2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (Baltguy, AndyE, Animisha, danielp11, Beemer, c++, Chapitrilfo, CyberGene, ando, 9 invisible), 574 guests, and 550 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pworld Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I've played for decades and then realized, after some experimentation, that the traditional fingering for the right hand arpeggios starting on every white key with the exception of B is wrong. C, D, E, F, G, A all are easier if you start with the 2nd finger, not the thumb as we've been traditionally taught. Of course some music will dictate starting with a thumb because of the hand position in a previous passage/phrase but that's no reason we should be doing arpeggios wrong. Compare how much your wrist moves or wants to move when starting with the thumb and starting with the 2nd finger. F-sharp may also be better for some starting with the 2nd finger. I'm surprised that the Einsteins that decided on this fingering also didn't opt for starting the right hand arpeggios on D-flat, E-flat, A-flat an B-flat with the thumb as well! Why not when you're searching for the worst way of doing something?!

When we compare the left hand its very different. Its logical. I find this perplexing.
Just shows us to always question everything. Tradition sucks. Its a lazy, sloppy excuse for not trying something that could be better.

I've refingered several pieces I've played for decades after playing each group of notes/phrases with every possibility of fingering imaginable. It took hours for a typical 3-5 minute piece of music. I found some of the fingering suggestions in the sheet music weren't even close to what was ideal. Most were good. I should mention my hands are of average size for a male and I can do 9th's easily but 10th's barely.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
E
E
Just to understand what you mean, could you give an example? I assume that with traditional fingering, you mean 1 2 3 1 2 3 for c e g c e g, right? But I don't see how you would play this starting with 2. Would you place the thumb on the g then?

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pworld
I've played for decades and then realized, after some experimentation, that the traditional fingering for the right hand arpeggios starting on every white key with the exception of B is wrong.

I'm surprised that the Einsteins that decided on this fingering also didn't opt for starting the right hand arpeggios on D-flat, E-flat, A-flat an B-flat with the thumb as well! Why not when you're searching for the worst way of doing something?!

Tradition sucks. Its a lazy, sloppy excuse for not trying something that could be better.
You are right, as always.

Einstein knew nothing, not even about string theory (which is so obvious).

As for tradition:

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
My teacher taught me the better fingering over 25 years ago. You may have just realized that your teacher was not effective at arpeggio fingering. It's very hard to admit you've received inferior instruction, but at least now you've seen the light.

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Csndywoman
I am confused by the suggested fingering:
For one octave arpeggios c major, 1 23 5
For multiple octave, 2 3 1 2 3 etc
???

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
B
B
Originally Posted by dogperson
Hi Csndywoman
I am confused by the suggested fingering:
For one octave arpeggios c major, 1 23 5
For multiple octave, 2 3 1 2 3 etc
???
I think what they mean is 2-1-2-4-1-2-4 for C major and 2-3-1-2-3-1-2 for D major.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I think @pworld meant playing CEGC (right hand) with 2412. So called Chopin's fingering.

E
E
Well 2-3-1 makes more sense. Then it's the exact mirror image of the left hand. I did this for F# major already. It's easier to play then the traditional fingering.
I also found that for the chords with two black keys on the outside and one white key on the inside (D flat major, F# minor), 2-1-2-3-1-2-3 etc works better then 2-1-2-4-1-2-4 (right hand). Especially on "the way back". I used to play it with 4, but I hit a speed limit with that.

S
S
Could it be that the answer might also include physiognomic properties (finger length, hand size)...to come to the right answer? I think so.

I’ve tried it.

I like it, it is so much more fluid for me, and if this is the way Chopin did it, then it is good enough for me.

The hard is what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!
Tom Hanks
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The principle here seems to suggest that the largest interval in the arpeggio, the fourth, is played by fingers 1 and 2. That is also where the hand, whatever one's individual anatomy, can play the widest interval between two adjacent fingers. That is, in the key of C major: C:2, E:3, G:1, C:2, etc. In other words, the interval of the fourth between G and C is played by the thumb (1) and 2.
This would work for all arpeggios starting on white keys except B major.

This is what the left hand does in arpeggios starting on a white key: the interval of the fourth is played by fingers 1 and 2. in C major G:2, C:1

It makes sense, once one gets used to not ending the ascending right hand arpeggio on 5, a very well-ingrained habit!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
A
Originally Posted by pworld
I've played for decades and then realized, after some experimentation, that the traditional fingering for the right hand arpeggios starting on every white key with the exception of B is wrong. C, D, E, F, G, A all are easier if you start with the 2nd finger, not the thumb as we've been traditionally taught. Of course some music will dictate starting with a thumb because of the hand position in a previous passage/phrase but that's no reason we should be doing arpeggios wrong. Compare how much your wrist moves or wants to move when starting with the thumb and starting with the 2nd finger. F-sharp may also be better for some starting with the 2nd finger. I'm surprised that the Einsteins that decided on this fingering also didn't opt for starting the right hand arpeggios on D-flat, E-flat, A-flat an B-flat with the thumb as well! Why not when you're searching for the worst way of doing something?!

When we compare the left hand its very different. Its logical. I find this perplexing.
Just shows us to always question everything. Tradition sucks. Its a lazy, sloppy excuse for not trying something that could be better.

I've refingered several pieces I've played for decades after playing each group of notes/phrases with every possibility of fingering imaginable. It took hours for a typical 3-5 minute piece of music. I found some of the fingering suggestions in the sheet music weren't even close to what was ideal. Most were good. I should mention my hands are of average size for a male and I can do 9th's easily but 10th's barely.

I wouldn’t say it is wrong.
Of course, it will depend on the passage or piece. Still, especially if we assume playing 3-4 octaves of arpeggios (both ways), it would be very unpractical to start with the second finger ( 2 3 1 2 3...) because we need to switch the position more often, compared to the traditional option as we have to eliminate the 5th finger in the last octave, which will effect the speed.

Last edited by antune; 04/02/21 09:05 PM.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Got myself a Roland UM-ONE MK II
by EVC2017 - 05/08/21 09:51 AM
Putting my new-old piano in order
by SpareKeys - 05/08/21 09:40 AM
Pop songs I learnt as a kid
by KevinM - 05/08/21 07:37 AM
Question for pros - Hiring orchestra?
by trigalg693 - 05/08/21 01:49 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,792
Posts3,091,122
Members101,450
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission