2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi,

Thought I would come here to gain some opinions and advice on some thoughts I've been having. I would like to have my piano tuned soon and was also considering asking for a regulation. But I'm not sure what that entails (or even what exactly I'd be asking for) and would appreciate some feedback.

I have a Yamaha C3 that I bought second hand and if memory serves me correctly the piano is ~40 years old now. In it's first home it was bought new for one child who went through ~10 years of lessons, then the second sibling (when an adult) got into piano and did the same thing a few years later. I am an adult beginner who has had the piano for ~10 years now. I've had the piano checked by a technician before I bought it and he has done regular tunings over the years. There were no concerns or issues noted when I bought it though we've talked about possible voicing and regulation at some point in the future. I'd consider myself an early intermediate player so not advanced by any means. In my playing lately I've noticed that sometimes I don't get a sound when playing some keys. Some keys do feel a bit different than others. Not terribly so but different. For fun I measured the touch weight using nickels and at middle C this is showing as 56g and lowest C at 61g. Some keys go down slower than others in surrounding notes (not at extreme ends of the keyboard). If I wanted to lighten this what is involved? Or if the keys were more even maybe this issue of notes not sounding might resolve itself?

This is what led me to thinking maybe it is time my piano got a good thorough once-over. I don't see any major issues and I generally enjoy the sound though sometimes some notes can sound a bit harsh. But I'm not sure if any of these things are my playing (and lack of ability) or something I should do as part of taking care of this great instrument. I want to take care and do proper maintenance on it but not entirely sure where to start. Any feedback and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some recent recordings I did using a zoom H1N recorder from a few feet away and the piano open on the half stick if you want to hear it. Last tuning was about 1 year ago.

Bagatelle
Hallelujah
Tantalizing Tango

Thanks!

Last edited by ZoeCalgary; 02/28/21 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling!
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Measuring static touchweight is not that simple, you have to understand how different thing interact witch each other, downweight, upweight, balance weight, sliding friction, static friction. I would guess that you have problems with uneven friction in action, but it's just a guess. Altering touchweight is usually an extensive job. When some keys doesn't sound when playing softly it's usually regulation issue: jack position, knuckle wear, knuckle lubrication, letoff distance.

Last edited by ambrozy; 02/28/21 04:25 PM.
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi Ambrozy. Thanks so much for your thoughts. I really appreciate it. I didn't think touch weight is that simple either reading about the large number of moving parts. And if it 'ain't broke'then I don't really want to mess with things unnecessarily. I mean I've had this piano for 10 years now so I've certainly gotten used to the weight. Not that it hasn't been an adjustment (I did organ as a kid) and I feel just lately after all this time I am beginning to notice these small things.

If regulation can be equated to a car tune up perhaps it is time!

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Zoe. A regulation should fix the problems you've mentioned, or at least identify what the problem is if it can't simply be addressed through adjustment. I highly recommend getting a good regulation done, it makes a huge difference in how your piano plays.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi Emery. Thanks for your comment. It is much appreciated. I will be talking with my technician in the next few days I hope. I’ll ask how long it usually takes and the expected cost.

As mentioned in my original post I know I’ve never had this done since owning the piano and not sure when the last regulation (if ever) was done. It’s exciting to hear that this work will make a big difference. Thanks.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Emery Wang
Hi Zoe. A regulation should fix the problems you've mentioned, or at least identify what the problem is if it can't simply be addressed through adjustment. I highly recommend getting a good regulation done, it makes a huge difference in how your piano plays.

Huge! 👍

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I have regulated and voiced a number of C3s and other pianos lately. It has made a lot of difference, enough so that owners who were thinking of replacing the pianos have decided to keep them. This should always be the first step in deciding whether to replace or rebuild a piano.

Reshaping the hammers goes most of the way towards mellowing out an older Yamaha, and some needling, properly done, can extend their life much longer, for a fraction of the price of new hammers, a new soundboard, or a new piano

The real problem is finding a tech who can do these things well. But at least if one messes that up, it is easier to fix than a bad replacement job.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission