2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (CodySean, Dore, Abdol, AdamJ, danno858, 2muchcoffee, deadlymajesty, Dfrankjazz, 4 invisible), 730 guests, and 534 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3088059 03/01/21 12:22 PM
T
Tznonit Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello,
Today a piano technician came to help me with a ticking pedal noise, he spread wd-40 on the action and it did eliminate the ticking noise,
Then I've read out of curiosity about the usage of this spray in pianos and I came to the hundreds of warnings not to use it.
Now it's a bit too late but I am asking if there is something to do to minimize the upcoming possible damage and what to expect.
Thanks in advance

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
A
A
where exactly he used wd40

T
Tznonit Offline OP
OP Offline
T
On the silencers, and the on several points bettwen the sustain pedal and the action. Not on the strings or something like that,

A
A
you mean dampers, but where on dampers, it's grand or upright?

Last edited by ambrozy; 03/01/21 02:24 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I saw mine using wd40 too on an action mechanism off an upright. I asked him about it, and it was a wide spread habbit he said. I believed him.
It was in this area: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YBDSdN1DcsCiGbvi9

Last edited by johan d; 03/01/21 02:31 PM.
T
Tznonit Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Like johan_d, I'm refering to an upright piano, but I cannot say for sure where he spread it. All I can say is that he did that while the action mechanism was unattached to it's place and he did that onspecific spots (about 4-5) along the way, and in the sustail pedal area itself.

Last edited by Tznonit; 03/01/21 03:26 PM.
A
A
I'm guessing he used it on the sustain damper pivot rod hinges. As far as places in a piano that one could erroneously use WD-40 go, that's a relatively low risk of it spreading into the action or onto the strings and messing things up. Still, a bit concerning that he used WD-40 in there instead of a more suitable lubricant.

Also, Johan - Using WD-40 on the actual action mechanisms - particularly action centers like the jack you circled, is NOT recommended. In fact, I'd suggest that if your tech is using WD-40 like that, it may be time to get another tech.

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
A
A
Originally Posted by adamp88
I'm guessing he used it on the sustain damper pivot rod hinges. As far as places in a piano that one could erroneously use WD-40 go, that's a relatively low risk of it spreading into the action or onto the strings and messing things up. Still, a bit concerning that he used WD-40 in there instead of a more suitable lubricant.

Also, Johan - Using WD-40 on the actual action mechanisms - particularly action centers like the jack you circled, is NOT recommended. In fact, I'd suggest that if your tech is using WD-40 like that, it may be time to get another tech.

I agree, especially with the second part.

D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
I agree too.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by adamp88

+1

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The technical data sheet for WD40 has a list of materials that it is compatible with. Wood is not on the list.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Does anyone know the long term damage of using wd40? I'm curious because I saw someone training a tech and they were using wd40 silicone spray as a general lubricant.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Silicone spray can gum up actions after a while. I have used orange oil paint thinner to wash it away, without harming the felt bushings. That freed up the action.

Semipro Tech
B
B
Traditional WD-40 does not contain silicone. They do have a silicone option, but it says silicone on the label.

Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com
Weird, well I'm not going to name the guy because I'm better than that. But I wish I could check in with his pianos in a few years lol.

N
N W Offline
N
Why oh why does wd40 get this continual bad press? Ordinary WD not their silicone one.
Inevitably it descends to comments about spray on tuning pins. We shouldn't blame the material for it's unsuitable use.
I know a technician who has used it for many years with absolutely no issues. He laughs at me for using more expensive alternatives. He has never had a comeback. I have watched him use it with the straw thing to free off sticking parts in two seconds. He uses as little as possible. On pedals it is far less intrusive than any form of grease.
Wd40 is a great product. Obviously the spray element doesn't help but I have bought it in 5litre bottles when I used to spray the underneath of my classic cars with it. I could easily have decanted some to a syringe or small oiler bottle.
It has no bad effect on wood. Why the bad press?
I challenge anyone to produce evidence of it's material failure in a piano if properly applied.
Lastly, I once did a test of rust prevention on metals. This was car related but I used a piece of wood drilled with six holes into which I glued six identical 6 inch lengths of piano wire.
I coated five of them with different branded rust preventers and then left the last one uncoated. I put this block outside and left it for one year. At the end, the only piece of wire which looked like new was the one coated in WD40. All the others had rusted away. WD40 drives off moisture and leaves a microthin coating, far thinner than silicone. My colleague has demonstrated it's use to me time and time again. I'm ashamed that I don't use it really.
So here's the challenge again....what have you seen that leads you to believe WD40 is an inappropriate material?
Nick

Last edited by N W; 03/04/21 10:00 AM.

Nick, ageing piano technician
N
N W Offline
N
I should add that I have absolutely no affiliation with the wd40 company.
Nick

D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
I carry WD40 with me and have used it on pedals. I think it's an excellent product, and your experiment with the coated piano wire lengths is fascinating.

Not unnaturally, I was against the guy near me who used to spray the tuning pins and pinblock liberally with it.

As for the possibility of using it on sluggish actions, I dunno, but I don't like the idea, when Protek CLP seems to work well. But, applied as carefully as Protek CLP, using a 'hypo oiler' bottle, I dunno!

I have used WD40 on an action but once, on a birdcage action that someone had previously applied some oil to, which had dried to a kind of varnish. Telling the client (a work colleague) that it was the only thing I could think of that would be worth trying (this was in days before Protek CLP), and the piano otherwise unplayable and untunable, they agreed for me to give it a go. It worked like magic! And stayed effective in subsequent years.

N
N W Offline
N
Looks like a resounding (though silent) victory for wd40 then?
Perhaps we should all start using it cautiously?
Nick

Uh ... no. Not at all.
Originally Posted by N W
Looks like a resounding (though silent) victory for wd40 then? Perhaps we should all start using it cautiously?
As my dad used to say ... just because somebody jumps off a roof doesn't mean you should.

WD40 has its uses. But remember ... WD stands for water displacement. Has your piano been flooded lately?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keith Jarrett's Forward "The Piano Book"
by Xam - 06/21/21 11:06 PM
Is this legal?
by Dore - 06/21/21 10:46 PM
Anyone owns KRK Rokit 10-3 g4s?
by Abdol - 06/21/21 10:42 PM
NAMM 2021 - inside scoop!
by Burkey - 06/21/21 10:30 PM
Baldwin L with a paper label serial number?
by NCP - 06/21/21 07:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,639
Posts3,106,020
Members101,876
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission