2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, dima5222, cygnusdei, David B, Calavera, Animisha, deadlymajesty, 13 invisible), 974 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi,

I finally restricted my choice between a new Kawai GL-30 at around 13.500 euros already available at the shop and a used Kawai RX-1 not yet available (I should eventually search for it). They have comparable sizes. I do know that the Kawai RX-1 produced after 2005 has the Millennium III action and that the RX series is superior to the previous GL series (the GE series). Of course, I would have a technician to check the conditions of the Kawai RX-1. My questions are:

1) It is worthed to spend time to find a good Kawai RX-1 instead of going directly for the new GL-30? Are there still relevant differences between them? The action should be the same and the soundboards are both tapered.

2) Which range of price would be reasonable for the RX-1?

"I tell my piano things" that I donโ€™t have to tell everyone.
smile
Frederic Chopin (revisited)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Guido - I've sent you a long private message. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
OP Offline
Thank you Carey for your long and very useful private message.

To summarize for the other readers, the Kawai RX series was much better than the GE and GM series; now the GX series is of course better than the GL series, HOWEVER, the GL series is better than the GE and GM series BECAUSE it incorporates SOME of the specifications that come from the RX series. Conclusion?

Would you buy an RX1 used piano in good condition (post-2005) or a GL-30 new piano?

smile
Just curious -

How important would a new piano warranty be to you?

How heavily is the piano you purchase going to be used?

While a used RX1 might have an edge in terms of initial build quality and specs, its current condition is what counts. When you have the opportunity to play a GL30 and RX1 side by side, I think you'll have an easier time deciding which one is right for you.

Last edited by Carey; 01/18/21 06:15 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would look for a used RX-2, and if I don't have luck with that, go with the GL-30.

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
And, have a qualified piano technician inspect your candidate for condition before you buy.

As the previous poster said (in different words), when it comes to used pianos, condition is king. Your tech (paid for by you alone, and working solely in your interest) will read its history, tell you about its condition in the present, and forecast its future. This person can tell you what kind of work the piano will require to put it in good playable condition, and estimate what it will cost, in the short term and the long. He or she can also give you an estimate of its fair value in your market.

None of these are things a person without the training and experience can know, off the top, and it is very unlikely that the present owner will be able to give you the full and true story. The modest fee a tuner will charge for this can save you from an ocean of tears, and an agony of buyer's remorse.

And, BTW, Kawai Don is right about the RX-2, especially if you can find a late model that incorporates the gradual improvements that accrued from the maker's long experience with its best-selling model.

Best of luck, Guido.

Clef

I've played a GL-30, and it sounded and played ok, but the lower bass and tenor section was really thin. I think I'd be inclined to follow Kawai Don's advice regarding the RX. I've only heard good things about the Kawai RX models.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
OP Offline
The warranty is not that important for new pianos, I guess. I do not plan to resell the piano in the near future. Unfortunately, where I live there are not many alternatives in the used pianos market. Besides I realized I would like to have a new piano anyway.

I played the GL-30 in a showroom and I liked its keyboard and its sound was better than that of GL-10. So finally I went for the GL-30, even though I know that there are better used piano for rhe same price.

As soon as I get the piano at home I will post a new comment on how it sounds in a small room compared to a very large showroom (my room is 3 meters x 5 meters, and the ceiling is 3 meters high). I guess the sound will change. I hope for the better.

Last edited by Guido, Roma - Italy; 02/19/21 01:35 AM.

smile
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations!!! ๐Ÿพ๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽˆ

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club ๐ŸŽน
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
What I hear that's good, is that you are coming to know your own mind about this expensive and important purchase. It's true that the room is not over-large, and that means that you may have to do some acoustic treatment to tame the big voice that such a piano has. I did; it took some doing, but I have not been displeased with the result. In fact, I love my piano's voice more and more every day. And, I save my ears by wearing everyday foam earplugs from Walgreens while I am playing scales and technical exercises. For the art music, the earplugs are laid aside. And every day, I feel a sense of astonishment and wonder at the beauty and presence of the living voice of the grand piano.

The manufacturer's warranty protects you from disastrous failures during the period of the warranty. These failures are rare, but they do sometimes happen. Kawai is famous for their warranty service. If it helps your nerves relax, it is worth the money; anyway, it is part of the purchase price and does not cost extra.

Clef

H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your new piano!

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you for your explanation Guido !
From you PM today ,I understand far better. Yes I think you are making the correct choice. Choosing a piano is really quite
emotionally exhausting and one can often doubt one's decisions,.especially while waiting for the piano to arrive.
You love the piano so it will all work out fine ! You enjoy the bass on the GL30 which is important. The upper notes can be voiced , and besides the piano is very new , so will settle down.
By the way the Kawai GL series is highly regarded here and quite a few members own grand pianos of this series. The action is very similar to the GX.
So congratulations you have an excellent piano by a a well known brand .Please send us some pictures when your piano arrives.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 02/20/21 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Congratulation on your brand new piano! I had a GE 30 in a room a bit larger than yours, 4 x 6.5 meters approx, and it filled the room nicely. I think yours will too.

David

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When Mozart plays a mean trick on you
by cygnusdei - 11/28/21 02:20 AM
Thin\hollow sound - improvement possible?
by TBell - 11/28/21 01:26 AM
Es920
by Jitin - 11/27/21 10:11 PM
Shopping spree reports
by Marc345 - 11/27/21 06:24 PM
Fishy scientific experiment - needs candidates.
by ZeroZero - 11/27/21 04:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,282
Posts3,149,254
Members103,450
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission