2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (AaronSF, c++, brennbaer, Beansparrow, anotherscott, BlaisGuitars, 20 invisible), 1,010 guests, and 503 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by David B
I had to share this with my wife because she made me put my N1X in the basement due to the "Chinese water torture effect" from me practicing all the time and I'm just learning to play the basics.
Staying OT this is what gets overlooked when there are discussions about neighbours being intolerant to hearing piano next door. Practice, and composing, is mostly not musical at all, and comes down to intolerable noise.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
But who knows, I might just end up keeping it if I can't sell it where I won't take a big hit on it.
If you dislike the piano, you should either trade it in or sell it rather than have it collect dust and depreciate.

It might be easiest to resell back to your dealer.

There is a global shortage of new hybrid and digital pianos so this is not a bad time to sell. I only see one used avantgrand in the LA area. I don't see any used Nu1x, N1x, N2 in California for sale. I see the following used N3 models in California for sale:

- N3 Cali OAKLAND $9950 Piedmont Piano Co
- N3x Cali CARLSBAD $15000 PianoBuyer

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Originally Posted by David B
I had to share this with my wife because she made me put my N1X in the basement due to the "Chinese water torture effect" from me practicing all the time and I'm just learning to play the basics.
Staying OT this is what gets overlooked when there are discussions about neighbours being intolerant to hearing piano next door. Practice, and composing, is mostly not musical at all, and comes down to intolerable noise.

You know, my wife qualifies for Sainthood in that she's listened to me practice for almost 50 years. Well, the last 20 we've had the studio, so I guess she's had a break. grin

But yes serious, under the microscope practice can be intense and a burden on even the most tolerant person.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
When I used to play jazz, I got fed up with myself when practicing those rootless chords with some impro above. And that's despite the fact I knew the harmonic logic behind those rootless chords. Then imagine for a listener 😀

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For the time being, it's just sitting there. Looks great but not being played much, if at all. Seems like sort of a waste and again, a really expensive note pad.

Dave, you know how I feel about my N2 (I love it - zero room in my house for a grand.) I have a question, if you bought a used N3 or used N1, N2 or N1X and paid $7000 or less, would you be more incline to liking it more, for what it is, and enjoy it more? I know I would have trouble justifying a huge expense for a practice piano with a D sitting out in my studio.

AvantGrand N2 | ES110 | Mojo 61 | GK MK & MP amps
V
V
Originally Posted by Marchelune
I guess the N3X is in a very specific market position, since it does take space like a real acoustic ... but isn't smaller than regular acoustic grands? I remember my piano teacher advising against very small grands because their sound was usually worse than uprights, so that's where the N3X shines I guess.
Plus, it's pretty grin.

This is precisely why I opted for the N3X over a 5-foot Yamaha GB1K Silent Grand. Far more sound and low-end resonance for the size. I wouldn't characterize the N3X as being the same size as acoustic grands, at least none worth mentioning... it's a nice and tidy size... still the crown jewel of my living room a couple years in... wink

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by 36251
For the time being, it's just sitting there. Looks great but not being played much, if at all. Seems like sort of a waste and again, a really expensive note pad.

Dave, you know how I feel about my N2 (I love it - zero room in my house for a grand.) I have a question, if you bought a used N3 or used N1, N2 or N1X and paid $7000 or less, would you be more incline to liking it more, for what it is, and enjoy it more? I know I would have trouble justifying a huge expense for a practice piano with a D sitting out in my studio.

Peter, hmm.... I'm not sure about that. But in any case I've decided, at least for the time being, to hold onto it. As time goes on, I think I'll have more appreciation for its function in the house. And again, it makes my wife happy to have it there...as long as I practice quietly. laugh

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 02/21/21 06:01 PM.

V
V
But in any case I've decided, at least for the time being, to hold onto it. As time goes on, I think I'll have more appreciation for its function in the house. And again, it makes my wife happy to have it there...as long as I practice quietly. laugh

Hi Dave, I finally caught up on your saga... I'm a neophyte compared to you but I'm hoping you settle in and find good use for your N3X. What percent of the time would you say you use headphones?

I used to have mine tucked in the corner like yours but ended up turning it around to where the piano lid opens towards the room. Found the acoustics to be much, much better this way. As a bonus, it allowed me to tuck a microphone stand, laptop, and mixer to the left of the piano bench for much more functionality without the visible mess. (I'm married too... ha!)

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Hi. In the limited time I've played it in the eleven days I've owned it, I haven't used the headphones at all. That was one of the main purposes of getting something with speakers. In hindsight, I should've just bought a P-515, or something like that. I would say it has 35 minutes of total time on it, if even that. Maybe 3-5 minutes a day. I'm trying to acclimate to it but it's not going well.

I got in almost 3 and a half hours practice yesterday. Thought I'd try for 15 minutes on the AG. I got up after 45 seconds. wink frown

Regarding placement- we had the movers try various positions and it seemed to be the best fit tucked into that corner. It looked weird, or off scale, having it against the wall with the open lid towards the room, like my old S6 was positioned. It looked too stubby might be the best way to describe it.

I'm doing some heavy lobbying for a 7'er.

V
V
Sorry to hear about your struggles... I agree tucked in the corner is most economical for space... I, too, tried it facing the room originally and did not think (on first blush) it made a difference.

But after months of struggles I said " heck, let's try again," turned it around, and gave it another go. After a week I was convinced the effect was not placebo; it really did sound better (and looked acceptable to the wife............ after a time). It sounds like you're in dire straits, there. May I humbly suggest you give it a try? What else ya got to lose?

... Of course it really doesn't help that you're jumping back and forth between a quality acoustic grand and the AG! I think you'd have a much time acclimating if the AG was all you had!

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Completed My 42 Week Pandemic Teaching Project
by tonystride - 06/22/21 03:41 PM
Kawai NV5 Users Group
by JBishop - 06/22/21 03:28 PM
Vax77 Folding Piano Review 2021
by AlphaTerminus - 06/22/21 01:12 PM
Recording an upright using ORTF?
by Beemer - 06/22/21 11:46 AM
Caution with cheap SSDs
by newer player - 06/22/21 11:08 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,655
Posts3,106,285
Members101,884
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission