2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (Charline, deadlymajesty, Bostonmoores, brdwyguy, David Boyce, An Old Square, claburo, 12 invisible), 592 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Why is it so difficult to find an uright with a proper music desk instead of that flip down ledge found on most uprights?

I know that I am not the only who dislikes, in my case detests, those flimsy, cheap looking flip down ledges. I have read PW threads
going back several years when this topic would be raised periodically. In my quest for an upright, a proper, full music desk is
tops on my list.

I have passed over several really lovely sounding pianos due to the lack of a music desk. I know, I know, I'm limiting myself
but it's a must.....so far I have looked at several Kawais (ST-1, K-400) dealer didn't have the K-800, Yamaha YUS-5 (very nice, but not in my budget), Yamaha P22 (hurt my ears when playing it), Bostons (UP-120S, UP-118S) and a Bluthner model D (lovely, but not in my budget)

Does anyone know if the Kawai K-700 is available in Canada? Are the Essex EUP-123S, or EUP-116 series worth a look?

I do have a personal preference, but before I write a cheque are there any other uprights to consider, remember it must have a proper music desk.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Maybe this is what you need?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/656182386

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's what attracted me to the Charles Walter 1500 Studio in the very beginning of my research once I had my max height determined. The entire front is the music desk.

Hard to find the front being a music desk these days. Even the highest tier uprights often have those flip down things to hold music. In my case, that is much too low for me, as well. And when you try to write on scores, the books flops around. And if you work with single sheets of paper like I usually do most of the time, it doesn't work at all!

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
How about a Baldwin B252 Concert Vertical.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Top of the line Kawai K800 upright has a full music desk.

I agree about the lack of music desks in current offerings, it’s annoying because I won’t buy a piano without a full music desk - so it knocks a lot of pianos out of the running.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
M
M
I'm with you, TD—I detest those flimsy little shelves that appear even on high-end pianos. I always thought the old double-fold "Boston fallboards" that disappear under a full-width music desk with a swing-out front panel (think of an old Ivers & Pond or Poole) were the best idea for an upright—I'll never understand why they went out of style. The new Mason & Hamlin 50 has a full-width music desk. I haven't played one by many have a high regard for them.

1932 Mason & Hamlin A9
1877 Blüthner 185 cm Patent Aliquot grand
1883 Henry F. Miller pedal upright
Edward L. Kottick double-fretted clavichord
Lyndon Taylor double-fretted clavichord

L
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
The Yamaha YUS5 has an excellent music desk. I know, it is out of your price range.

Last edited by LarryK; 03/03/21 05:54 PM.
S
S
The K500 just has one of those flip out ones. But it's very large and not at all flimsy. Given the extra space and no-slip service I think it works better than the music desk style holder. The real downside for me is you can only use it when the key cover is up. Forces me to keep my piano tidy.

Last edited by Sail26; 03/03/21 06:10 PM.

Kawai K500 (2021)
Kawai 502S (1996)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
For a while, I had a Baldwin Hamilton 243, they had the music desk that goes along the enter width of the keyboard! That was such a great design!

Sorry, Tone Deaf, I know this doesn't help you! But I agree, those wimpy flip down desks are quite frustrating!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tone Deaf
Why is it so difficult to find an uright with a proper music desk instead of that flip down ledge found on most uprights?
.so far I have looked at several Kawais (ST-1, K-400) dealer didn't have the K-800, Yamaha YUS-5 (very nice, but not in my budget), Yamaha P22 (hurt my ears when playing it), Bostons (UP-120S, UP-118S) and a Bluthner model D (lovely, but not in my budget)

Does anyone know if the Kawai K-700 is available in Canada? Are the Essex EUP-123S, or EUP-116 series worth a look?

The Kawai K-700 is not imported into North America. Insufficient demand, high price. What is the problem with the K-400? It's a 48" upright with the grand piano style fallboard and music desk.

All of the Kawai K series have a long music rack that is covered in artificial suede. They work much better than most of this type. But if this cabinet style isn't what you want, then the other pianos you mentioned seemed to have what you want. The 46" tall Kawai ST-1 cabinet was specially designed with this in mind - the music rack is the full width of the piano.

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Don't know if this will work for you, but a while back I built a super wide music desk. I hate flipping pages, so always made photocopies of sheet music and taped them together. However, once a piece exceeded 8 pages, it was still too wide. What to do then?

Finally I thought of using a tablet and a foot pedal, and have never looked back. Most of my music I find online and download as PDFs. For those only in my books, I cut out the pages, scan, and save as PDFs. Now instead of a shelf full of books, I just have a tablet and a thin foot pedal. I no longer care how many pages a piece has, and use the foot pedal to turn pages. I no longer need a piano light, and I can take all my music with me anytime. In fact, when I play my grand piano, I remove the music desk and just prop my tablet up in front of the tuning pins. Love the way my piano sounds without a music desk blocking the sound.

Finally, my PDFs are all stored in Dropbox, so if I lose my tablet or my house burns down, I don't lose any sheet music. Not sure if you want to go this route, but I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Emery Wang; 03/03/21 07:32 PM.

Daily driver: Yamaha Avantgrand N1
First crush: Kawai GL10, MP11SE
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
It's not just about the score you are playing. I leave a pencil and artist eraser on my music desk. Closing the fallboard (hinged slider in my case) is not impeded by it. I often keep blank music staff paper on the far left when I'm playing to take down any interesting ideas that come up in improvisation. I always consider one of the benefits of an upright is a full width music desk-- pianos are also for composing and arranging, not just performance.

Using scores printed on single sheets from say IMSLP is another challenge.

On the other hand, I'm sure many would say they would rather put the money saved by having the middle pedal activate a practice rail and having a flip down music rest into the quality of tone and action.

S
S
Originally Posted by Emery Wang
Don't know if this will work for you, but a while back I built a super wide music desk. I hate flipping pages, so always made photocopies of sheet music and taped them together. However, once a piece exceeded 8 pages, it was still too wide. What to do then?

Finally I thought of using a tablet and a foot pedal, and have never looked back. Most of my music I find online and download as PDFs. For those only in my books, I cut out the pages, scan, and save as PDFs. Now instead of a shelf full of books, I just have a tablet and a thin foot pedal. I no longer care how many pages a piece has, and use the foot pedal to turn pages. I no longer need a piano light, and I can take all my music with me anytime. In fact, when I play my grand piano, I remove the music desk and just prop my tablet up in front of the tuning pins. Love the way my piano sounds without a music desk blocking the sound.

Finally, my PDFs are all stored in Dropbox, so if I lose my tablet or my house burns down, I don't lose any sheet music. Not sure if you want to go this route, but I highly recommend it.

This is totally what I want to do but I can't find a large enough tablet for cheap yet. The dream would be the largest e-ink reader money can buy, but I'd settle for LCD.

Kawai K500 (2021)
Kawai 502S (1996)
S
S
My Yamaha WX7 (1989) has a dream music desk...I can leave a half dozen books on it if I want and easily spread four pages across it. I wonder if any of their high end models have it these days? It boggles my mind why they don't, I would find it very hard to switch back to the flip down thingy if I ever get a different upright.

L
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by SuzyUpright
My Yamaha WX7 (1989) has a dream music desk...I can leave a half dozen books on it if I want and easily spread four pages across it. I wonder if any of their high end models have it these days? It boggles my mind why they don't, I would find it very hard to switch back to the flip down thingy if I ever get a different upright.

If I am not mistaken, the desk on the old WX7 is the same one that is on the current models of the YUS5. It's a terrific music desk and I don't want a flip down thingy either. The YUS5 also has a slow close lid.

I think the answer to why they don't put it on more models is cost. It has to be more expensive than the flip down model.

Last edited by LarryK; 03/04/21 09:31 AM.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK

If I am not mistaken, the desk on the old WX7 is the same one that is on the current models of the YUS5. It's a terrific music desk and I don't want a flip down thingy either. The YUS5 also has a slow close lid.

I think the answer to why they don't put it on more models is cost. It has to be more expensive than the flip down model.
I think it has to do more with design/aesthetic than anything else...people might think that the desks we prefer are simply too "institutional"? We may never know.

I do music stuffs

Current:
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
L
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp

I think it has to do more with design/aesthetic than anything else...people might think that the desks we prefer are simply too "institutional"? We may never know.

Hmm, one narrow strip of wood with a couple of hinges, attached by a few screws, is cheaper than a glued up panel with a ledge, hinges, and a mechanism that allows it to be pulled out or pushed in.

Plus, the YUS5 has a hole cut in the case of the piano behind the music desk so the sound comes out there.

I don’t think my music desk looks institutional at all.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by LarryK; 03/04/21 10:11 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Groove On
Top of the line Kawai K800 upright has a full music desk.

I agree about the lack of music desks in current offerings, it’s annoying because I won’t buy a piano without a full music desk - so it knocks a lot of pianos out of the running.

This drives me crazy, too, I don't understand what designers are thinking.

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club 🎹
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp

Hmm, one narrow strip of wood with a couple of hinges, attached by a few screws, is cheaper than a glued up panel with a ledge, hinges, and a mechanism that allows it to be pulled out or pushed in.
I guess I am thinking how the front of the piano itself is the desk, so the only thing to do is glue a simple strip of wood to keep music from sliding off. I wasn't thinking about anything fancier than that.

https://www.walterpiano.com/pianos/studio-pianos/

I do music stuffs

Current:
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1908 Knabe?
by beginagain - 12/09/21 12:54 AM
Piano lid material?
by Davdoc - 12/09/21 12:49 AM
Thoughts on Technics PR903
by McBuster - 12/09/21 12:46 AM
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,465
Posts3,151,718
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission