her concert time candies (with the mother smiling accordingly) as Paderewski continues to play.

Have to admit that at 62 yrs. old (myself) the great Polish master plays this piece far better than I can! grin

Online Content

This video is famous only because its part of a movie. Paderewski was old and way past his prime. The performance is important historically but objectively it's simply bad.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

This video is famous only because its part of a movie. Paderewski was old and way past his prime. The performance is important historically but objectively it's simply bad.
I have to disagree. I enjoyed it. Obviously the sound quality was bad. Perhaps you missed the facial expressions?

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Here is a great "live" concert from Amsterdam performed by Shura Cherkassky that dates from 1992 which also includes Chopin's Ballade No. 4:

W
W

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is the most beautiful controller
by Dallon426 - 06/22/21 04:21 AM
Kawai MP 6 editor - librarian software? Service Manual?
by tedsorvino1 - 06/22/21 02:22 AM
Keith Jarrett's Forward "The Piano Book"
by Xam - 06/21/21 11:06 PM
Is this legal?
by Dore - 06/21/21 10:46 PM
Anyone owns KRK Rokit 10-3 g4s?
by Abdol - 06/21/21 10:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,642
Posts3,106,083
Members101,876
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission