2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (3B43, CaseyVancouver, c++, brdwyguy, butchkoch, 15 invisible), 535 guests, and 565 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3089994 03/06/21 05:54 PM
peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Apologies to any ladies present. Leave this posting now!
Joking apart, some of us have a few - nay, more than a few probs wi' catarrgh this time of year when the cold and damp conspires to increase dramatically my intolerance of all and sundry whilst divesting my missus of kitchen towels which quickly fill (literally) the large flip-lid bin we have in that room.
I use my foot to engineer space for other items. When she's not looking.

The piano bit.

It also affects my smell, taste, and . . . hearing.
So I attempt to play my little electronic devices and they sound - all of them - totally 'orrible. Every day they sound different. Pianoteq output is affected more than the piano's native sounds somehow.
I know from experience that any alteration to these sounds will quickly be a waste of time as the condition lessens with time, and climate change. I'd have to change 'em all again.

Anybody else affected by this or similar? Your thoughts are welcome!

Last edited by peterws; 03/06/21 05:56 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Had to read this three times to understand it 😀 I can only imagine if it was not written and you spoke in the particular Northern English accent you use... Reminds me how I felt when I visited Ireland in 2005 when my English was even worse than now. I couldn’t get a single familiar word. Sounded like a mix between a middle eastern language and a dog barking to me 🤣

Anyway. Two things. Are you sure it’s not COVID? Second, yeah, I think I hear piano differently when my nose is runny (and I have no smell/taste).

P.S. Ohh, how I forgot the pun. Now you know what “nasal” (congestion) means in a Pianoteq context 😀

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/06/21 07:08 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Physical and psychological state, body and mind when I sit for a practice session, certainly affects what I hear. Some of my patterns when I feel sick or have a bad headache:

I am usually a little cranky in the morning, even when I am downing my 20oz flask of coffee. Add sickness on top: I didn't change the volume last night when I switched off, but the sound that comes out is way too loud. My room is always quiet, so this is not the quiet of the morning.

And what's with those high octaves, they sounded so beautiful last session now they sound like a stick?

Time to switch piano selection? Yeah that sounds better. Wonder what happened to the beautiful Garritan CFX sound?

There's no sound like the Steinway. I am NEVER going to change this setting.

That Steinway feels like darts thrown into my ears. I hate it. Time for good old Garritan.

I also suffer from migraines, but I don't sit at the piano when I am having an episode.

Last edited by mmathew; 03/06/21 07:31 PM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Not fair, Peter!!!@?!!*&%$3!**

I was beguiled by the title of the thread into thinking this was an elevated discourse on snot rockets! laugh I got out my calculator, graph paper, and slide rule to begin to calculate parabolic flight curves and play with quadratic formulae! cool But, it turns out, it's just another thread about........ uh, pianos..... cry

Last edited by Ralphiano; 03/06/21 07:36 PM.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I was thinking the same thing, Ralphiano, though I wasn't exactly expecting an "elevated discourse". I just wanted a bit of science.

But thanks to peterws we now know what Modart was trying to accomplish. They wanted to produce an instrument that simulates what a person hears when his nasal congestion has gone nuclear. I'd say they were successful. smile

peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
It was a fairly serious question. I'm back on the 515s natural voices and enjoying them a lot more now. So SuperMac isn't totally incorrect in his assumptions here. For once.
I put it down to perrenial Rhinitis. The Quack just agrees wi me . . . .but I stopped eating strawberries and raspberries and it went away for a couple o' years. Sigh!
But the weather's picking up. Have fun!

"[Linked Image]"
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
As for the serious question, I haven't noticed much day to day change in how it sounds to me. But, since taking on VST life a couple years ago, I have been guilty of incessant tinkering with my sound, to the point that it changes almost daily from my knob twisting and equipment changing.

Right now, I'm in a stable (for me) setup, and I'm not noticing much daily change in my sound experience with the rapidly changing weather here.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Funny isn't it? I too seem now to have a very acceptable Pianoteq sound once again. I can enjoy playing the Yamaha sounds (they sound nicem no doubt there) but every time I return to the VST fold, the difference is dramatically better.for both h'phones and speakers.
I do not want to fiddle around any more. We're due another cold spell soon, so I plan to be in denial during that time, haha. See how it goes . . .

"[Linked Image]"
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/SinuPulse-Elite-Advanced-Irrigation-System/dp/B001CWT4JI

Has done wonders to help clear my sinuses. Long story short, I'm not suppose to take antihistamines because of Prostate issues. I have had the unit above for at least 6 years and since I started using it I haven't got a sinus infection. Before I averaged over one a year. YMMV laugh

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by EPW
I use this:

Has done wonders to help clear my sinuses. Long story short, I'm not suppose to take antihistamines because of Prostate issues. I have had the unit above for at least 6 years and since I started using it I haven't got a sinus infection. Before I averaged over one a year. YMMV laugh

A friend of mine uses a low tech variant of the irrigation system and swears by it. So, I bought one a couple of years ago. I recently found it, unopened, while I was moving. I guess I'll give it a try, eventually.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
I never knew such stuff existed! Why didn't the Doc say something (other than "Next, please!")
I gave up on antihistamines. Exercise seems a good solution whiclt I'm actually doin' it, but the Gym's closed and I fell off my bike a few days ago . . . . .Don't ya just LOVE it!

"[Linked Image]"
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
Originally Posted by EPW
I use this:

A friend of mine uses a low tech variant of the irrigation system and swears by it. So, I bought one a couple of years ago. I recently found it, unopened, while I was moving. I guess I'll give it a try, eventually.
Was it a Neti pot? They are much cheaper, and probably just as effective! You do have to avoid waterboarding or drowning yourself though.

peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Excellent suggestions. Many thanks guys!

"[Linked Image]"
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I have a deviated septum and the regular Neti Pot wouldn't work for me. This unit I can start the pulse slow and as the salt gets up the nasal passage I slowly turn the flow up. It has made a great difference for me. Wish I didn't have to spend way more money but if the unit stopped working I would order another one pronto. YMMV laugh

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
Originally Posted by EPW
I use this:

Was it a Neti pot? They are much cheaper, and probably just as effective! You do have to avoid waterboarding or drowning yourself though.

Yes, that is it! Or, something very similar.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An embarassing first piano lesson
by total_beginner - 05/05/21 05:56 PM
Grand piano geometry question
by TTWK - 05/05/21 05:48 PM
Queen Elisabeth Piano Competition 2021
by AndresVel - 05/05/21 04:44 PM
Piano Serial..
by Jasper82 - 05/05/21 04:21 PM
Need Owners opinion FP-30 (X) vs AP-710
by Raelias - 05/05/21 04:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,735
Posts3,090,137
Members101,420
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission