2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
32 members (chronos1701, Damien PG, bluebilly, bilb, CyberGene, Boboulus, 12 invisible), 971 guests, and 528 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
A

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Changing the punchings will throw your key level to the wind. Okay if you want to just try a few and then decide, but I would not change them all. If you like the effect, then chisel the existing ones. (Unless of course you enjoy leveling keys...its below the bottom of my list of enjoyable activities).

That's just my opinion though.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
P
Pooya Offline OP
OP Offline
P
ambrozy, just one word: amazed!

E
E
Before you cut the punchings, just try removing a few punchings and putting a toothpick to the back of the balance rail pins.
This will show you the maximum improvement you can get by changing the balance point of the keys. (This is a test, not the final setup...but if it works and isn't too noisy...?)
When you understand the principle, you can get the result by cutting the cloth punching and gluing it to the key bottom, or cutting and gluing bits of cardboard to produce the desired balance point.
You could also run a string under the punchings to raise the front or back side...completely reversable.

Ed Sutton, RPT
Just a piano tuner!
Durham NC USA
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Pooya
Originally Posted by Gene Nelson
There is one other non invasive way to gain a bit more leverage and shave a little off that down weight while maintaining that great down/up ratio you now have:
It depends on how the keys fit in relation to key slip and fallboard.
Raising the key height will travel the capstan toward the whippen pivot point.
Gene, this sounds like an intriguing way of modifying the action ratio ever so slightly. How do you suggest achieving that?
Originally Posted by Pooya
There is one other non invasive way to gain a bit more leverage and shave a little off that down weight while maintaining that great down/up ratio you now have:
It depends on how the keys fit in relation to key slip and fallboard.
Raising the key height will travel the capstan toward the whippen pivot point.
Gene, this sounds like an intriguing way of modifying the action ratio ever so slightly. How do you suggest achieving that?

First check key fit at the key slip. If you raise a natural how far can you raise it before the bottom of the key is visable or a little less than that?
Next, how far will the fallboard allow the keys to be raised? How thick is that fallboard felt? Can a thinner felt be used?
Next: if you decide that the keys can be raised slightly use the same thickness balance rail punchings to keep keys level and the same thickness front rail punching to maintain key travel.

RPT
PTG Member
P
Pooya Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Guys, what's up with "§ 14 BGB" and the online store requiring that the purchaser be an enterprise? Any idea how I can order these optimized balance washers (OBW)? They look very interesting.

P
Pooya Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Ed Sutton
Before you cut the punchings, just try removing a few punchings and putting a toothpick to the back of the balance rail pins.
This will show you the maximum improvement you can get by changing the balance point of the keys. (This is a test, not the final setup...but if it works and isn't too noisy...?)
When you understand the principle, you can get the result by cutting the cloth punching and gluing it to the key bottom, or cutting and gluing bits of cardboard to produce the desired balance point.
You could also run a string under the punchings to raise the front or back side...completely reversable.
Great ideas, especially re how to test the principle, thanks Ed!

First check key fit at the key slip. If you raise a natural how far can you raise it before the bottom of the key is visable or a little less than that?
Next, how far will the fallboard allow the keys to be raised? How thick is that fallboard felt? Can a thinner felt be used?
Next: if you decide that the keys can be raised slightly use the same thickness balance rail punchings to keep keys level and the same thickness front rail punching to maintain key travel.
Understood, thanks for the clear explanation, Gene!

N
N
Originally Posted by Ed Sutton

A nugget! Thanks, Ed!

Mark Dierauf, RPT
NH Pianos
Piano technician & rebuilder since 1978
www.nhpianos.com
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Just to go back to the original post I'm very surprised that the manufacturer says 62gm is within the specification. What other pianos have such a high downweight? None of my keys have a downweight above 50gm.
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
The video showed one key with a down weight of 62g (or less) and another of 56g (or less). I wonder whether down weight is the main problem. Ed McMorrow's suggestion of getting another pianist to play the piano sounded like a good idea.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
Re-reading the original post, I see "However, I noticed that the balance rail holes understandably need some easing. This resulted in a dramatic improvement in touch and feel "

Brings up a question. Was the easing done on the balance rail hole, or was it done on the balance rail bushings? If the thickness of the sole, shoe, plate, or whatever we are calling the bottom of the balance hole, has been addressed, then it is on to other things. However, if only the bushings were eased, that still leaves the dimension of the shoe in question and if it is over 4 mm, that should be addressed before beginning to disassemble and re engineer a new Kawai action. I don't know why these sole plates are so often overly thick, but I have just finished an action on a 1923 Steinway and it was 6 mm. Big difference in the feel by making this one change.

I have also seen the same problem on a 1984 Steinway and a 1990 Yamaha S-400. The S-400 really surprised me, as that was supposed to be the hand-finished line of Yamaha. It was given to the school by a music producer who hated the piano, telling us that it "never loosened up" and was a thick, sluggish, feeling action after several years of use. The students and I agreed, nobody wanted to practice on that piano. I re-dimensioned the sole plates and the piano was a completely different animal. Fast, sensitive, easy to play.

??
Regards,

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Changing the punchings will throw your key level to the wind.

Hi Peter. If the BR punching thickness remains uniform after cutting (or replacing), why would key level become uneven?

Daily driver: Yamaha Avantgrand N1
First crush: Kawai GL10, MP11SE
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
Emery, experience, experience, experience.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hmm... I cut my punchings and I never noticed the keys became unlevel. Maybe I need to check again. But mechanically, what is happening? Isn't the thickness of BR punchings, and thus the distance each key is raised off the BR, what determines key level? Why would that change simply by cutting off the front 1/4 of each punching?

Daily driver: Yamaha Avantgrand N1
First crush: Kawai GL10, MP11SE
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I am in agreement with Ed on the shoes or plates being too thick. Even if the hole at the bottom of the balance rail is free enough for the pin to drop of its own weight, if the shoe is too thick, then the pin can bind against the back side of the hole higher up from the bottom. It's a weird feeling at the key for the pianist too. I have a cutting tool that I can insert from the top through the mortise to relieve the sides to set depth

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Emery,

I was referring to changing the punchings to pre cut ones. I advised cutting the existing ones which would not affect key level (if done correctly).

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
P
Pooya Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Update: the recommended technician by my dealer visited and tuned my piano for the first time. They thought I had done a good job easing the keys. They did not weigh the keys (mentioned they are more of a voice guy), but after playing the piano a bit mentioned that they did not find anything amiss and that the action feels good (and I tend to agree). They explained the usual that some brands tip the scale more on the heavy side, especially concert Steinways, and Kawai and some tip to the lighter side, e.g. Yamaha and Bechstein. They also believed that new pianos will take a while to reach their peak performance and that I also need to get used to the piano (which I think I am, little by little).

Last edited by Pooya; 02/23/21 01:40 AM.
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I would look for a non dealer recommended tech who would take an interest in your concerns, take some measurements and let you know what can be done in order to give you the feel you desire as opposed to telling you to adapt.

RPT
PTG Member
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Ditto to what Gene said. Dealer tech is a non-starter.

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
IMO, the recommended technician's assesment explains it well.

Kawai grands have been known for their heavier action. That is how they are.

Since you like the tone, and do not consider replacing your piano with a lighter action one such as a Yamaha, it is best that you get accustomed to this action as it is.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Forgotten gems in the ABF recital Index
by KevinM - 06/19/21 05:25 AM
Nocturne Sounds developing new upright VI
by newer player - 06/19/21 01:50 AM
Roland fp-30X vs fp30 keybed noise level
by netcom61 - 06/19/21 01:40 AM
Scriabin and Rachmaninoff on the Yamaha S7X.
by Sonepica - 06/19/21 12:57 AM
SOS I’m Feeling Scattered
by PianogrlNW - 06/19/21 12:10 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,595
Posts3,105,045
Members101,852
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission