2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
I think the resolution is actually stronger than a V I . A half diminished to a major, a whole step below. Example: D half diminished to C major

Why is this resolution so Strong?

The nearest I can get is its related to the parallel minor?

Z

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi

I'd describe it as a V chord substitution, as in effect it's a 2nd inversion of G7b9add11.

But there are many other people here, who can probably give you a better explanation (if there is one).

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

ABRSM Grade 7 distinction 2023.
Decent blues/rock Pianist.
Try to play Jazz Piano, but pretty rubbish.
Studying ABRSM grade 8 now.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by ZeroZero

Z

Agree - In the key of C the 'Lowered 7 dominant' - Bb7 - goes C major

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
The reason a V7 chords resolves so well to the I is the tritone in the V7 chord. This in G7, the tritone b and f, which cry out to move to c and e; thus the nice resolution. As noted in earlier responses, the diminished chord you're using (D dim) has that tritone in it.

Another example is a similar substitution of a diminished chord for a 7th chord is the I VI ii chord sequence. Thus in C it would be Cmaj 7, A7 to D-. Now, substitute C# diminished for the A7. It not only leads wonderfully to the D-, but makes for a great bass line.

That use of the diminished chord instead of the dominant was very popular in older jazz like Basie charts.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by jjo
the diminished chord you're using (D dim) has that tritone in it.

Now, substitute C# diminished for the A7. It not only leads wonderfully to the D-, but makes for a great bass line.

the d dim doesn’t have a b in it at all and the OP was about the dim chord resolving down a whole step

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I think the resolution is actually stronger than a V I . A half diminished to a major, a whole step below. Example: D half diminished to C major

Z

I'll throw in another take. In case no one else stated it this way. A D half diminished to C major assuming they are both in root position (things like this really really need to be notated so that every one is on the same notation page).........the D half diminishted has an Ab leading a half step down to G AND an F leading a half step down to E. Also, of course the D moving down a step.

As stated above a V I would only have ONE half step leading tone - a B leading to a C. I'd say 2 half step leading tones vs one half step leading tone sounds more strongly resolved.

Last edited by indigo_dave; 03/10/21 04:07 PM.
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Yes both in root positions.

Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Its such a beautiful chord in gthis context, it has a kind of disney princess grace to it.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by indigo_dave

Z

I'll throw in another take. In case no one else stated it this way. A D half diminished to C major assuming they are both in root position (things like this really really need to be notated so that every one is on the same notation page).........the D half diminishted has an Ab leading a half step down to G AND an F leading a half step down to E. Also, of course the D moving down a step.

As stated above a V I would only have ONE half step leading tone - a B leading to a C. I'd say 2 half step leading tones vs one half step leading tone sounds more strongly resolved.

That makes sense. I looked at it as the extension of the lowered 7th. I know it's used a-lot; when you described it, it made it seem so plain and logical.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
emelton: You are correct. I misread the OP as talking about D dim, not D half diminished, which, as a jazz player, I just treated as a D diminished 7th chord. The use of a diminished 7th chord as a sub for a 7b9 chord, as I'm sure you know, is so common I just missed what was actually being asked!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by jjo
emelton: You are correct. I misread the OP as talking about D dim, not D half diminished, which, as a jazz player, I just treated as a D diminished 7th chord. The use of a diminished 7th chord as a sub for a 7b9 chord, as I'm sure you know, is so common I just missed what was actually being asked!

thanks

H
H
I have to agree with Simon_b. In this case the D half dim is really a rootless voicing (with tensions) of the G or V chord.
In your LH, play a lower G note, in your RH, the D half dim. The D is the fifth, the F is the flat seventh, the A flat is the flat ninth and the C is the (suspended) eleventh. You have the option of dropping the sus 11 to B, which is the third of G and then raising it again as you resolve the whole business to your C chord.

Good music has no expiration date.

1920 Mason & Hamlin Model A
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
I spent some time with this chord. The beauty of this chord is it's ambiguity.

It's usually heard as a locrian - which is also the Mixolydian +9th in first inversion.

It's also the ii chord of the parallel harmonic minor

Thirdly, as some have said here, it can be an altered V chord in its own right.

You can also use it as the ii to a V chord.

It really opens up a huge world of non traditional opportunities and gives an edge to your changes. I just love it.

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 03/24/21 05:32 AM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
In olden times before the half-diminshed chord existed (ie 1930s) they used to think of Dm7b5 as an inversion of Fm6 but with the D in the bass. Both chords share the same notes (D F Ab C) so you can think of the chord in whichever way fits best. If you conceptualise the chord as Fm6 then related to C major it is a subdominant minor, which is pretty common in a major key. Lots of tunes have that movement.

It's usually heard as a locrian - which is also the Mixolydian +9th in first inversion.

You have lost me there

Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by beeboss
In olden times before the half-diminshed chord existed (ie 1930s) they used to think of Dm7b5 as an inversion of Fm6 but with the D in the bass. Both chords share the same notes (D F Ab C) so you can think of the chord in whichever way fits best. If you conceptualise the chord as Fm6 then related to C major it is a subdominant minor, which is pretty common in a major key. Lots of tunes have that movement.

You have lost me there

Modally the half diminished is the seventh mode. Example in C, its b half dim. If you take G7 (myxolydian) and take away the root and add a 9th, viola - the half diminished,

Your Fm6 resolving to C maj, so you can have the sequence D half dim, Fm6, CM =- that's an interesting progression too.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Modally the half diminished is the seventh mode. Example in C, its b half dim. If you take G7 (myxolydian) and take away the root and add a 9th, viola - the half diminished,

Oh I see what you mean, although in this case you could be better off thinking that the Dm7b5 is chord 2 in Cmin and then using D locrian natural 9th scale ;-)
So many possibilities!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission