2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
84 members (ambrozy, Bruce In Philly, c++, brdwyguy, AlphaBravoCharlie, 24 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 633 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3090990 03/09/21 03:52 PM
A
alexii Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows what Horowitz's Steinway is up to nowadays?? I've been particularly obsessed with Horowitz recordings for the past few years and, whilst I assume (sadly) that the action has long been taken out, I'd still love to see the piano that once belonged to the legendary pianist.

I've seen videos of people playing it and to what I could see, it was on a tour of North America a few years ago. Does it ever visit Europe?

Hopefully it's still out there somewhere... I'm sad enough that my lifetime didn't overlap with Horowitz's, hopefully I'll still get to see that blasted Steinway at least.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I don't know where it is now, but I was fortunate to have been able to examine that piano when it came back from Horowitz's apt. and was at the factory prior to "reconditioning". I saw it again at Vanderbilt after the restoration department had gone over it. It was completely different in terms of sound and feel than when it was set up for Horowitz.
Regard,s

A
alexii Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Amazing, did you have a chance to play it? I'm very sad that it was ''restored'' and I wish that it had been "captured" in its original state. I'd really like to know what it was like to play, how the action felt etc. I'm sure there's so many more subtleties to it than simply having a lighter action.

K
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
K
The Steinway concert grands that Horowitz recorded on in the 1940s and 1950s are amazing sounding. To me, they are the standard for Steinway sound.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
I don't know where it is now, but I was fortunate to have been able to examine that piano when it came back from Horowitz's apt. and was at the factory prior to "reconditioning". I saw it again at Vanderbilt after the restoration department had gone over it. It was completely different in terms of sound and feel than when it was set up for Horowitz.
Regard,s

The Horowitz piano makes the piano dealer rounds every few years; you might ask your local dealer if they can let you know if it has been scheduled. You might also find a newspaper notice. Anyone can play it by making an appointment.

I played it about three years ago, it was thrilling to play on s piano he played, but there was no attempt made to replicate the rebuild to the original . That was disappointing

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by alexii
Amazing, did you have a chance to play it? I'm very sad that it was ''restored'' and I wish that it had been "captured" in its original state. I'd really like to know what it was like to play, how the action felt etc. I'm sure there's so many more subtleties to it than simply having a lighter action.

Very light, very bright, late dampers. It was a brittle sounding piano and had very little tonal range. but a lot of sustain. . Very lively soundboard, though it was nearly flat in the center section. Not at all near any standard STeinway I have seen, but it was a custom set up for an old, old, man.
Regards,

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Simply wanted to add here a one-of-a-kind performance of a
well known Scriabin etude:

Who else can play this piece with such impact?

Horowitz will always be the best!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I played it years ago. It was very light and responsive. The key dip was noticeable shallower than standard.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very light, very bright, late dampers. It was a brittle sounding piano and had very little tonal range. but a lot of sustain. . Very lively soundboard, though it was nearly flat in the center section. Not at all near any standard STeinway I have seen, but it was a custom set up for an old, old, man.
Regards,

Originally Posted by DanS
I played it years ago. It was very light and responsive. The key dip was noticeable shallower than standard.

It makes one wonder what Horowitz would have thought of a fine digital action with Pianoteq... no doubt he would have worked magic with it.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navindra
Regards,

Originally Posted by DanS

It makes one wonder what Horowitz would have thought of a fine digital action with Pianoteq... no doubt he would have worked magic with it.

Yes, he would work magic with it but that is not the same as what his opinion would be.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
A
alexii Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I wonder if it would be possible to replicate Horowitz's piano nowadays? Could one ask their piano technician to attempt this? I think it's a shame that the knowledge of how such a piano was prepared will one day be lost to history.

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Regard,s

Thank you for the post, Ed. I also saw the piano after it was “reconditioned”. It was vanilla - a bit bland. Not a terrible piano, but nothing different or excellent about it. It was very different from its first tour.

So young players will one day think that Horowitz preferred a bland piano. How disappointing.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Regard,s

Thank you for the post, Ed. I also saw the piano after it was “reconditioned”. It was vanilla - a bit bland. Not a terrible piano, but nothing different or excellent about it. It was very different from its first tour.

So young players will one day think that Horowitz preferred a bland piano. How disappointing.

I tried it once (pre restoration) and it was very light and very bright. I have used his piano as a way of describing piano setups for different situations. Horowitz needed his piano light and bright to play maximum projection with minimal effort, hit the back row of the concert hall. Also, so he could hear his own piano. This is not how I would have that piano set up in a home, but for the concert stage, it (apparently) was perfect.

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
M
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
M
His student Eduardus Halim apparently chose it for his debut at the 92d St Y, against the advice of Horowitz and just about everyone else. It blew the roof off, and not in a good way. Horowitz definitely had it set for the Metropolitan Opera and places of that scale.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
His student Eduardus Halim apparently chose it for his debut at the 92d St Y, against the advice of Horowitz and just about everyone else. It blew the roof off, and not in a good way. Horowitz definitely had it set for the Metropolitan Opera and places of that scale.

Haha. The 92nd St Y is a small hall, I can only imagine. I saw Angela Hewitt play a Fazioli piano from the third row at the 92nd St Y and I was not blown away.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by LarryK

Haha. The 92nd St Y is a small hall, I can only imagine. I saw Angela Hewitt play a Fazioli piano from the third row at the 92nd St Y and I was not blown away.

I don't think that this was "the" Horowitz piano i.e. the one actually had in his home and used on his tours through Europe between 1985 and 1987. I believe in Halim's case we are talking about the one piano that was more or less reserved for Horowitz by the Steinway Concert and Artist department. This one can be identified by the single "STEINWAY" on the fallboard as opposed to the "STEINWAY&SONS" on his private piano.

Franz Mohr told me that Horowitz demanded a special treatment of the hammers of the C&A piano with lots of lacquer in them to make the piano brighter and more brilliant, specifically for his 1978 orchestra appearance, but also for the subsequent 1982 London recitals and the dreadful series of recitals in 1983. He did this against all better advice from Mohr - and the results were not pretty.

I played the real Horowitz piano in Berlin with Mohr's permission before his second Berlin recital in 1986. I found it rather mellow and extremely well regulated and very consistently voiced. A beautiful piano, but not a mythical beast. Horowitz himself was the one to bring out the magic in sound. The piano I played had nothing to do with the one I saw and heard Horowitz play a day later in the Philharmonic Hall.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Fascinating. I think players can be mythical beasts but not pianos, but that is just my opinion.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
I had hoped to see it on its last tour, but wasn't able to. If it passed though my area (DC Metro), it did so before I realized it was out. I tried to contrive a trip to NYC to see it up there, but it didn't work out for one reason or another. frown

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

R
R
Interesting. I happened to stumble across this interview of Franz Mohr, where he discusses servicing Horowitz's pianos and mentions how Horowitz's tastes changed over the years, moving to a more mellow sound: http://www.bruceduffie.com/mohr.html

Originally Posted by OE1FEU
Originally Posted by LarryK

I don't think that this was "the" Horowitz piano i.e. the one actually had in his home and used on his tours through Europe between 1985 and 1987. I believe in Halim's case we are talking about the one piano that was more or less reserved for Horowitz by the Steinway Concert and Artist department. This one can be identified by the single "STEINWAY" on the fallboard as opposed to the "STEINWAY&SONS" on his private piano.

Franz Mohr told me that Horowitz demanded a special treatment of the hammers of the C&A piano with lots of lacquer in them to make the piano brighter and more brilliant, specifically for his 1978 orchestra appearance, but also for the subsequent 1982 London recitals and the dreadful series of recitals in 1983. He did this against all better advice from Mohr - and the results were not pretty.

I played the real Horowitz piano in Berlin with Mohr's permission before his second Berlin recital in 1986. I found it rather mellow and extremely well regulated and very consistently voiced. A beautiful piano, but not a mythical beast. Horowitz himself was the one to bring out the magic in sound. The piano I played had nothing to do with the one I saw and heard Horowitz play a day later in the Philharmonic Hall.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,265
Posts3,117,115
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission