2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
28 members (Colin Miles, aphexdisklavier, Animisha, busa, brennbaer, CyberGene, bxrdad1, 6 invisible), 388 guests, and 554 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ubu Offline OP
OP Offline
Reading gearslutz and other forums about music production it always comes the issue about room acoustics, and they always emphasize the importance of setting acoustic elements such as bass traps, diffusors and so on in order to get good sound. Those of you who have grand pianos at home also try to treat the accoustics of your room?

G
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
G
No I don't. But it is best for your piano room to have a decent mix of reflective and absorbent materials otherwise any instrument played in it will sound poor, I call that 'appropriate room decoration' rather than 'acoustic treatment'. If the room sound good for your hifi it'll probably sound good for your piano.

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
I don’t set my music room up like a recording studio, bug rather like a home music room. Therefore, no acoustic panels, bad traps, etc.

The room is furnished with chairs, pillows, etc.,,large area rug and thick pad under the piano. I certainly would have added the official acoustic modification route if it would have been needed — but it wasn’t.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
With rugs, drapes and book cases you can accomplish much to adjust the sound of a room. If you're going to be recording for professional release then you might want to do more, but bear in mind most of the serious room treatments you've read about are for control rooms (mixing, mastering and listening) not where the playing happens. In a recording situation the piano will usually live out in the studio which is usually quite reverberant. Care will have been taken to eliminate parallel walls and add diffusion to avoid coherent reflections so the room sounds nice, but the reverberation of the room can be controlled by how close the microphones are placed to the strings. The closer the mics, the less room sound.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree that normal room furnishings like rugs, couches, and pillows should be sufficient. Bookshelves full of books are also great (listen to how good NPR's Tiny Desk concerts sound in their offices full of books), as are curtains on windows, or at least blinds that can open and act as baffles. A room without no or little furniture, however, probably will be echoey and not sound good. For example, my last grand piano lived in my well-furnished living room and sounded nice and tight. After selling it to my friend who moved it into his new build house down the street (similar house to mine, same builder), he has it in his living room with no couch and little furniture. While his minimalist furnishings look cool and modern, the acoustics are pretty bad and the piano no fun to listen to.

I did add one acoustic treatment in my living room, however, which was to hang wave-shaped acoustic foam panels on the ceiling above the piano. That and a thick area rug under the piano really helped focus the sound for me.

Daily driver: Kawai MP11SE
First crush: Kawai GL10
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Ubu Offline OP
OP Offline
According to what i have read from the people that produces music, the need for accoustic treatment in their studios does not come from the nature of the activity they do there, e.g. recording, mixing, mastering or whatever, but instead from the volume of the sound. Working at high volumes creates all those problems of reflecting sound waves that have to be treated. At lower volumes there is no need for that, but obviously the people in music industry works with higher volumes. Anyway, the piano we all know is capable to a great amount of volume so I think almost any room would benefit from some kind of treatment.

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
‘Official’ acoustic treatment may not be needed; if it not needed, how would it benefit a room?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
P
P
For me it’s indispensable to treat the room due to hardwood floors and loud piano. In addition to rugs and pillows that others suggested, I have also used foam for the underside of the piano with great results. During practice I close the lid and cover the top with a thick piano cover (I use comforter for now). See my previous post.

Last edited by Pooya; 03/11/21 07:53 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ubu
According to what i have read from the people that produces music, the need for accoustic treatment in their studios does not come from the nature of the activity they do there, e.g. recording, mixing, mastering or whatever, but instead from the volume of the sound. Working at high volumes creates all those problems of reflecting sound waves that have to be treated. At lower volumes there is no need for that, but obviously the people in music industry works with higher volumes. Anyway, the piano we all know is capable to a great amount of volume so I think almost any room would benefit from some kind of treatment.

This will all depend on how you want your room and recordings to sound. I like a tight sound with minimal room ambience, and the furnishings and whatnot in my living room give me that. If you preferred more room sound, you would want to reduce some of the stuff I have in there. I doubt you'd want to add acoustic treatment in that case.

I don't know if acoustic treatment can reduce the actual decibel level coming from the piano. However, it can reduce the echoes that make the sound unpleasant and discordant, and perhaps that will make it seem less loud.

Daily driver: Kawai MP11SE
First crush: Kawai GL10
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
My piano room is quite large, though the ceiling is not high. It has a fully fitted carpet, and the whole far end of the room is the window which is covered by full-length curtains. I always play the piano with the lid fully open. I have no problem whatsoever acoustically. There is certainly no need for acoustic treatment of the room.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Simple, for a 130 size German piano all you need is a good sized carpet and underfeldt, furnishings , pictures, curtains etc. Similar for a baby or regular sized grand.
Depending on the size and shape of the room and the piano.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/12/21 12:20 AM. Reason: missing text
Ubu Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Emery Wang
Originally Posted by Ubu

This will all depend on how you want your room and recordings to sound. I like a tight sound with minimal room ambience, and the furnishings and whatnot in my living room give me that. If you preferred more room sound, you would want to reduce some of the stuff I have in there. I doubt you'd want to add acoustic treatment in that case.

I don't know if acoustic treatment can reduce the actual decibel level coming from the piano. However, it can reduce the echoes that make the sound unpleasant and discordant, and perhaps that will make it seem less loud.
Sorry i didn't explain it properly. The goal of acoustic treatment is not to reduce the volume. Decibels inside the room are the same after and before treatment. What they reduce are the wave reflections, so the sound becomes less blurry, more thick and precise.

I highly doubt that there is a single piano room in the world that wouldn't benefit from some acoustic treatment, given how the sound of a piano changes when we apply over it small changes such as open or close lid, voicing hammers, placement in the room. And when the makers decide the kind of wood for the soundboard or the rim, or the scale design, that's also acoustics. It's all about acoustics actually. I recognize you can get ok results with a rug under and not much more. But i also see people that just an ok result is not enough for them. Many people has already an ok piano and change it for another one because they want better sound. Or complain that the piano at dealership sounded much better that once in their living room. I think it is incoherent spending tens of thousands on a piano, and then not spending a small fraction of that on a bunch of acoustic panels, that will improve the musicality a lot (unless decorative reasons involved).

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have done a little bit in the music room. It had an oak beamed ceiling. The way this had been done led to quite a lot of noise transfer from the music room to the room above. So I had the beams underdrawn with plasterboard and filled the void with fibreglass insulation. This also had some effect on the room acoustics. I wanted to keep the room looking like an ordinary room. So I tried to disrupt flat surfaces with pictures. I have 10 pictures on the walls in total. They are all piano themed except for one. De to the positioning of the window my piano really can go in only one spot. That puts it parallel to a wall and with the lid up, my preferred way of playing, the sound hits that opposite wall square on. I didn't like the wall. It has a double power point and thee socket for LAN, neither of which can e treated as a feature. So I got a 2 metre by 2 metre tapestry. That masks the eyesores and seems to have dampened the sound somewhat. There are some cupboards built into the walls. Some of these I have filled with soft material. On the inside of the doors I have also added padding. Should I ever feel the need these can be opened, again breaking up the shape of the room and providing more damping.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Since my pianos have always been placed in the great room or main living area and I have never really recorded my playing, I’ve never added acoustic treatments for the pianos. I’ve never had to quiet a grand for neighbors. I love always been quite happy with how my piano sounds in my home.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Painted ebony keys problem
by grand_BB_71 - 05/07/21 12:42 AM
Hide under piano during earthquake
by twocats - 05/07/21 12:18 AM
1998 Steinway 1098 plate - "P" vs "45"
by pwl - 05/06/21 11:19 PM
Returning/exchanging a new piano
by Fortissima - 05/06/21 10:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,761
Posts3,090,615
Members101,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission