2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 47 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 46 47
For now, I think I'll get the Standard version of PTQ 7, and see how it goes. With the two Steinway D's, the Ant. Petrof and the Bluthner, I don't see how I can go wrong.

When the VPC1 says "we're ready for something else", hopefully I'll be able to hear it! smile

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SeaDrive
For now, I think I'll get the Standard version of PTQ 7, and see how it goes. With the two Steinway D's, the Ant. Petrof and the Bluthner, I don't see how I can go wrong.

When the VPC1 says "we're ready for something else", hopefully I'll be able to hear it! smile

OK, let us know your impressions once you get it!

I wish you a short wait thumb

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by EB5AGV

Thanks!

BTW, I assume that the VPC1 doesn't come with a dust cover. What do you guys use to keep the dust off it? The dust cover that I use for my P121 isn't going to fit this beast!

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Maybe a felt runner over keys will be enough, without having to cover the entire DP?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I use this cover and it fits perfectly and quick to take on and off.

VPC 1 cover

EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SeaDrive

Thanks!

BTW, I assume that the VPC1 doesn't come with a dust cover. What do you guys use to keep the dust off it? The dust cover that I use for my P121 isn't going to fit this beast!

Kawai manufactures an special cover for this and similar sized units, called DC88 XL

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
M
M
Kawai manufactures an special cover for this and similar sized units, called DC88 XL

...and it's a good one!

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)

Great! Any idea where I can get one? Sweetwater doesn't seem to stock this particular item.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Really? I'd like to buy one, too!

EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I found it in Thomann

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
It doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. cursing

I'll have to talk to my peeps at Sweetwater and see if they can get some. Maybe by September!

Being that Sweetwater is my local music store, it's not likely that I would be willing to buy the VPC1 from a different online retailer, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had it in stock.

It looked like Zzounds had it, since the "Add To Cart" button was available, but then I noticed a message that said "Get it by Fri., Apr. 16".

Something tells me that Zzounds' ETA is probably more accurate than the one I got from Sweetwater. Oh well... looks like I'll be playing the P121 for a while longer!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I maybe wrong, but I think Sweetwater are not a Kawai dealer. Having said that, they did get it back on stock faster than a Kawai dealer in Indiana (Piano Solutions in Carmen). Turns out that Piano Solutions weren't really interested in stocking the VPC1 - their showroom stocked everything else (at least 1 of the vogue digital models, including the MP11SE) - plus tons of grands, uprights, hybrids and consoles.

Last edited by mmathew; 02/25/21 08:03 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
If you go to Kawai's website and click the Find A Dealer link, Piano Solutions is the only "brick and mortar" dealer listed in Indiana, while Sweetwater appears under the heading "Internet", along with names like Kraft Music and Sam Ash.

Not sure what's up with that, but then, I have no idea how these dealer arrangements are set up. My guess is that Sweetwater sells more Kawai pianos to Indiana residents than Piano Solutions does, but that's just a guess.

EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi all,

I have thought on building a VPC1 Velocity Curve Repository

I will host it on my website, publicly available and, for every curve file, it will have the following information:

-Intended VST and VST version
-Curve/velocity setting on VST
-Author nickname (if author wants)
-Basic classification (light, medium, hard)
-Comments from the author
-Link to YouTube video using it (if available)

Anything else you think would be needed?

I would get the files and information by e-mail (send me a PM and I will provide it)

The user curve files on my Windows 10 PC are located at:

C:\Users\(username)\Documents\VPC Editor\Touch Curve

Please, let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jose

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Well, as I got zero feedback on the velocity curve repository (it is true that it was just about then when VSL added the velocity curve editor to Synchron Pianos player), I have abandoned the project.

But I am enjoying quite a lot the VPC1 and wonder if the player get used to those velocity differences which, on paper, are so large, or its just that they don't affect so much as one could think. I miss @David Lai comments on his experience with that, as I know he was struggling to get a proper response from his VPC1

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
O
O
EB5, if your curve repository has a curve for Nord Stage 3 Compact, sign me up! It really feels out of whack with the VPC1.
Going to try & create one myself soon.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Well, as I got zero feedback on the velocity curve repository (it is true that it was just about then when VSL added the velocity curve editor to Synchron Pianos player), I have abandoned the project.

But I am enjoying quite a lot the VPC1 and wonder if the player get used to those velocity differences which, on paper, are so large, or its just that they don't affect so much as one could think. I miss @David Lai comments on his experience with that, as I know he was struggling to get a proper response from his VPC1

Jose, thank you for the offer to compile a repository of velocity curves. That is very generous of you.

I did not respond because I have taken a different path. I have decided to play with a perfectly straight, lower left to upper right velocity curve, basically unmodified. I was influenced in this decision by a YouTube pianist, whose name I do not recall at the moment, who makes wonderful sounding music with his VPC1, and perhaps Pianoteq, using what he describes as default settings, or, very nearly default. His videos have been cited in discussions on this forum on several occasions, and proved to me that nice sounds can be made without tinkering with the settings.

I am about a level 3 RCM player, so, not that advanced. I know that my technique leaves much to be desired. I figured that if great piano sound is possible with default settings, and I know that my technique is lacking, perhaps all my past efforts to get to better sound via tweaking velocity curves were counterproductive by masking my deficiencies and thereby keeping me from making the necessary improvements.

I am very certain that my technique has improved since making this decision. So, I decided not to participate in your project. But, I appreciate the effort you were willing to make for the benefit of all.

What a great forum!

P.S. I decided my post would be incomplete without identifying the YouTube pianist referenced. So, I searched. He is Phil Best, and the video that influenced me is: [u]Phil Best on the art of sonority[/u]

Last edited by Ralphiano; 03/23/21 09:01 PM.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
I was influenced in this decision by a YouTube pianist, whose name I do not recall at the moment, who makes wonderful sounding music with his VPC1, and perhaps Pianoteq, using what he describes as default settings, or, very nearly default. His videos have been cited in discussions on this forum on several occasions, and proved to me that nice sounds can be made without tinkering with the settings.

P.S. I decided my post would be incomplete without identifying the YouTube pianist referenced. So, I searched. He is Phil Best, and the video that influenced me is: [u]Phil Best on the art of sonority[/u]

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Phil Best uses a Roland HP605 as his Pianoteq controller, not a VPC1. Also, when he talks about not modifying the default settings, I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Pianoteq presets, not the controller's velocity curve.

EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, for sure not a VPC1. Phil is really awesome improvising

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
Page 17 of 47 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission