2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 26 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 25 26
My list for 2020:

Started the year slowly on my part, will catch up smile

1. Elton John - Your Song - I initially learnt this at the beginning of 2020 but watched Rocket Man and made me want to relearn it and maintain it in my repertoire

I've been playing the piano since Jan '18.
More recently, I passed Grade 6 with distinction and plan to take Grade 7 in late 2021.

I am documenting my progress, recitals and experiences of learning how to play the piano as an adult on my YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/PeterHontaru
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peter Hontaru
My list for 2020:

1. Elton John - Your Song - I initially learnt this at the beginning of 2020 but watched Rocket Man and made me want to relearn it and maintain it in my repertoire

One of the very early EJ songs, and still my favorite, thanks for playing it.
If you like Elton John, there is an interesting discussion on the Non-Classical Pianists Forum regarding his concert introductions to the Rocket Man song.
You can find it here: Rocket Man improvisations

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
My list for 2020:

Wow, Peter ! Beautifully played — it isn't easy to learn how to play hands at different dynamics, but you nailed it 😊 It is a keeper

S
S
| | Recorded | Title | Composer | Music Period | Character |
| 1 | 2021-01-10 | As Darkness Falls | Dietzer, M’lou | Contemporary | Sad |
| 2 | 2021-01-10 | Toccata Fantasia | Tan, Chee-Hwa | Contemporary | Fantasy |
| 3 | 2021-01-24 | Prelude | Turk, Daniel Gottlob | Baroque | Romantic |
| 4 | 2021-01-24 | BWV 245/15 | Weisse, Michael | Baroque | Somber |
| 5 | 2021-01-31 | Flying Dragons | Lukas, Lisa Donovan | Contemporary | Intrepid |
| 6 | 2021-01-31 | Entrada | Praetorius, Michael | Baroque | Lighthearted |
| 7 | 2021-02-06 | August Sun | Robertson, Rick | Contemporary | Blazing |
| 8 | 2021-02-13 | BWV 245/37 | Weisse, Michael | Baroque | Huffy |
| 9 | 2021-02-20 | Prelude | Duncombe, William | Baroque | Frolicking |
| 10 | 2021-02-23 | Cherry Blossoms | Costley, Kevin | Contemporary | Drifting, Saunter |
| 11 | 2021-02-23 | Serious Thoughts | Gertein, V | Romantic | Somber, Umbrage |
| 12 | 2021-02-23 | Prelude, first movement from Serenade in C, Op. 183 No.1 | Reinecke, Carl | Romantic | Bewhitching, Fairytale |

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My list for 2020:

Both angles are totally right.
Excellent rendition and nice sound.

Jaime CLP-645
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Jaime CLP-645
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
My list for 2020:

Hi Peter. This was wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by AndresVel
Very well played Zoe! phrasing and dynamics sounded on point smile I loved both pieces, but I did not know of James Hook before. I might be checking some of his works. Very good recordings as well! How are you recording your acoustic? Is it a grand?

Hi AndresVel. Thanks for the comments and tips on the piano music book. I'm hoping to have some time to go through some pieces from that book today. I am using a portable Zoom recorder the H1N model. I have a Yamaha C3 grand (not C3X as I think I noted in the recital info by accident). I record with the recorder on a mini tripod on a short wall a few feet from the piano. The piano lid is open to the half stick when I record. I love that recorder as it gives a pretry nice sound and is quite hassle free. I used to start and stop it with retakes. But now I just keep the recorder on and trim the recording in audacity. I don't do any other changes to the file but trimming out all the retakes and silences at the start.

Last edited by ZoeCalgary; 02/28/21 03:24 PM. Reason: adjusting the quote ending.
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Greta99
@Zoe, I'm glad that you managed to get your piece ready for the Recital and loved the experience! Kudos for learning such a long piece so fast. I enjoyed you submission very much.
Are you going to participate in the Piano Transcriptions Recital?

Originally Posted by ZoeCalgary
Gretta99, Hi, just caught up on your pieces. There is something about your playing that I truly love and am fascinated with and I love the sound of your piano/recordings. I've never heard of Barbara Arens. I might have to add another book to my list too!
Thank you very much, Zoe.
I congratulate you to your additions to your music library! "Die Russische Klavierschule" has a lot of pieces. You could start with the no. 70 and work from there, skipping pieces that you cannot stand or you could select your favorites and only learn them. This youtube channel has recordings of all pieces from the book.

Hi Gretta99. Yes thanks looking forward to playing through some pieces from that book today. Thanks so much for the links to the recordings, that will help me alot!
Also, I looked at the Piano Transcriptions Recital information and I have decided to join in as I've had so much fun in the other recital. I am choosing between 2 pieces now and will add my name to the list soon.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Frustratingly, here we are on 1 March and I haven't recorded the 2 pieces I had aimed to finish by end Feb. Both are sufficiently "okay-ish" that I could call them done and move on, but I see more value in putting in more effort rather than moving on, so I just need to remind myself again not to fixate on the number of pieces smile

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by barbaram
Frustratingly, here we are on 1 March and I haven't recorded the 2 pieces I had aimed to finish by end Feb. Both are sufficiently "okay-ish" that I could call them done and move on, but I see more value in putting in more effort rather than moving on, so I just need to remind myself again not to fixate on the number of pieces smile
I have only recorded 1 piece in February and nothing happens. The goal stays the same: 40 pieces.
If I find myself in mid-November with only 10 pieces recorded, well Hanon has a lot of exercises to record wink

Jaime CLP-645
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

I've done a handful and none of mine made it beyond "okay-ish" probably even below that. I just didn't want to start spending way too much time as they all took longer than I thought even for the level I got them too.

Originally Posted by Sol Finker
I have only recorded 1 piece in February and nothing happens. The goal stays the same: 40 pieces.
If I find myself in mid-November with only 10 pieces recorded, well Hanon has a lot of exercises to record wink

Agree! Plenty of options of pieces to play to stay on track. I want to play some that I can get polished in a few days so I'm going to try and find some that are bit a easier for my next few.

Last edited by Sebs; 03/01/21 09:24 PM.
Originally Posted by Sebs
Agree! Plenty of options of pieces to play to stay on track. I want to play some that I can get polished in a few days so I'm going to try and find some that are bit a easier for my next few.

I'm opened to suggestions since I'm starting to find Martha Mier's pieces a little tricky for me. I'm not on the way to achieve the 40 pieces goal.

Jaime CLP-645
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks all for the lovely feedback. I've treated myself to the Barbara Arens book too now, as well as another from the same publisher

My Barbara Arens book arrived today, along with another by James Welburn. I'm delighted with both, after playing through a piece from each I think the level will be spot on, and very importantly my playthroughs have whetted my appetite to invest the time to play the pieces properly!
Links:
Barbara Arens - Rendezvous with Midnight
James Welburn - Musical Escapades

I realised also that I actually ordered 3 books in this order, though the other hasn't arrived yet.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks all for the lovely feedback. I've treated myself to the Barbara Arens book too now, as well as another from the same publisher

My Barbara Arens book arrived today, along with another by James Welburn. I'm delighted with both, after playing through a piece from each I think the level will be spot on, and very importantly my playthroughs have whetted my appetite to invest the time to play the pieces properly!
Links:
Barbara Arens - Rendezvous with Midnight
James Welburn - Musical Escapades

I realised also that I actually ordered 3 books in this order, though the other hasn't arrived yet.
LOL, be careful about posting links to pieces and composers; it looks like the same format that folks use to post their recordings in this thread!

Last edited by trooplewis; 03/02/21 02:30 PM.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

I'm opened to suggestions since I'm starting to find Martha Mier's pieces a little tricky for me. I'm not on the way to achieve the 40 pieces goal.

You’re pretty far along already with a handful of great recordings. My next one is going to be Sigur Ros - Untitled #3 - it’ll probably still take me longer than I want but it has such beautiful sound. Want to join in on that one?

After that one then I plan to try and search for some less challenging ones, that’ll take 2-4 days, once I come across some I will let you know too.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Sebs
Check out the syllabi for the exam board. They list pieces by Grade level

You’re pretty far along already with a handful of great recordings. My next one is going to be Sigur Ros - Untitled #3 - it’ll probably still take me longer than I want but it has such beautiful sound. Want to join in on that one?

After that one then I plan to try and search for some less challenging ones, that’ll take 2-4 days, once I come across some I will let you know too.

https://musescore.com/user/29520089/scores/5381770

Is this piece?

I'm in wink

Jaime CLP-645
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dogperson
Sebs
Check out the syllabi for the exam board. They list pieces by Grade level

Will do!

https://musescore.com/user/29520089/scores/5381770

Is this piece?

I'm in wink

That's it! I'm using that same score.

Page 10 of 26 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 25 26

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission