2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (antune, Beansparrow, CyberGene, Bill McKaig,RPT, AlphaBravoCharlie, Attempt1, CharlesXX, brdwyguy, BorisWasBezet, 11 invisible), 1,375 guests, and 632 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
fibbi Offline OP
OP Offline
F
As I mentioned in another post, I am looking for new piano. Now the question is whether sell it or keep the old one? I do have space for the extra piano. Honestly I love the look of this piano, but the sound...hm... would you please give some opinion about the sound? Would you keep it, or list it? Assuming I sell it, does it worth anything?

Thanks a lot!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I can't really tell enough from the recording to have an opinion about this piano in particular, but the only reason I would say you want to keep two pianos is if there's something clear indication that both piano will actually be played. Would they be in the same rooms for two piano music? Or would they be in different rooms, so maybe one could be used for more private practice or practice at times of day when you want to avoid disturbing others?

Otherwise, I would guess that people will play the one that sounds the best.

When we moved back to the US and were in an apartment for several years, I had a digital piano. When we moved into a house and I got an upright again, I kept the digital, thinking I'd play it either to play with headphones or make recordings etc. I literally probably played the digital twice in the 5 or years that I had both a digital and an upright. So when I bought my grand, I sold the digital as well as the upright.

So that's where my take on this comes from.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
By the way, what kind of piano is that?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
It is hard to assess the sound from this video because it is in mono.

To approximate what you hear, it should have been recorded in ORTF, etc. technique.

Of course the mics should have been placed at the listener's position. Not close to the strings as in the above link.

If we were to listen to such a recording with headphones we would be hearing probably something close to what you hear live.

On a second note, I would not place the mic stand on top of the piano. Because it is taking some very slight thump noise alongside the music.

Last edited by Hakki; 03/07/21 08:22 PM.
M
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
M
Pleasant tone but hard to tell how responsive it is, etc. Is this trade bait for the new machine?

K
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
K
Definitely keep the pianist!

If you need or would like a second piano, I don't see anything wrong with keeping this one, especially since you like the way it looks.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
You don't have to make the decision right away! Once you get the new piano you can wait a while and see if you get any value from keeping the old piano smile

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
F
fibbi Offline OP
OP Offline
F
ShiroKuro: it's a 40 years old Karl Muller (I kept thinking of it's a Kawaii at one point until I look again... ) . If I keep them both, they won't be side by side. And you give very good point that I doubt the old one will be played once I have the new one. If they can be side by side then more chances of playing duet pieces. But if they are in different room then it's not going to happen.

Hakki: Thank you the video but honestly it's too advance for me. I don't have the equipment nor the software. And I now think my ear has some problem? I can't really tell mono and stereo (from that video)? I kinda can hear some different but even the mono sounds like what I hear in the room live. weird...
Regarding mic placement, I tried to place on the side (besides the piano) but sound is too soft. I don't have a long cable I have to put it close to where I shoot the video. And the middle of piano is the farthest I can place the mic. The slight thump noise...I don't like it either but I was hoping the tuner can take care of that noise. Because I can hear even lid closed. Now the piano is already tuned but still have this noise. I have to stick with that noise now.

Maestro Lennie: the touch is so light I actually don't really like it. Hard to play soft ... For the year of this piano...don't seem to worth a lot.

Keith D Kerman: Of course I"m keeping the PIANIST!!! She's not old enough to move out yet :P

Twocats: I'd prefer if i make up my mind sooner (before I got my new piano) so that I don't need to move around furniture to accomodate the old one.

W
W
Originally Posted by twocats
You don't have to make the decision right away! Once you get the new piano you can wait a while and see if you get any value from keeping the old piano smile

I second this ... although it sounds from your last post you would like to make a decision now? If you have a real attachment to this existing piano, keep it. You said you have the room. However, if the attachment is just for looks, why not find someone else to enjoy it and you enjoy your new piano? As was stated previously, the preferred piano will be the one played so no sense in owning two unless you have a specific purpose.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by fibbi
the touch is so light I actually don't really like it. Hard to play soft ... For the year of this piano...don't seem to worth a lot.

If you don't like the piano, I think you should get rid of it. I don't think it's worth much either but maybe someone else will enjoy getting their first piano smile

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Fibbi, you might try listening to the recording techniques video with ear/head phones to hear the difference between mono and stereo.

H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Forgot to say that, you should put your iPhone on Airplane Mode while recording. Otherwise there might be extra noises from network interference.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I have heard much worse pianos than that, it certainly sounds vastly better than the recording of your keyboard that you posted earlier to demonstrate the new microphone!

With (at least) two pianists in the house and space available you might have a use for it. If not and it is just clutter far better to let someone else have it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was going to suggest that you place the microphone behind the piano about 18" or so. Get as many USB extension cables as you need to reach...

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
F
fibbi Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
I was going to suggest that you place the microphone behind the piano about 18" or so. Get as many USB extension cables as you need to reach...
18" behind the piano means about the same location where a person plays the piano? Or the "wall side" you mean? So far I have no luck with the USB cable. I have searched Amazon for cable or adapter I found next to none. The best I can find is the Apogee 2m cable and I am getting that. Not sure how long it takes to ship. Probably by the time it reaches my town it will be a month later.

Gwing: Btw that keyboard demo is made right after I got the mic in the afternoon! I can't test it with my piano because my husband is still working in the piano room. Good to know that you find the sound better than the keyboard demo!

Z
Z
Originally Posted by gwing
I have heard much worse pianos than that, it certainly sounds vastly better than the recording of your keyboard that you posted earlier to demonstrate the new microphone!

With (at least) two pianists in the house and space available you might have a use for it. If not and it is just clutter far better to let someone else have it.
+1

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added: Beethoven woo80 var1-3 arpeggio test
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Keeping your old piano depends on how well you like it, and whether or not you have room for it, without it being in the way, or just taking up space that could be used for something else. As Dr. ShiroKuro said, you really only need one piano. But there are other members here on PW who own more than one piano.

As for me, (and I'm an oddball or sort, for better or worse smile ) I currently have 8 acoustic pianos and a digital piano. My best pianos are in my house, two grand pianos in my music room (a Yamaha C7 and a Baldwin R), and an upright (Kawai K48A) in my living room. And, yes, I do play all three on a regular basis, but I do have a favorite. There is a convenience/benefit to having more than one piano in your house, even though you may have a favorite, if you have the room. My C7 is my favorite, but I also like the Baldwin R, and play it often as well. I also play the Kawai upright almost daily, depending on my mood and what room I happen to be in at the time. I like the looks of all three, even if I never played any of them.

My other pianos are in my small piano shop built on to my detached garage, and the walls and ceilings are insulated, with a humidifier that runs 24/7/365. The piano shop is 10 feet X 20 feet with a tall, sloping ceiling, 10 feet at the high end and 8 feet at the low end. I have an older Howard/Kawai 550 grand, a 100 year old Wellington upright (Bessie), a Howard Miller spinet, and a Cable console. The spinet and the console are family heirlooms, but still playable, and in tune; not sure what the future holds for them just yet. I also keep my digital piano in my piano shop, as well as my Yamaha PA system, and I play the digital fairly often.

My piano shop is getting a bit cluttered, and I gave the Howard grand to my granddaughter when she was 12 years old and taking piano lessons. The piano lessons didn't last long, and she's now 17 years old, and my son has yet to come and get the Howard grand, but says they still want it when he can find room in his house.

I have another 100 year old Conover upright in my detached garage (not in my piano shop) that has been exposed to too much humidity and is no longer a viable musical instrument. So, it has come to end of its journey, which eventually happens to all pianos, to some extent. But I enjoyed it for a while, and made a few music videos of me playing the old Conover upright before it was too far gone.

That is probably way more info than you were interested in hearing. But the point I wanted to make is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with having more than one piano in your home, if you have the room. And, the piano in your video does look nice, and is a nice piece of furniture, as well as a decent sounding piano. And, your daughter is lovely, and plays well to be so young!

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Another consider would be whether you'll likely be buying your new (or used) piano from a dealer. There's a decent chance a dealer would take your old piano as a trade. Not necessarily a better deal than you'd get from putting ads on craigslist/pianomart, but a lot less hassle.

F
fibbi Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by tend to rush
Another consider would be whether you'll likely be buying your new (or used) piano from a dealer. There's a decent chance a dealer would take your old piano as a trade. Not necessarily a better deal than you'd get from putting ads on craigslist/pianomart, but a lot less hassle.

This dealer that I mostly end up buying from, do not take the old one, especially this is a 40 years old piano. If it worths $200/$300 I may as well sell it through friends first, then craigslist.

B
BDB Offline
B
That piano is new enough that it should have some considerable value on the private seller market, probably in the $1-2,000 Canadian range.

Semipro Tech
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
(Post?)modern piano
by meghdad - 07/24/21 05:04 AM
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,178
Posts3,115,905
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission