2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
58 members (BrokenSymmetry, chopin_r_us, 36251, busa, BlakeOR, Charles Cohen, Bill McKaig,RPT, Chapitrilfo, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 633 guests, and 615 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I’ve been considering poking around with a second instrument either a guitar or drum pad. Piano is where I’d still put most time and effort as it’s my favorite but is there any benefit in dabbling in a second instrument?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
How about a Kalimba (Thumb Piano) ?

Last edited by trooplewis; 03/05/21 01:08 AM.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sebs
I’ve been considering poking around with a second instrument either a guitar or drum pad. Piano is where I’d still put most time and effort as it’s my favorite but is there any benefit in dabbling in a second instrument?

I only play the piano now, but as a school child, I studied many different ones and felt like they each offered something that made me a better pianist. My only question, that really only you can answer, is timing: have you didn’t enough time exploring your new genre and teacher? Consider waiting a few months, maybe. ...

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I would have thought that drumming if done correctly would improve your timing.

However, obviously some pianists have a hard time taking up the guitar as is the case here

Last edited by earlofmar; 03/05/21 04:22 AM.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
K
Hey Sebs - I am supposed to be a multi instrument player.

Some instruments do help with sight reading etc and can also assist with motivation.

Guitar - played for 40 years love them to bits - helps with understanding structures both hands involved and choice of focus on treble or Rhythm (like been said about drums)
Such a wide variety of disciplines to cover

Flute & Alto Sax - played for 20 years + both cover more or less the same range - single note (obviously) does help with reading etc. Just great for expression etc.

I would say just for the push to discover, never leave the instrument you are focused on - but by all means play play play anything and to listen listen listen.

Oh boy - do we just love music smile

No good but carry on regardless
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Hi Sebs, I’m learning 4 instruments right now, piano, sax, violin and classical guitar, in that priority. I absolutely think it’s a great idea to learn other instruments.

How much time you have to practice is definitely a consideration. Money is also another consideration, especially if you’re going to get a teacher for your second instrument.

I think there are benefits in learning another instrument. Of course, it depends on what the other instrument is but if it’s drums, you’re really going to improve your rhythm! Although drums is a very tough one due to noise concerns, if you eventually get serious with it and want to buy a full drum set.

With guitar, you might run into the issue with nails on the right hand. Do you grow them or not? If you grow them they’ll interfere with piano technique. If you don’t, your guitar technique might suffer.

Also, some instruments really help with improving your ear, such as string instruments and wind instruments due to them always needing to be in tune, and you need to consciously strive to keep them in tune.

Just throwing out some practical considerations but in the end I’d say go for it!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 03/05/21 10:20 AM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by trooplewis
How about a Kalimba (Thumb Piano) ?
Where did you even find this little humdinger? That actually looks very tricky to play.

Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by Sebs

I only play the piano now, but as a school child, I studied many different ones and felt like they each offered something that made me a better pianist. My only question, that really only you can answer, is timing: have you didn’t enough time exploring your new genre and teacher? Consider waiting a few months, maybe. ...
Yes, there's always plenty to work on with the lessons and homework and there always will be. I don't think it'll ever be "I dont have enough to do with piano" as we could play 10 hours a day and still have more to do with piano laugh This is just strictly for fun and not going to sidetrack my piano or lessons whatsoever.

Originally Posted by Killomiter
Hey Sebs - I am supposed to be a multi instrument player.

Some instruments do help with sight reading etc and can also assist with motivation.

Guitar - played for 40 years love them to bits - helps with understanding structures both hands involved and choice of focus on treble or Rhythm (like been said about drums)
Such a wide variety of disciplines to cover

Flute & Alto Sax - played for 20 years + both cover more or less the same range - single note (obviously) does help with reading etc. Just great for expression etc.

I would say just for the push to discover, never leave the instrument you are focused on - but by all means play play play anything and to listen listen listen.

Oh boy - do we just love music smile
Agree. Absolutely no intention of leaving piano ever! This is more like I did all my piano work today and want to poke around at a random time with a new toy. And yes I know I could always put that time to the piano but that's not how we all work sometimes good to venture out I think as long as it doesn't take away from the piano progress.

K
K
Sebs understood matey - in that case little money involved just have a ball I say he he smile

No good but carry on regardless

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
bouncing keys and hammers
by chopin_r_us - 05/08/21 02:41 PM
To change from Yamaha, Casio, Roland, Kawai, Korg etc...
by playplayplay - 05/08/21 02:16 PM
Pianists interviewing Pianists
by MrShed - 05/08/21 01:53 PM
Concerns about piano teacher
by Rokushji - 05/08/21 01:18 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,798
Posts3,091,223
Members101,453
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission