2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (brennbaer, Alfred La Fleur, Burkey, Alex Hutor, 36251, anotherscott, bluebilly, 10 invisible), 555 guests, and 652 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ubu Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi.

I've playing the piano for several years, on the classical side. I'm also interested in harmony and music theory. I was watching yesterday a video tutorial about jazz on a basic level where the guy explained 2-5-1 progression, wich i found very interesting, so I've been practicing on it.

Now i have the doubt how to proceed. Should i practice the very basic 2-5-1 on the 12 keys before i add more stuff? Or should i focus on just one key, or a few keys, and practice on it adding more complex stuff?

I have the feeling that I'm asking a very dumb question, but any advice is welcomed.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
The very first thing my teacher had me do when I started jazz lessons many years ago was learn the 2-5-1 in all 12 keys. Hopefully the video gave you a good voicing for the 2-5-1; one where you don't jump around much. There is nothing more central to playing jazz than getting that progression to the point where you play it almost on auto-pilot. Eventually you'll also need to learn the minor 2-5-1.

Not a dumb question at all!

I would start in a different place. I would work on learning the five basic seventh chord types in root position. I have a free lesson on this topic here:

https://www.jazzpianoonline.com/pages/chords-voicings#five-essential-seventh-chords

Once you can play these chords then you can learn to play voicings (arrangement of notes with voice leading and tension) within the context of iiVI progressions. Voicings will sound much better (these are professional voicings) and your sound will be much more sophisticated.

You may be playing the iiVs now wsith voicings but if you start by learning the basic root position seventh chords first the voicings will have more meaning.

I'm happy to chat more to help you chart a course for your study.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

My advice would be, yes, learn II V Is, as as you are, and then to expand on Bill's advice learn to understand chord types and structures. What I mean by this (apologies if you already know) is that if you see a chord symbol; for example G7, you know that its a dominant 7 and consists of the notes G B D F.

For me this was fundamental, not only for playing Jazz, but to get away from relying on having everything notated on sheet music in front of me, which just isn't practical for the vast majority of Jazz, Rock, Blues, Funk etc.

Having said that, I'm not a professional Pianist, and never will be. But that's what worked for me. Bill and a number others who post here are professional Jazz Pianists, so if in doubt take their advice!

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73, Casio PX-S3000
Yamaha YTS-475 (tenor Sax)
Pearl Midtown Drums

Ubu Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your tips.

I'll look at the progression in the 12 keys, without rushing.

Regarding chord voicings, it's an infinite field for study. I hope jazz helps me to keep an organized and systematic approach towards it.

G
G
Cannot go wrong working on ii-V-I in various keys. If you are not planning on studying with a teacher, I would suggest getting involved with one of the many jazz piano learning systems online. One I already mentioned above. I am a member of Jazzpianoschool.com and there are others that would offer more of a sense of structure vs. just pulling random videos off of youtube. I am also starting private lessons next week.

It just seems like there is too much information out there and, at least for me, it is difficult to be good at considering what is good, helpful, not helpful, possibly inaccurate, or whatever. Regardless, I need some kind of structured, step-by-step learning.

Kawaii ES-110; Casio Privia PX-S-1000
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
RE: Kurzweil SP88X
by Micahjd - 05/15/21 07:43 AM
Recital #62 - May 15th 2021
by AB Forum Recital - 05/15/21 06:20 AM
Recital #62 - General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital - 05/15/21 06:05 AM
Secondary digital piano, need to move move out a few times
by Alfred La Fleur - 05/15/21 05:19 AM
Is this rust or oxidation on the soundboard?
by Bo0osted - 05/15/21 03:35 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,941
Posts3,093,735
Members101,528
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission