2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
54 members (andrewlapp, Burkey, AndyP, Beansparrow, 1957, bilb, CharlesXX, butchkoch, 11 invisible), 965 guests, and 458 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
When referring to the greatest "Golden Age" pianists a very comprehensive list would include but is not limited to the following:

Claudio Arrau
Gina Bachauer
Wilhelm Backhaus
Harold Bauer
Lazar Berman
Ferruccio Busoni
Teresa Carreño
Robert Casadesus
Shura Cherkassky
Van Cliburn
Alfred Cortot
György Cziffra
Annie Fischer
Ignaz Friedman
Ossip Gabrilowitsch
Walter Gieseking
Emil Gilels
Leopold Godowsky
Percy Grainger
Myra Hess
Josef Hofmann
Vladimir Horowitz
José Iturbi
William Kapell
Wilhelm Kempff
Wanda Landowska
Raymond Lewenthal
Josef Lhevinne
Dinu Lipatti
Nikita Magaloff
Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli
Benno Moiseiwitsch
Heinrich Neuhaus
Guiomar Novaes
Ervin Nyiregyházi
Vladimir de Pachmann
Ignacy Jan Paderewski
Sergei Rachmaninoff
Sviatoslov Richter
Moriz Rosenthal
Artur Rubinstein
György Sándor
Artur Schnabel
Abbey Simon
Ruth Slenczynska
Solomon (Cutner)
Rosalyn Tureck
Earl Wild

One of my all time favorite "golden age" pianists would have to be Josef Hofmann and while the recorded sound is quite poor from 1938 below his playing is very unrestricted and he takes great risks with high level virtuoso playing which is not heard by today's generation of pianists:

Feel free to add in any of your favorite pianists from the past and/or any other anecdotes or stories you might have!

He's very hasty in his playing, Chopin write Adagio at the beginning of this piece, but he starts in a rush, something that is done with a lot of pianists, not sure why. Also, I think there are many pianists of his level these days. Maybe it's more nostalgic that makes you prefer him. I have the same feeling with the "golden age" pianists. Maybe it's because they lived closer to the composers they play, or it's the idea that "in the past, everything was better". I love Horowitz for example, he's my favourite.

G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
After checking and going through my original list above it appears I had overlooked at least ONE great "golden age" pianist ... and, that is:

Question:

Would anyone happen to know the specific building and/or very ornate room that Bolet is playing in ... as nothing is mentioned in the video or comments as to where this had been performed?

W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
Hello

When did the Golden Age of pianists start and finish, roughly?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would add Ingrid Haebler:

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
You need to give us your definition of "Golden Age" for pianists to understand your post. As far as I know that term has no precise definition and isn't even used much.

Also, your list is totally subjective. If you define Golden Age by when they were born, there would be many more pianists than you included. If you requite that pianists on the list meet a certain standard of greatness than many would disagree with some pianists on your list.

F
F
Two Liszt pupils who made a lot of recordings are missing from your surprisingly thorough list: Arthur de Greef (Grieg's favorite pianist) and Emil von Sauer (one of my favorite performers of the La Campanella).

Pianist-in-training. Also a boy who hasn't grown up at heart. And a BIG BIG fan of Edward MacDowell.
I change my signature alot.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The "Golden Age" is a term from Greek mythology. Pianos didn't exist at the time.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
You need to give us your definition of "Golden Age" for pianists to understand your post. As far as I know that term has no precise definition and isn't even used much.

Also, your list is totally subjective. If you define Golden Age by when they were born, there would be many more pianists than you included. If you requite that pianists on the list meet a certain standard of greatness than many would disagree with some pianists on your list.

You know that ‘great’ and ‘excellent’ are subjective. If you think there is an acceptable standard, go back to your own post of famous people who are excellent pianists and provide your objective criteria for excellence.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
Edwin Fischer
Clifford Curzon
Alicia de Larrocha

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Clara Haskil

Online Content
If the Golden Age means pianists born between say 1845-1925, for example(just a random choice based on the OPs list since the OP hasn't made this clear), then there are at least 100 but probably a lot more top pianists from that era. So what's the point of making a list of them? I'm sure I can find 50 that haven't been mentioned by leafing through a book like Dubal's The Art of the Piano. I'm also sure I could list just as many born after 1925.

Here's a book that defines Golden Age Pianists as great pianists active between 1900 and 1950.

http://www.leginska.org/greatpianists.html

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Nadia Reisenberg - 20+ concerts at Carnegie Hall

Rach Elegie

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

Originally Posted by Andre van Haren
(about Hofmann in the 4th Ballad) He's very hasty in his playing, Chopin write Adagio at the beginning of this piece....

I agree about preferring it not so 'hasty,' but just wanted to mention, it isn't marked "Adagio," and if someone played it Adagio, I'd complain about that too. grin

(It's "Andante con moto.")

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Jean Doyen
Marcelle Meyer
Marguerite Long
Ricardo Viñes
Moura Lympany
Maria Yudina
Vladimir Sofronitsky
Jeanne-Marie Darré
Vlado Perlemuter
Andor Földes
Yves Nat
Pierre Sancan
Alexander Brailowsky
Grant Johannesen
Dino Ciani
Gaby Casadesus
Germaine Thyssens-Valentin
Samson François

G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks for everyone that has added and/or will be adding other pianists to the main listing as I was not aware of some that have been mentioned above even though I thought I already had a decent knowledge and memory of most of the main players! The "golden age" or era of music was quite comprehensive and there are obviously a multitude of performers that can be considered and fit into this group.

Extra note:

I was more interested in simply sharing the various RECORDINGS by these great performers of the past since for most of them we now only have their recordings to listen to. This is why music ... and, piano music in particular ... is such a rewarding thing to be a part of -- not only in listening to these performances but also in playing the instrument which offers nearly unlimited expression.

Do appreciate all of the feedback!

G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by dogperson
Nadia Reisenberg - 20+ concerts at Carnegie Hall

Rach Elegie

Thanks, for this!

Was not aware of Nadia Reisenberg and thanks for adding the two videos as her playing is excellent especially as I happen to like the Rachmaninoff Elegie which has always been a personal favorite of mine to play.

And, for reference here is the composer's own performance of the Elegie:

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Little known information about Nadia. Her sister is Vlara Rockmore, considered a virtuoso on the Theramin . The sisters were known to play together in concerts

Here is a link to Clara on the Theramin accompanied by Nadia

BTW: I, too, love to play Elegie. I much prefer Reisenberg and Garilov’s performances to Rach’s performance.

Last edited by dogperson; 03/13/21 05:19 PM.

G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Andre van Haren
(about Hofmann in the 4th Ballad) He's very hasty in his playing, Chopin write Adagio at the beginning of this piece....

I agree about preferring it not so 'hasty,' but just wanted to mention, it isn't marked "Adagio," and if someone played it Adagio, I'd complain about that too. grin

(It's "Andante con moto.")

@Mark_C:

Wanted to add here that Josef Hofmann never did READ and play scores with regards to note perfection and/or striving to follow the notation and all dynamic markings exactly as written by the composer. This is where his innate genius to sort of improvise the performance on the spot -- as he performed -- and, this also includes his rather uncanny and natural ability to bring out hidden inner voices and lines that would not ordinarily be played. It is the freedom he gives to the music that counts and if we listen to it expecting to hear note-perfect and/or exact renditions of any given score then he is someone you do not want to listen to.

Ironically, there are many details that I too do not AGREE with regarding Hofmann's performance of the 4th Ballade although I have definitely been taken in by the overall conception / interpretation that is very unique to his truly "old school" free-wheeling style of playing which no one else does, anymore. This is the kind of playing that the younger generation of pianists today simply do not understand.

Also, here is a legendary performance by the great Paderewski:

Before anyone might harshly criticize the above performance keep in mind that it was a pianistic habit of the day to "break hands" -- i.e., playing notes in the L.H. prior to other -- and, of course keep in mind Paderewski was quite old at the time of this performance and technically the playing will NOT compare with any modern day performances -- granted. It is his overall conception of the piece and absolute freedom he gives to the playing that is quite amazing even with the (given) mistakes.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Speakers in sub $800 DP?
by Crusaderrabbit - 06/22/21 07:26 AM
Finger substitutions on slow LH arpeggios?
by pianoloverus - 06/22/21 07:18 AM
Tuning App or Small Meter
by brdwyguy - 06/22/21 07:00 AM
Lessons : Your place or mine ?
by Vikendios - 06/22/21 06:18 AM
This is the most beautiful controller
by Dallon426 - 06/22/21 04:21 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,646
Posts3,106,119
Members101,879
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission