2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (anotherscott, astrotoy, Bruce In Philly, antune, andrea monza, BlakeOR, butchkoch, 36251, 9 invisible), 964 guests, and 517 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
One way to ignore Tinnitus is to turn on a radio to a speech only channel, we have Radio 4 here in the UK, turn down the volume so you can here the talking but not make out what is being said, concentrating on trying to hear what's being said helps. This is something which helps with temporary Insomnia too.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Alas I didn't take the OP's advice and it seems now I have this condition even though my piano is digital!
I have a small 4x3 practice room and my digital piano can output 50 watts of power. Even though most of the time I've had set to 4/6 of volume, it's proven now to be too much, given the acoustics of the room. I remember one friend being surprised by the execive volume but I ignored him. Well, I have only myself to blame. :-/

For what it's worth, I'm gonna visit a doctor as soon as possible and also lower the volume from now on.

Pianoteq + Korg C1 = Great enough substitution for an acoustic piano.
-----------------
Privacy, first!
I'm glad this old thread came back, some interesting stuff. I'm 67 and have high-pitched tinnitus that I blame on spending too much time at the gun range in my youth. I notice ti the most when I am playing my Casio with headphones on. ANnoying, but not debilitating.

Last edited by trooplewis; 03/11/21 12:08 PM.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
Originally Posted by bluebilly
One way to ignore Tinnitus is to turn on a radio to a speech only channel, we have Radio 4 here in the UK, turn down the volume so you can here the talking but not make out what is being said, concentrating on trying to hear what's being said helps. This is something which helps with temporary Insomnia too.
Yeah silence increases Tinnitus. I have a bit of hope that if my case is indeed audio related, I'll recover.
And falling asleep with radio talk on rocks! hehe

Originally Posted by trooplewis
I'm glad this old thread came back, some interesting stuff. I'm 67 and have high-pitched tinnitus that I blame on spending too much time at the gun range in my youth. I notice ti the most when I am playing my Casio with headphones on. ANnoying, but not debilitating.
Interesting that the "effects" are different from one person to another, mine sounds like hushhh hush. :-/

Last edited by meghdad; 03/11/21 12:40 PM.

-----------------
Privacy, first!
Founder - Owner - Host
6000 Post Club Member
Founder - Owner - Host
6000 Post Club Member
Mine sounds a bit like the old test pattern sound when TV went off for the night (yes, I'm that old).
It is loudest in my right ear, and slightly different pitch in each ear.

Not very helpful to a piano tuner, and actually painful when I tune in a soundproof room.

I sleep with a fan on blowing in my face, partially because it helps me with my breathing, but mostly because the white noise covers up the loud ringing in my ears.

I once took a fan to Europe with me, I brought what I though was a voltage converter.
Plugged it in, turned it on. It ran really fast for about 3 seconds and then when up in smoke.
Turns out it was an adapter (U.S. plug to European plug) not a converter :-)

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maple Street Music Shop
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.linkedin.com/in/pianoworld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond D100 (think B3 in a cabinet) & Leslie HL722, Harpsichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, 2 - Antique Pump Organs & others
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Please invite every piano enthusiast you know to join our piano forums!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I would also add that if you grind your teeth when sleeping this can cause tinnitus as the jaw muscle becomes tense and causes ringing in ears. Stress is also very common reason for ringing. The ringing can come and go. ENTs are seeing so many more patients for tinnitus during the pandemic as stress levels are elevated. Some times a bite guard from the dentist and or some relaxing methods (meditate, walks, etc.) can remove symptoms but it takes time.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Piano World
I sleep with a fan on blowing in my face, partially because it helps me with my breathing, but mostly because the white noise covers up the loud ringing in my ears.

There are some audio tracks that do the same. You could play them with your phone or tablet. I have a few short ones (rain and sea waves) that I play to help me to get asleep.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, wow. Ya, I have had it my whole life. Could have been from anything. It gets really, really bad when I have caffeine, of course. At night it gets so bad that if it's quiet, it's like someone is blowing a squealing, howling, metal-on-metal sound into my ear. Thankfully my wife's CPAP covers it up most of the time. smile

The interesting thing is that even though it's incredibly loud, it doesn't cover up the ability to hear other sounds through it, even very soft ones.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
T
Ted Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
I have had a constant high frequency in my left ear for twenty-six years. It started suddenly in 1995 after a particularly bad influenza. I therefore assume that was the cause as I have not been exposed to excessively loud noise. It doesn't bother me at all but I posted a poll on Pianostreet and was shocked at the proportion of pianists, mostly young, who have tinnitus and worse, are seriously worried by it.

Tinnitus poll

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I have it in my left ear, for 25 years now. I had a milder form of Meniere’s that started when I was 6 months pregnant with my daughter. I had a lot of stress going on at that time and I think the combo wasn’t good for my health. Anyway, I recovered fine, but I did lose some hearing. The tinnitus doesn’t bother me, I’m so used to it by now. I do have to wear musician’s ear plugs in loud environments, and I also wear them when I’m full out playing piano, but not usually for slow practice. Always protect your hearing! 😊👍

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
It gets really, really bad when I have caffeine, of course. At night it gets so bad that if it's quiet, it's like someone is blowing a squealing, howling, metal-on-metal sound into my ear. Thankfully my wife's CPAP covers it up most of the time.
We use a white noise machine at night, it’s super helpful to mask any noises, in the ear or not. 👍

Lisa

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I've had it for years. I also have meniers so sometimes the tinnitus will get worse in my left ear when the deafness increases. Basically tinittus takes the place of deafness. The more deaf you get the worse the tinnitus. Does anytning really help? Yea... getting your hearing back. Good luck with that. I have just learned to live with it. It's like a permanent fall day with the crickets roaring.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Come to think of it, I grew up with constant strep throat and ear infections. But back when I was kid, doctors didn’t do anything about it. That might have something to do with it!

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by charleslang
One more thing.

This is gold, all of it--your contribution and others.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
So I just learnt that it could be caused by not only loud sound, but also infections and stress (anger included). I will arrange for a doctor visit ASAP!

P.S My friend who is learning the violin has been suffering from the condition for one month now. So it's not just the piano of course. I'd say the odds of having Tinnitus could be higher when playing a naturally loud instrument so close to the ears such as the violin.

Last edited by meghdad; 03/12/21 04:28 AM.

-----------------
Privacy, first!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I should add, I take a lot of medications as well as herbal concoctions for my meniers disease and one of them is flavonoid. The company that makes Lipo Flavonoid claims that it is "considered by ENT's to be the most effective over the counter solution to reduce ear ringing." Does it work? My tinnitus, deafness and dizziness is so up and down I can't tell what helps and what doesn't. But... it can't hurt.

I will also add although in today's world I think everyone knows this... wear ear protection for any loud noises. I teach sporting clays so of course we all wear ear protection (if we didn't we could rename the clinics "Tinnitus clinics") but I also wear them when mowing, sawing, hammering and even vaccuming. I wish I had done that from an early age. (I still remember practically sitting in the speakers at a Steve Miller concert when I was 16). I've been told that when ever you experience ringing in the ears after a loud noise you have perminently lost some hearing. I've also been told (as mentioned earlier) that tinnitus is a sign of hearing loss.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton
I should add, I take a lot of medications as well as herbal concoctions for my meniers disease and one of them is flavonoid. The company that makes Lipo Flavonoid claims that it is "considered by ENT's to be the most effective over the counter solution to reduce ear ringing." Does it work? My tinnitus, deafness and dizziness is so up and down I can't tell what helps and what doesn't. But... it can't hurt.
How long have you been dealing with the condition? I’m sorry you have it, it’s not very pleasant. I tried many different herbal remedies and didn’t find any of them helpful. Some were downright bad for me, causing heart palpitations, which stressed me out even more! What helped tremendously was learning stress relief practices, plus a low sodium diet. “Mind Over Meniere’s” by Glenn Schweitzer was a helpful book.

Lisa

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ebonyk
How long have you been dealing with the condition? I’m sorry you have it, it’s not very pleasant. I tried many different herbal remedies and didn’t find any of them helpful. Some were downright bad for me, causing heart palpitations, which stressed me out even more! What helped tremendously was learning stress relief practices, plus a low sodium diet. “Mind Over Meniere’s” by Glenn Schweitzer was a helpful book.

I've had meniers for around 20 years. Fortunately I only had the periodic deafness in my left ear ans of course roaring tinnitus. Unfortunately the extreme vertigo began a little over a year ago. I've had three serious attacks where I couldn't move and just lay and vomited for a few hours. I've since lost my pilots licence and almost my instructor job. You can't fly if you run the risk of vertigo. I take a number of chinese herbs for vertigo, a diuretic for my inner ear, low sodium, no caffene and do a regime I came across on a meniers forum. It includes Lysine, flavanod, Vitamin B and a number of other things (I can give you the name of the regime if you are interested). Since doing all of that I still am dizzy some of the time but nothing like what happened last summer. It gets worse in the summer so I'm hoping this regime holds off the worst of it. Glenn's book is a help (as is his blog) but more than anything it's just nice knowing you are not alone. BTW, the herbal remedy I like best is called Inner Ear Balance. I also have a heart problem called a PAC but I find the herbs don't bother it at all.

I believe those who can see a relation between caffeine and this condition should visit a circulatory system doctor. This includes myself as well. :-/

-----------------
Privacy, first!
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I've had meniers for around 20 years.
I’m really sorry you’re dealing with this. 🙁

Lisa

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Juggling Piano!
by Sam S - 06/14/21 07:25 PM
Please help: Kawai ST-1 (institutional) or K-300?
by SantaCecilia - 06/14/21 07:11 PM
Kawai VPC1 velocity curve
by luigigiul76 - 06/14/21 06:17 PM
Quality of the piano dealership shop
by lct14558 - 06/14/21 05:58 PM
Studio piano vsts? eg Ivory, Alicia's Keys
by MarkOfJohnson - 06/14/21 05:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,515
Posts3,103,681
Members101,810
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission