2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (Burkey, Beansparrow, chopinetto, chopin_r_us, Animisha, clothearednincompo, Calavera, 12 invisible), 408 guests, and 567 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3089449 03/05/21 07:05 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
My old overdamper upright has pins instead of a pressure bar and 'nut'. On an upper C the third pin has caused the string to be untunable (I tried replacing the string, and then hammered the pin in more). How to repair? I've shoved a nail in sideways to act as a 'nut' but that only improves the middle string (which also started giving a problem). Anyone know a good solution? Thanks so much in advance folks!
[Linked Image]

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
That arrangement was very common on old English overdamper uprights. It's sometiems called a Top Bridge.

From the look of it, it's time that piano was gracefully retired (i.e. chopped up). It's about twice the normal working age of a piano, it's rusty, and it was cheapest of the cheap when it was barnd new, two piano lifetimes ago.....

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by David Boyce
it was cheapest of the cheap when it was barnd new,
Mind your language! It's my Pleyel

D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Sorry!

But I bet Ignaz Playel and his son Camille didn't envisage their pianos made in the late 19th century to be still playing in 2021! They would have wanted you to throw it out and buy a new Playel sixty years ago.....

You are going to have to remove the bridge pins and do something with epoxy there, I think, if you decide to try a repair.

Last edited by David Boyce; 03/05/21 02:13 PM.
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks, I know you can buy new Pleyels but they're not. Epoxy sounds like a good idea.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Is that pressure bar wood or iron? If it is iron, maybe you could try JB Weld. But you can bet that piano was not Pleyel's best effort.

Semipro Tech
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
There is no pressure bar. I just didn't know what to call the pins.

B
BDB Offline
B
What the pins are installed in is a bar of some sort which takes up the pressure: hence, pressure bar. If it is wood, you could make a new one.

Semipro Tech
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
The pins nail into the pin block. (The part of it you see is painted grey).

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Checking again the wood the pins go in is attached to the pin block. I'll do a pic

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Here's the 'bar' from the bass end. Not sure how it's fixed to the pinblock but it is wood.

[Linked Image]

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
It looks like a wooden upper bridge that is glued down. It is also splitting and probably has been like that for many decades. Removing it cleanly to replace might be difficult, but you could try a temporary repair by removing the pins, epoxy the cracks and reinsert the pins with epoxy.

I see this type of bridge from time to time and they all seem to be splitting and cracking. It is just a weak part of the design.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks that's very helpful.

D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Chris Leslie
It looks like a wooden upper bridge that is glued down. It is also splitting and probably has been like that for many decades. Removing it cleanly to replace might be difficult, but you could try a temporary repair by removing the pins, epoxy the cracks and reinsert the pins with epoxy.

I see this type of bridge from time to time and they all seem to be splitting and cracking. It is just a weak part of the design.

That's exactly what it is; a wooden upper bridge. As I said, often called a Top Bridge. Repair approaches (not something I've ever attempted) would be as you suggest, I think, Chris, and as I suggested earlier in the thread, with epoxy.

Chopin_r_us, I know that pianos with a Pleyel logo will be Chinese now. It is sad to think of Pleyel having gone the way of so many other European and UK makers - no longer manufacturing. But why do you want to keep this old cheap instrument going - is it wonderful in some way?

Last edited by David Boyce; 03/05/21 07:21 PM.
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I haven’t repaired a bridge like that but have on others that are more typical.
Remove bridge pins then Use a forstner bit to drill out the damaged bridge pin area down deep into the bridge root.
Cut a plug to fit and epoxy it in. Then shape it to match the surface of the bridge, drill new holes and carve a new notch.
Pay attention to grain pattern, match the bridge.

RPT
PTG Member
K
K
While that bridge could be repaired with epoxy or replaced with the new bridge, financially it probably makes more sense to retire the piano and find a newer one in better condition. I think you would enjoy a newer piano for its musicality. If you have enough space, you could still keep your playel as a historical artifact. (No chopping!)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I know what I would try. First, make that a two string unison. If that didn't work because the middle string is in bad shape too, I'd drill new bridge pin holes 1/4" further up and move the bridge pins up there. After that, I guess a forstner bit and plug would be an option, but that's a lot of skilled work for a piano in poor condition. Is there sentimental attachment?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
B
BDB Offline
B
One can see what has happened. Moisture got in and dripped on that part of the strings, which loosened the pins and rusted the strings. The best way to repair it, if you want to leave it as original as possible for historical reasons, would be to remove the strings and the pins, and then repair the wood. Repairing the wood is the questionable part. It depends on how bad it is. An epoxy filler might work, or carving out the bad wood and replacing it. It depends on how authentic you want the repair to be. You can remove the rust from the strings and reuse them, but keep in mind, they have a lot of wear from when the piano was new.

I cannot see under the bad pin, so I cannot be any more specific than that.

Semipro Tech
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by David Boyce
. But why do you want to keep this old cheap instrument going - is it wonderful in some way?
There is a famous quote of Chopin:
One observer remembered the composer saying that if he was not feeling on top form, he preferred to play on an Erard, for its bright and ready-made tone. ‘But if I feel alert, ready to make my fingers work without fatigue, then I prefer a Pleyel… My fingers feel in more immediate contact with the hammers, which then translate precisely and faithfully the feeling I want to produce, the effect I want to obtain.’
I understand exactly what he is saying here. Can you understand what it's like to feel what Chopin felt? The sound is not given to you on a plate, you've got to carve it out. I've played a Fasioli - wonderful sound but it's not me creating it and so it bores after a while. I'll be nipping up to pianoauctions in April to see if they've got anything better as I must admit getting it tuned every few months is a bore! Still, I'm very grateful for my tuner whose happy to take it on. Sitting next to it is my Geyer. It has a Renner action and only needs tuning once a year but it doesn't melt my heart (or float my boat if you prefer!).

Thanks for all the advice, I really apreciate it.

Oh, the tuner made it a two-string unison last time but I lose so much sound it's unacceptable. In fact, moving the bridge pins up is something I've considered. Do I drill first or hammer them in? Any suitably shapped nail do?

Last edited by chopin_r_us; 03/06/21 04:11 AM.
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BDB
One can see what has happened. Moisture got in and dripped on that part of the strings, which loosened the pins and rusted the strings. The best way to repair it, if you want to leave it as original as possible for historical reasons, would be to remove the strings and the pins, and then repair the wood. Repairing the wood is the questionable part. It depends on how bad it is. An epoxy filler might work, or carving out the bad wood and replacing it. It depends on how authentic you want the repair to be. You can remove the rust from the strings and reuse them, but keep in mind, they have a lot of wear from when the piano was new.

I cannot see under the bad pin, so I cannot be any more specific than that.

These Top Bridges are shallow in comparison to a soundboard bridge. Perhaps around 3/8" (10mm). Their function is obviously rather different; they are about speaking length termination and string spacing, not about transferring acoustic vibration to a soundboard. That being so, I guess the acoustic properties of any materials used to make a repair, would not be particularly significant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
VST velocity level questions
by Animisha - 05/18/21 03:17 AM
James compares Kawai ES110, 520, and 920
by RinTin - 05/18/21 01:54 AM
Op. 61
by chopinetto - 05/18/21 12:34 AM
Please help me to identify this song
by patto81 - 05/17/21 10:09 PM
Kawai GE 1 vs Yamaha GB1K
by Lissplayspiano - 05/17/21 09:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,000
Posts3,094,771
Members101,546
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission